Item Editors & Lootfrisk (online item sharing database)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rmuk, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Dunno if i'm doing something wrong but I can't get "Item Insert" to work...

I ran it for the first time, selected the path to DoD.exe. Then I closed it to play with Armoursmith, now everytime I try to open the inserter it closes itself after flashing on the screen for like a second.

I'm yet to see any self-made items in my game, cleared the whole 1st floor just now. I just can't insert my crap lol.

2. rmuk

rmuk Member

Hiya Buckle,

D'oh, thanks for the report!

Edit: Ok, should be fixed now. New link in the first post - sorry for any inconvenience!

3. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Also, whenever inserted rings/amulets are found in game they are given Artefact names rather than the names given during creation.

4. Fatdude

Fatdude Member

Re-uploaded a few items but i wasnt able to upload a file 525kb of size and i get file too big error with that.Whats the max size for items and how do i reduce the size?

5. ArtenXevious

ArtenXevious Member

Item uploaded to Lootfrisk. I am a sick and twisted person.

I actually like the system, but it seems to take a little much time retrieving item data.

Edit: Is there any way to load up an item that you've made previously to view or edit its stats? Or, perhaps, to view the stats in an item in the Lootfrisk database instead of just the description?

6. galentknight

galentknight Member

after DL the new mod update i went through the progress of where it said select DoD exe. that was fine but after trying to actually play a new game or a game save:
    a error occurred, we are sorry for the inconvenience please restart program. which i did, still crashed. so i re-installed DoD, tried again but this time your mod didnt ask me to select the exe but ...... i couldnt play my saves. yes i do realize its buggy but
    1st crashing DoD exe
    2nd corrupting the DoD saves (unplayable saves, i was on lvl 10 too)
    not cool, not cool at all.

when i tired again after reinstalling DoD it seem fine but my saves where unplayable.
    whats need to fix/added, at least what i think should be::

no matter how many times i went through floor 1
    (cleared everything, open everything, not including uber chest cause they wouldnt open) i never found the item created. this leads me to believe it will never be found on later floors below.

1) item created should be allowed either
    A) put into character inventory (ie: bag)
    [i said this last time, you said no go find it, i did, it never was to be found]
    B) chosen state of lvl (ie: choose the floor, theres 10 floors of DoD)
    B) chosen state where its put (ie: ground , chest, brax shop, crate, vase)

2) items created currently with mod has no effects to add
    what i mean by this?
    items found in DoD have stats effects,
    effects like::
    counter, piercing, bleeding, AOE (area of effect), mass destruction, etc
    these should be including in mod

3) even though you took my suggestion to type in the value but currently the value
    that you can type in cant go pass:: 999 then you have to mouse wheel the rest
    (not sure how high it goes) again its painfully long to sit there & mouse wheel the value.

i know i'm asking for alot. i'm not a coder. i could wait for the official un-official mod tools that pose to come out (whenever that is) [probably never] but like most people, i hate waiting. just things to look forward too i guess.

7. rmuk

rmuk Member

@ArtenXevious Lol that's cruel :( ... Nice sprite though :p

@galentknight:
    Woah, sorry about the troubles these tools have caused Galent. I'll try to address the problems / causes:

----------------------

"after DL the new mod update i went through the progress of where it said select DoD exe. that was fine but after trying to actually play a new game or a game save: a error occurred, we are sorry for the inconvenience please restart program."

@galentknight
    With the latest Lootfrisk (v2.2) the "Select Your DoD.exe" message is displayed the first time that you start the Item Inserter utility and is only there to get the path to your Dungeons of Dredmor installation. Once you've selected your DoD.exe and hit Ok, your DoD installation path is written to only the "settings.ini" file in the "Data" folder of the item editors. Nothing else gets touched here so I've no idea why Dredmor would start crashing because of this(!)

----------------------

"so i re-installed DoD, tried again but this time your mod didnt ask me to select the exe but ...... i couldnt play my saves. yes i do realize its buggy but
    1st crashing DoD exe
    2nd corrupting the DoD saves (unplayable saves, i was on lvl 10 too)
    not cool, not cool at all."

@galentknight
    The reason you aren't asked to select your DoD.exe path again is because its already been written successfully to the settings.ini file, so there's no need for the program to keep asking you to locate the DoD.exe.

Now, the problem with the game saves I'm pretty sure I can explain:

When you re-installed Dungeons of Dredmor, the "itemDB.xml" and "items" folder which contained all of your custom item info & sprites was wiped out and replaced with the original, default Dungeons of Dredmor item data. So now, when you try to load one of your previous saves, DoD is presumably trying to find the custom items referenced in the save file (which no longer exist due to the reinstall) so the program is crashing - at least that's what I'd think was causing the problem.

----------------------

"no matter how many times i went through floor 1
    (cleared everything, open everything, not including uber chest cause they wouldnt open) i never found the item created. this leads me to believe it will never be found on later floors below."

@galentknight
    Yep you're right, Galent. Again, apologies for this problem :( - However this issue was fixed with v2.2 of Lootfrisk. 2.2 is the most stable & up to date version and is the only version that anyone should be using. If you've made items with any version before 2.2, you'll need to use the "reset itemDB.xml" menu option in the Item Insert utility to clear all the "bad item" data and then start again. I know, it sucks but unfortunately, there was no other way to implement this fix :(

----------------------

"1) item created should be allowed either
    A) put into character inventory (ie: bag)
    [i said this last time, you said no go find it, i did, it never was to be found]
    B) chosen state of lvl (ie: choose the floor, theres 10 floors of DoD)
    B) chosen state where its put (ie: ground , chest, brax shop, crate, vase)"

@galentknight
    With the "items not showing up" issue fixed, hopefully you'll no longer have problems with this, Galent. I should mention that to the best of my knowledge - setting your custom items level is actually setting which *floor* it shows up on and is not related to your characters level. So basically, a level 5 helmet should have a chance to show up on floor 5... That said, I could be completely wrong - a lot of the development process for these tools has been founded on guesswork and assumptions. It wouldn't have been possible to test all of this in game and make the tools without sacrificing a ton of time. The idea with releasing this software was a sort of beta / proof of concept type thing where players could try out the tools and report problems etc. (just like you've done here, which I do appreciate!)

That said, I do like the idea of being able to assign loot to specific rooms. Not sure if it's possible, though I did notice certain items assigned to specific room tiles in roomsDB.xml, but I've no idea if its possible to prevent the item from dropping outside of that location.

----------------------

"2) items created currently with mod has no effects to add
    what i mean by this?
    items found in DoD have stats effects,
    effects like::
    counter, piercing, bleeding, AOE (area of effect), mass destruction, etc
    these should be including in mod"

@galentknight
    If you're brave enough to try the tools again, you might be interested to hear that a new Weapon & Armour editor is in development Galent :D Totally understandable if you don't want to try it based on past problems, but the next update (3.0) should be far more stable... As well as being able to create weapons, you'll also be able to assign damage buffs and resistances to them. 3.0 should be ready by Friday at the latest!

----------------------

3) even though you took my suggestion to type in the value but currently the value
    that you can type in cant go pass:: 999 then you have to mouse wheel the rest
    (not sure how high it goes) again its painfully long to sit there & mouse wheel the value.

@galentknight
    The limit of 99 was deliberate and was supposed to prevent people from creating insanely overpowered items, mainly because I didn't want people to wreck their gaming experience or add loads of OP items to the Lootfrisk database... But I'll look into adjusting this.

----------------------

Alright, I hope that helped somewhat! Again, sorry for the crashes and loss of save files D: Hopefully some of the above info explained why the those problems occurred. Overall, I suppose these tools are better suited to "Going Rogue" characters, at least this eliminates save corruption problems. I do appreciate the feedback and input Galent, thanks man!

P.s. Don't worry, it's rumoured that the mod tools / mod support from Gaslamp is coming with patch 1.0.4 :D

8. galentknight

galentknight Member

it was the 2.2 verison that gave me all that trouble.

9. Nice job on 3.0, makes the items i made on 2.2 redundant with damage & resist bonus but that's a GOOD thing! :D

About lootfrisk, would it be possible for it to be updated so item stats can be seen before downloading them? I downloaded one of the helms called "Mars' Horns", a level 1 item that was letting me hit floor 1 riff-raff for 100+ lol.

Cheers dude!

10. baw, my item is too biggu to upload. :c

11. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Oooh Itemsmith, cannot wait to do more creation.

12. Yeah, sorry about the broken items. I got excited when itemsmith came along and made a bunch of new weapons of various tiers (tried to make a 3, 5/7, and 10 star version of each weapon type) as well as some new shields and armor without making them too powerful to be fair.

In my excitement I noobishly forgot to test them first. D'oh! Every item I created (and uploaded, go me) makes the game crash. Good luck on the update because I have tons of ideas for items and thanks for making such a simple and awesome editor.

Is there any way to see what an item does before putting it into the game? I didn't see any kind of item viewer. No offense to whoever made the Gemmed Power Armor items, but we really need to label things if they're brokenly overpowered. I don't mind things being a little unbalanced but 20 to both regens and 5 to every single stat on the sheet is overkill to an extreme. If that's what you want, that's fine, but we need to have a way to either preview the stats of items or make sure to make mention of their star rank and general powers in the descriptions.

13. One more thing, is there a way to either replace an item that's already been uploaded or just remove it? A few of my early attempts were with 2.2 and I forgot to give the items a gold value and change their star rating. As a result, some rather OP'd items have no value and a 1-star rank, meaning they are too powerful. I found quite a few of them on the first floor, and that wasn't supposed to happen.

14. rmuk

rmuk Member

@UpsideDownFace,

Hey man - No worries at all about not testing your items before putting them into Lootfrisk - Totally understandble and that's the way it should be done - Just think of an item, make it, upload it and carry on without worrying about whether or not the item works! If I'd coded this stuff properly in the first place it wouldn't have been an issue! xD

Are those your items with the (*) rating mentioned in the tags? Very cool, and nicely balanced to boot! I'd actually just got home, downloaded most of the new items & weapons, including yours, from Lootfrisk, Inserted them into the game to see what people had been making and *boom* DoD imploded, I cried :( lol... Really need to get some people to test this stuff before releasing it. Self testing at 4am is *not* effective.

Unfortunately, the update might take the rest of the night. I've decided to pull everything apart and separate the tools yet again. A weapon editor in one program and an armour editor in another, there's just too much value juggling and other little nuances with text strings etc. to try and keep track of when having the two editors together in the same program.

So, you'll probably see the weapon editor released first, then tomorrow the armour editor.

I'm really glad you're finding a use for this stuff and sharing your items too. It's great to see people actually using these tools!

Now, regarding viewing the item stats before downloading... Yep, I think I'm going to have to try and implement that. I said a few posts back that I didn't want people to see the item stats in Lootfrisk so that there was an element of surprise involved in finding someone elses item in game... Which is Ok in theory, but in practice, its not worked so well. When the armour & weapon creators are done, I'll look into updating Lootfrisk with a way to preview the item stats before downloading. Somewhere down the line I'd like to add download counters so that item creators can check how popular their item is, or even an item rating system. I, too, have experienced the OP'ness of the gemmed power armour stuff, lol.

Removing items individually would be cool too. Instead of just restoring itemDB.xml and wiping out all custom item info, I'd like to include a way to remove custom items individually. Another thing to look into implementing when the armour & weapon creators are finished and stable.

Righto, thanks again for sharing your items and for posting some feedback, UpsideDownFace! Sorry for any crash-age endured. Here's hoping the next update (finally) fixes everything.

15. kalleoskar

kalleoskar Member

where did the download link go ?:/ missed the download spot

16. @rmuk

Yeah, a lot of those items are mine and I started adding the star ratings to the beginning of the description to make it easier for others to decide what tier of item they were looking for. I used the dredmor wiki during creation to compare items of the same types and ranks to ensure that I didn't get too carried away.

My earlier creations were somewhat unbalanced, and those are also the ones where I flubbed the gold/star ratings. For example, the Empty Head helm was supposed to be a high-tier helmet designed to give melee users big buffs in the end levels at the expense of magic use stats. Since it has no value and a default rating of 1-star, I found 2 of them on the first floor in 5 minutes of testing, and one even in the very first room. Wayyy too powerful for a floor 1 freebie. Now I wish I could recall some of them for tweaking and balance.

No worries about the update, I'd rather you take your time and get things done the way you want than to rush it out and have bigger problems. I can wait. I plan on doing items for practically every type and tier available, but also want to be sure they aren't overpowered.

As for the crashes, no worries there either. I've been a big fan of modding as long as I can remember and they frequently don't play nice, but when it's all said and done and everything works it's all worthwhile.

17. One more thing, would anyone care to point out someplace I can find more sprites for items? The included pack is great, but it's missing any for shields (that's how I ended up with a Waffle and a Carrot as icons) and rather than just place the burden on the creator I would be more than happy to make/get my own. Especially since I'm trying to not use sprites someone else has already used, or are the same as normal items already found in the game.

Thanks.

18. ArtenXevious

ArtenXevious Member

@UpsideDownFace: I make my sprites in MSPaint. It's a little tricky to do the shading, but it's easy enough if you have the idea in mind.
    However, if you're up for searching for them, I think a Google image search works fine. You can probably resize them in most image-editing programs (recommend not using MSPaint for this; it pixelates things so heavily that you can't see what it was supposed to be). Alternatively, ask us for sprites! I have too much free time and enjoy doodling in Paint.

19. galentknight

galentknight Member

3.0 update still crashed the exe (this time i backed up my saves). made a item, instered in DoD got: DoD exe crashed, tried making a super low level item (no stars, no mods, no nothing), exe crashed still. i gave up. seems the DoD mod is crashing the DoD exe no matter what. soon as i delete the mod, the game started working fine. it's the mod.

20. As I'm sure you've noticed by now, it wasn't just you crashing. 3.0 made everyone crash.
    rmuk is working on a fix and judging from the improvement si saw in 3.0, it'll be awesome when it's ready, we just need to be patient.

IS IT DONE YET!? ;)