Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Kaiju City Stomping update!

So, as these things go, Kaiju-a-Gogo could be going better. To continue with their goal of raising awareness without having to spend lots of marketing dollars, Kerberos is trying something called a Thunderclap. And I quote from this post-

"We have set up a Thunderclap campaign for Kaiju-A-GoGo - for those of you not familiar with Thunderclap, basically you support our thunderclap. Provided we get at least 100 people by next Tuesday, at 2PM that day the Thunderclap goes off, and our message about Kaiju-A-GoGo echoes out across supporter's social media, all at once. Besides spreading the word, there is the potential for Kaiju-A-GoGo to trend, which just leads to more awareness and hopefully backers.

This is new to us, so we're very keen to see how it works out, and to do that, we need it to go off, so we're asking you to have a look and join the group!

Any questions, I'll try and answer them, but if you go to the site, there's a video that explains it pretty well.

Cheers!"

[​IMG]

I don't really do the social media thing, but if it is of interest I hope you check it out. MONSTERS!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

To be fair, I'm actually kinda getting fed up of opening my e-mails to find two or three (at least) backer updates, and their constant spamming of Twitter with stuff.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just redeemed my Kickstarter backer key for Dungeonmans. And despite some sexist ideology, I made a female character as my first Dungeonmans.

It is just a meme. Relax. It should in no way offend you. An interesting side-note, it allows you to choose your gender, and then allows you to choose what your avatar will look like from both genders.

The game is still pretty unfinished, but very playable. (Much more so than it was back in the beginning.)

If anyone is interested in playing it, may I suggest making a Rangermans as your first character? It is the best for the early game by far. (No, that is not a typo.)
    *Edit* Removed the word ladies, as it was apparently offensive to someone. (I am so very confused.)

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I can't even bring myself to snarl at you for this.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I finally figured out how to get my Steam key (was up all night first trying to figure out the problem, and then, of course, I had to try the new version.... and of course I started out doing fairly well, so an hour later... brings me to nearly 8 am lol.

The game really has come a long way, but I thought it was playable all along. There were and are problems, and it still doesn't have the greatest UI. But I'm still enjoying it.

BTW, I think Necromans is also a relatively easy start (well technically, I specced into a Wizard/Necro hybrid) . I actually felt immortal... until I suddenly found out I wasn't lol. It was wierd. I'm killing everything and I'm untouchable... and then it all hit the fan...

My advice is that don't take the game for granted. Just because things are going well, don't assume that you can put off taking multi-target attacks or escape skills. Because that's kind of how it works. Things are going well, and then suddenly there's a boss and a dozen normal mobs, many with ranged attacks, and if you don't have a way of dealing with them then the game is close to an end. Also, use your potions and scrolls, and heal up before you open a door.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

At least they're trying, it's better than 0 updates and then a cancel on the final day.

That said, I have made a specific filter and folder in my email just for kickstarter now...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

For one of them, I'm getting duplicate updates, because they had this thing where if you already was a supporter but would add another dollar (for the second kickstarter), you'd get some bonus (I don't even remember which kickstarter it was or what the bonus was). So now I'm listed twice on their mailing list.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Oh, certainly, I just wish they'd do like one a day.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Btw, had that hour was all one character, and he's still alive. I almost died in the very first dungeon when I was being chased by a boss and a bunch of other mobs, and so I used a scroll of escape dungeon, (which takes an incredibly long time to work), and I got out with only 2 hp left, no heal potions, no mana potions, no anti-missile scrolls, etc. It's amazing how slow time seems to pass while you are running for your life praying that the damned scroll will finally go off... That was one of my best experiences in the game so far. I just love escaping death by the skin of my teeth.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Am I misunderstanding the problem? The way I recall the problem, it was basically that people had the idea that it was a gender specific game. Dungeonmans, not Dungeonmans/Dungeonwomans/Dungeonothers.

I apologize, but I still have no idea what is wrong. I thought the game was well designed, and that the earlier gender bias, real or imagined, was negated by the changes. Just write me off as too clueless to understand if that is what the problem is.

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

For a start, you said "Calm down, ladies". You could not have been more patronising without saying "Calm down, girls."

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well, I presumed that the title "Mans" was a pun referring to men. So I assumes that men would not be the ones offended by the pun.

But why is this so offensive to you? Is there any way of describing a being that has a gender without offending you?

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Certainly, but I think we - i.e. people in general - were clarified of the Dungeonmans title a while back, and from what I remember it's a bit of a parody anyway.

Going "Calm down, ladies, there's girls in it" is just patronising and offensive.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

In case you have not noticed, I removed that word from my comment above about 20 minutes before your last post. So I think you can stop reminding my what a sexist pig I must be.

Is there anyone here I do not have to apologize to? 'eff this. I quit.

I am sorry to all who feel my choice of words was improper. I never once said that women are inferior to men, nor made any sexist remarks. Crucify me all you want. I am unsubscribing from this thread. Good day people of any and all genders, or none at all if that is what I must apologize next for excluding.

16. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

Dude, I wasn't attacking you or being aggressive, I was just saying that that's why it's seen as a bad thing to say, it wasn't an attack on you, just on the term in general.

Anyway, kickstarter, I've been going through lately and giving support to local artists, it's kinda fun.

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Moving swiftly on from our latest amateur dramatics club performance...

Is it just me, or is Kickstarter kinda still this overused thing? I'm seeing more and more established studios turning to it - and, more worryingly, repeatedly so - or they're going to it as another project closes. It's the same with Early Access, too.

But in other Kickstarter news, The Sunless Sea (I think that's its name) got Greenlit for Early Access (after its KS), which is good, I guess. And Cosmic Star whatever is still in development and I have no idea when it will actually come out or anything.

18. Well, I was going to chime in and help clarify this from my perspective, but apparently others already chimed in did and things have moved on. But! For posterity, since I thought the title was laughably bad AND offensive, and had commented on it, saying "Relax ladies" really resonates as an attack on me and my gender. You know, like calling me a girl.

Since you said you were confused, in general it is hard to argue with the policy of NOT commenting on gender unless someone else brings it up to you. And accept that you are entering into highly charged territory.

Re general kickstarter news, I don't really follow it much- Kerberos's project is essentially my 3rd or 4th. So I could be coming very late to the "KS fatigue" party. I would want 5x a week updates from a project I was backing- would show they are interested and serious about the project.

Is there some sort of developing etiquette for how frequent your KS updates should be?

19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I doubt there's any one right answer. For me, I'd say once per week is more than sufficient, with the exception of special announcements (such as reminders that you need to fill out surveys). I think once per month would be the minimum for games deep in the early development stages, when nothing really is happening, just so we know that the project (and its developers) are still alive.

20. I can see that for games that have reached their goal. What about games that are still urgently seeking funding?