Kung Fu (beta)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This is packaged together with Wild Magic because eventually a third skill will be added and this will become EDoDSIII, but for now, Kung Fu is the important part.

Some notes:
    * Because Kung Fu abuses the "buff icon" bug, you cannot start a new stance without MANUALLY removing the old stance using the "X" on the buff icon in the upper left.

* Because you can only use one Kung Fu skill at a time, each skill is QUITE powerful. They're intended to be balanced against about 50% of an ENTIRE skill tree, so expect results. :)

* Unfortunately, target- and player-HitEffectBuffs don't pop up their names if you call them from within buff tags, so it's kind of hard to tell when things are happening somtimes. I've tried to add ample graphical signals so you can tell that something happened, but it can still sometimes be easy to miss. In particular, the Batty procs (one that adds +5 piercing drain damage on a normal hit, and one that 'counterattacks' WHEN hit with a 6 Piercing attack) are fairly hard to see happening. Most of the rest are visible either by the buff icons on you or the monster or by seeing pretty obvious special effects go down.

Please reply here with any bugs, crashes, balance issues, suggestions, or +1s. :)

Edit: Reposted with correct icons. Please to retry. :)

Edit: Lots of minor balance changes. Most of the latter-half stances are moderately weaker. In particular, Kleptomania procs significantly less often, the magma carroty and statue stance damage bonuses are significantly lower. The tactical-pyre-surround proc goes off slightly more often.

Attached Files:

Razarus, lccorp2, Lorrelian and 2 others like this.
  2. Werediggler

Werediggler Member

I've played up to the third level in the skill and have only encountered one, not so serious, cosmetic bug. It has to do with the Deadly Toxin debuff that the Tuber stance sometimes procs. The icon for it's effect is twice the normal size and is bigger than the text box. So far the mods quite fun, thanks for another great mod Essence.

3. Essence

OK, uploaded a fix to that. Also added credit to Loren in the mod description, and changed the buff icon to one that doesn't have it's fist covered by the "remove buff" X. :)

4. jadkni

jadkni Member

Trying to activate the first skill causes me to crash.

5. Loren

Loren Member

Essence must have forgot to add the modified icons I sent him.

6. Essence

Didn't I? I just said my most recent upload included the new buff icon. What am I missing?

jadkni, what version of DoD and what OS?

7. Loren

Loren Member

essence, it's not in there. I just checked again. Also, the other "old" wild magic and kung fu base icon are still being included. Perhaps you packed an old version? both kung_fu_buff.png and kung_fu_buff32.png aren't included. and the other new ones, like I said

8. Essence

kk. no time right now, but I'll fix it first thing tomorrow.

9. jadkni

jadkni Member

I made a hasty temp-fix for myself.

I think this might be my first character to Dredmor. Take that as you will, but I attribute my success less to Kung-Fu being insane (it is pretty dang good though) and more to discovering that crossbow onhits, do, in fact, work with unarmed attacks. Funny that.

10. Essence

OK, the corrected version is now up. Please to redownload. :)

11. What's template 600 for?

12. Essence

QiGong's: Spirit Bomb. It's not referenced in Kung Fu, though. Why ask here?

13. It's in the zip!

14. Essence

Oh, right. That's because I started the project with a copy of EDoDSI and just never removed the template.xml. It's an appendix.

15. Loren

Loren Member

Essence, It's (again/still) missing the buff icon and the changed icons. Let me PM you with a full set so you can just wipe out the existing icons.

16. Essence

OMG I'm a F***ING MORON!

I thought the problem was with the code. It never occurred to me that I had unzipped all of the icons into the wrong mod's folder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaa.....!

Fixing presently. :)

[edit]Fix'd![/edit]

Wi§p and ElectricMessiah like this.
  17. Essence

First round of balance changes posted.

18. Are they big changes, or small tweaks? We are using the previous version of this mod for LPx64.

19. jadkni

jadkni Member

If the Magma Carrot nerf is the most severe change, it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

20. Essence

Small tweaks.

Reduced tuber regen to 4.
    Increased carroty regen to 9.

Reduced Statue crushing damage to 6
    Reduced Carroty burning damage to 2.

Reduced Klepto proc rate to 10 (from 20, so that's big.)
    Increased Pyre-surround proc rate to 12

[edit]Tested: updating shouldn't break your saves. :) [/edit]