Kickstarter Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Godwin

Godwin Member

I hope it's okay that I do this.

I was thinking about how I sometimes wanted to discuss kickstarter games with my 'friends' (am I allowed to say that?) here.
    Games that I not necessarily back or that I am so psyched about that they merit their own forum post.
    Games that may be innovative, quirky, made by completely unknown people. Games at the bottom of the list.
    Or of course games you ARE psyched about.
    Or just any kickstarter (or indiegogo I guess) game YOU want to talk about.

So, let me start with this one:

Demon Cave - Roguelike. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/170983064/the-demon-cave

What do you guys think? It might be nice... it looks as if it will be like being near a monster zoo all the time... lots of action. It has a really low budget but even so I'm unsure if it will make it's goal. It still has quite some days left though.
    This one I did back by the way. It seems rather fun. I am hoping for a high difficulty, that every level could be like a puzzle on how to go about it.

OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Looks interesting, but the stretch goals are a bit weird. 10k for generated items, a feature nearly every roguelikes have had?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

That is either pure cheese tactics or a very poor wording on the stretch goals.

Generated items I presume means a randart generator. That can be taken from any of a hundred existing open sourced games and modified to work for this. Sorry, but that pretty much spells doom for this game. That would be like DoD having a random color switcher for your armor and calling it an expansion pack.

(I freely admit I can be a damned asinine jerk. But at least I say it how I see it.)

*Edit* 15k for Generated Monsters? Huh? How can they even pretend this is unique or not required? Every major Roguelike has random unique monsters.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Hell. I see now. The developer makes shitty flash games. Look at his site to see for yourself. No way I would support that junk.
    http://www.unboundedgames.com/

5. Daynab

I kind of assumed it could mean something else, like randomly generated monsters in general, similar to the way Starbound is going to do it, but you could be right.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I read the proposal and I also have mixed feelings about the game. But I tend to be on the skeptical side. I hope it's a good game, but I'm not currently sure I'd be willing to back it. I want to see a working prototype, at least.

I did try one of his other games -- yes it's a flash game, and it's kind of mindless fun. It's one of those games that you pick up to play, and maybe spend 15 minutes or more having a bit of fun with, but you'll forget about it the next day.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Godwin

Godwin Member

I just played one of his games (Darkest Days). It's not shitty... in fact it's rather fun :) if you like those type of games.
    I got to level 10.

Buuut yeah... I didn't think the game was going to be flash... tbh that indeed puts me off.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Daynab

Yeah flash doesn't mean it's a bad game, there are some great games on flash (like pandemic, monster's den series, or binding of isaac), but I'm going to wait until it's out and see what people think about it before buying it, probably.

Since this is the kickstarter thread, there is this already complete one that I wanted to share anyway as I'm really looking forward to it. The game is the sequel to a free university end of year project that was amazingly unique, http://nitronic-rush.com/
    It wasn't really a racing game, more a... car survival game? Anyway Distance is looking pretty promising, with actual racing and even multiplayer.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Godwin

Godwin Member

Cool! yes, I came across this as well. I will be interested in see where it ends up. It sounds fun, but I haven't played Nitronic Rush so I can't really judge yet. Loving the TRON vibe though ^^

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Daynab

Do it, it's free. Keep in mind you sorta need a controller (and I say this as someone who plays every game he cans with kb and mouse).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Godwin

Godwin Member

Ok thanks. Well, I got a Street Fighter controller here... I hope that works :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Kazeto, Daynab, Aegho and 3 others like this.
  13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Grats! Good luck with the game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Congratulations. We are all happy to hear of your success with the money side of your massive project. I wish you equal or better luck with the coding and artwork and all the rest for your massive project.

15. Godwin

Godwin Member

Wow! Congratulations!! All the best :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Daynab

Grats, glad to hear it!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Only 3 days left on the Kickstarter for Elite Dangerous, one of my personal favorite projects. They are VERY close, but not quite there. I'm hoping they get the money.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Aegho

Aegho Member

Tossed a £20 pledge to Elite Dangerous... despite my misgivings.

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Aegho

Aegho Member

Elite Dangerous has reached its kickstarter funding goal.

EDIT: Kickstarter ended. Total funding: £1,578,316 pledged of £1,250,000 goal, meeting both its stretch goals, meaning mac version 3 month after PC release as well as 10 more player ships.

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. Godwin

Godwin Member

Next up:

Samsa (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131792735/samsa-a-rpg-game-focus-in-your-freedom-of-choice)

Just watch the plot trailer on the main kickstarter page (about halfway down): gave me goosebumps. Yes, it's a pretty common theme, but my body apparently felt something, and that's good.
    I also like the art style (I am a fan of sexy female characters, I just cannot deny it, but it's not only that... just watch the plot trailer again).
    And I like the freedom it says to give, the multiple dialogue options etc.

OmniaNigrum likes this.