Is it possible to add new monster comments via a mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OmniaNigrum, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Catbread

Catbread Member

Oh, it's on now.
    Don't forget, they also have to be good!
    Otherwise it'll just be Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 all over again.

2. Rawk Hawk

Rawk Hawk Member

My thoughts exactly

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Just for those still reading here, please go grab this mod. It has most if not everything you can find here. :) Thank you all for the contributions.

Death By A Thousand Taunts

4. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Thought of two more:

"at last my plans come to fruition"

"thou art toast"

5. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

Hmmm... To get the file OmniNegro mentioned or just stick with the one that Catbread made which will include some of the taunts I came up with. Leaning towards Catbread, but I suppose I could actually get both? XD

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I thought that Catbread already merged them. I guess I could check.. Just a sec.

*Edit*
    They are not there so far. Hopefully they will be added. It is easy enough to add them yourself though. I will make a merger tomorrow if no-one else does it.

7. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

He did. That's what I get for responding before clicking. :p Now my blunder is on the interweb for all posterity. Eternity too. XD

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Delete the post if it bothers you. :)

I checked for the words "you like it so much" and did not find it. So I do not know that it was added.

9. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

Not at all worried. Silly is my middle name, if I ever decide to go to the naming services and have it changed, anyways. :p

The point was that whether it's added or not, I didn't realize you had posted a link to the thread of the mod that was made by the very person that mentioned adding the taunts. I typed before I looked which happens to me a lot. >.>

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. Catbread

Catbread Member

Oh, I hadn't updated it yet. Here's the most recent version of the text file. There'll be an official update coming leter today once I'm done adding taunts for now.

I actually didn't add "If you like it so much etc." because it wasn't really a taunt or a thing a monster might say upon seeing a hero. Sorry!

I'll add those two, also, banjo2E. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• text.xml
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Catbread

Catbread Member

Oh, wait a minute...

Could you explain what these ones mean, banjo2E?

"~tgm"

"himmel noch e' mal"

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

~tgm = "~" is the tilde symbol used to pull up the console in many PC games. tgm = Toggle God Mode in many PC games too. :)

Catbread likes this.
  13. Catbread

Catbread Member

Cool, thanks. Yeah, that's a good one.

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

"Himmel noch ein mal" is a German phrase that translates roughly to "heaven yet again". Basically, a light curse. Ein is usually pronounced e' in this phrase, at least when I've heard it.

Catbread, OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  15. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Been looking through the file you linked, and I noticed a few things you may or may not want to change.

First off, two things from my own contribution: "Can we maybe do this later? I have a cold" was intentionally capitalized, because colds make your voice sound funny. Also, I'm pretty sure "the blobby in the next room will avenge me" originally referenced slime monsters, because blobbies only show up on the first 3 floors or so, and it's gelatinous cube reskins for the rest of the dungeon.

In the main section: "issac?" should probably be "isaac?"; "kawaii" might be better as "kawaii desu"; "GG" might similarly be better as "GG no re kthxbye"; "you can't handle the truth" appears twice.

Finally, some new contributions:

"aim for the horn"
    "you are within the range of my divination"
    "what is this ominous light that threatens to engulf us?"
    "the vodka is good but the meat is rotten"
    "that trick with the shinespark was very...ingenious"
    "i came to dig, dig, dig, dig"
    "fifty percent output should be sufficient"
    "disappear into nothingness"
    "come, darkness"
    "destroy us all! destroy us all! destroy us all!"
    "i shall test thy worthiness to wieldst my power"
    "you're really rustling my jimmies"
    "you pathetic inferior being"
    "blue rogues, attack!"
    "my vision is augmented"
    "harpoon cannon, fire!"
    "moons, give me strength"
    "i'm not sure why, but i keep getting hurt today"
    "where there is light, there is darkness"
    "kneel before me"
    "money makes the world go 'round"
    "i'm done for!"
    "your father was a looper"
    "...and cupil will be wearing an eye patch"

Catbread and OmniNegro like this.
  16. Catbread

Catbread Member

Whoa, you looked through the whole thing? That's awfully brave of you.
    In response to your suggestions:

-I don't think capitalization would convey the funnyness of voice... how about altering the words to sound "stuffy"?
    Something like "i hab a cold"?
    Might be easier to just leave it as is, because I don't know how to make it sound better!

-It's tough to do contextual taunts. How about "the mob in the next room will avenge me"? Covers all the bases at once.

-Good eye, catching the Isaac misspelling and truth-handling duplicates!
    And I agree, those are good changes to GG and kawaii. I'll fix 'em up.

-those taunts are all pretty good. Oh god I had forgotten about inferior beings, good call
    One question, what does the last one mean?

Thanks a lot for checking those taunts!
    For one thing, if you hadn't, isaac would have forever gone misspelled. That's pretty embarrassing!

A strange side effect of this taunt-writing has been that I get sudden impulses to write everything in lowercase. Be wary when you write monsters, lest you become one.

OmniNegro and banjo2E like this.
  17. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Sounds like a good idea regarding the cold thing.

Go with "my buddy in the next room will avenge me"; I just went with "slime monster" because those things are responsible for 90% of my non-Diggle deaths.

Cupil is from Skies of Arcadia, a truly excellent RPG that was originally for the Dreamcast and had an improved rerelease come out at the same time and on the same console as Tales of Symphonia, which you've clearly played. "I'm done for!" is actually also from that game (it's a quote one of the more hammy storyline bosses utters whenever he takes a critical hit, and the mechanics of this game mean he will take a lot of critical hits), but I'd totally forgotten about "I'm a goner~" from Symphonia's Mandragoras and Alraunes, so feel free to use that one instead.

Good luck getting a copy of Skies if you want to play it, though, they're rare and expensive as all get out these days.

Catbread and OmniNegro like this.
  18. Catbread

Catbread Member

Hah, gotcha.
    I'll use both!
    I can keep an eye out, at least.

The Cupil quote gets a little too specific, though, and isn't something you'd hear in any old fight. I'm going to have to cut that one. Sorry :(

banjo2E and OmniNegro like this.
  19. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...Maybe replace "Cupil" with something like "the diggle" or "the blobby"? Honestly, that quote's meant as more of a non sequitur than anything else, and we've already got oatmeal. All you really need to know about Cupil is that he's a floating metal orb that eats rocks and can morph into weapons sometimes.

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Catbread

Catbread Member

Fair enough. It stays.
    I don't think it'd sound quite right altered, so I'll leave it in, in its original form.

I just need to be very careful not to go overboard, and to keep things accessible for everyone!

mutated, OmniNegro and banjo2E like this.