Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Godwin

Godwin Member

Well, not really. I mean... we maybe have a bit of a different approach but in practice I think we'd agree on 80% of each other's approach (when we take away personal taste/conviction/prediction capabilities).

EDIT: So I disagree that we will agree to disagree since I agree with your agree!

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Godwin

Godwin Member

3. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera
    Instant support from me.
    Planescape: Torment was a classic, and the best of the D&D-based games (I'm not a fan of the D&D game system and the direction in which it evolved by any stretch of the imagination, but Planescape: Torment was a classic by any standard. And what I've seen so far of Wasteland 2 looks great.

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Divinity: Original Sin is now on Kickstarter. I'm torn about this, frankly, as it seems a little cheeky and against the spirit of the system. They're basically asking for $400k to add more stuff to a pretty-much finished game.

I've pledged $35 as I'm a Larian fan and I want this game, but I won't deny I'm still a bit concerned about it.

8. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yeah I backed Shroud of the Avatar as huge fan of Ultima, also backed Torment 2 as big fan of the first :)
    And yes.. I backed Divinty Original Sin after seeing the trailer, thanks Althea :)

9. omeg

omeg Member

Loved Divine Divinity and Original Sin is supposed to be in DD's spirit so they have my money.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

LB pissed me off with Ultima 8 and Ultima Online so much that it killed the series entirely for me. I will never play the series again.

Those jumping puzzles in 8 were so awful that they made me throw away my purchased copy of the game. And UO was nothing but a gear gainer that inevitably led to newbies swarming the few with decent equipment and killing them to take it. Then hundreds of hours of mining and crafting were gone and there was exactly nothing that could be done to fix it. The first few times this happened while you were wearing dragon gear was terrible, but the fact that it would continue every time you appeared anywhere ruined it for me.

LB needs to be mugged every time he leaves his castle. (Yes, LB has a castle in real life.)

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Looks pretty sweet and I like turn based rpgs, so I'll definitely check it out when it comes out.

12. Godwin

Godwin Member

13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

14. Godwin

Godwin Member

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

oh look a game where you go and save the girl and it has retro-style graphics how fucking original

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Original is a word that in reality means "Has not been done exactly the same in a while". Make a new Tetris clone right now on a common platform and someone will call it original.

True original ideas have not happened in our lifetimes.

What disturbs me is when I see games with massive textures for retro-looking graphics. Anyone remember the original "Super Mario Brothers"? That game was 4 kilobytes. No kidding. It had good reason to be retro looking to our eyes now. So trying to make things look retro is just an excuse to let the graphics artists do less work. (They have stressful jobs anyway, but any competent GA would prefer to do the work right the first time than to have to re-do it because idiots changed their mind at the last moment.)

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Uh. No. Just no.

18. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Actually, that's not true, at least not strictly speaking.

First, retro is a look which can inspire nostalgia. Some people use a retro look to communicate that their games are a lot like the games that people used to enjoy so much in the past (forget that nostalgia is viewed through rose-colored glasses). For a lot of us, our best memories of games are those in the (relatively) distant past. There IS a bit of truth to it. Games have changed, as a greater emphasis has been put on graphics over substance, or because of feature creep (the phenomenon where devs simply throw every feature at a game, but don't think about the basics, like an interface or how smoothly the game can actually be played).

The idea that you are using 16 bit graphics is also used to communicate the concept that you are putting much more of your resources into gameplay than you might otherwise. That may or many not actually be the case. But that's what it 'says'.

19. Godwin

Godwin Member

It's also not true OR trivial that
    I mean, either you call building castles similar to Tetris, OR you call tetris original. (let's be on the safe side here and say that by 'Tetris' I actually mean the first game of the kind)
    There are a lot of original games in our lifetime.

That said, this isn't one.
    But, since my prime motivation to play a game is enjoyment, I do not care that much. I thought it looked enjoyable.
    I honestly don't see why my post deserved such a harsh reaction :p

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I always overreact. Take no offense Godwin. I mean no harm.

Kazeto and Godwin like this.