IVAN

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Chiko, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Chiko

Chiko Member

http://www.attnam.com/downloads/

IVAN, Iter Vehemens ad Necem, is a hardcore roguelike I recently started playing. It isn't as complicated as other roguelikes but it's pretty brutal, and its simple looking tileset reflects that with little animated sprites. Characters can bleed all over the place, vomit when sick or at will, rot, starve, get scared, lose limbs and die horribly.

Every body part has its own health and getting an unarmored limb severed is pretty easy if you are not careful. There's a number of gods that can help you in most cases, they can even send angels or attach/grow a lost limb.

An interesting thing about this game is the material system. Everything is made of one or two materials, which affects the stats of items and limbs. Naturally, steel made swords will do more damage and be less likely to break and rust than iron swords... All materials are related to a God, so if you pray to your favored ones while missing an arm, there's a chance they'll give you an arm made of one of their materials. Not always a good thing since some materials could be banana flesh, glass, cloth or another material unable to restore health points.

Kazeto, Gorbax and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

The premise sounds pretty much like exactly what I want to play!
    Which I will do soon enough!

Chiko and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I really like IVAN, though it's one of the most brutal roguelikes ever. Only I have had some issues with my keyboard language not letting me use go down or up stairs and you can't rebind them sadly.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. Chiko

Chiko Member

Have you tried adding english as part of the key config in windows? You can then chose between them when you want but they also will automatically go back to your language config once you close the game.

5. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Switching input languages in Windows is a pain, 90% of the time it won't do it when you've set it to, even when working with the specific program list. And I still think alt + shift is a retarded key combination to change something as vital as the keys you're pressing being the keys you want.

edit: I accidentally a word

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Chiko

Chiko Member

Lol yeah, it sometimes changes back when you selected an option and takes 2 or 3 tries. It usually changes when you open or close windows so make sure to do it when you are running the game.

Edit: Making golems is more interesting than raising zombies in this game. Zombies can use equipment but will eventually rot away. Golems can be made using anything you are carrying... even one of your limbs. I used my severed arm to grow one. It's... MY SON. @_@

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. Chiko

Chiko Member

I barely escaped certain death in my current game... Doesn't look like it was good news, though.
    [​IMG]

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I can make it work by switching language layout but then it messes up the rest of my programs and since I multitask a lot while playing I'm kind of too lazy to do it.

9. Chiko

Chiko Member

Modding it is really easy too. Luckily, the devs externalized enough things to allow modifications.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. jadkni

jadkni Member

IVAN is one of my favorite roguelikes. It strikes a fantastic balance between graphic minimalism and showing you just enough to spark your imagination, and the material system makes every run feel unique (unless you game the hell out of the system with Change/Harden Material scrolls). Not very long, but it doesn't need to be to kick your ass repeatedly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Chiko

Chiko Member

I saddens me that IVAN is no longer under development. It has so much potential. :(