Is it possible to add new monster comments via a mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OmniaNigrum, Jun 11, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I would love to see a whole shitload of new comments added so you have Diggles saying "Me love you long time." and other horrible things. So is this possible to do?

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It certainly is! text.xml, scroll down to the <insult text> area.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ah! Then I suggest everyone start adding what you want here. One entry per line please. An nothing too terribly long. I am unsure what the maximal length is, but if you have it too long you cannot possibly read it all.

A few horrible examples:

I did not have sex with that Diggle Intern.

Under the advice of my Attorney, I Kill you!

Has anyone seen my wallet?

Brax sold you to me. Now lay down so I can have my lunch of Eyebrows.

Daynab looks really young.

I declare lutefisk war!

Eyebrows mean doom to everyone.

Beware the 'Brows.

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

ID and RR both include a ton of them already (plus more of everything in text.xml). I'm surprised you didn't notice monsters saying new strange things after you installed those mods.

ID2.0 has more than twice as many as 1.2.6.x, divided into sub-mods so people can tailor the flavor of their game as desired and keep it fresh. I just sent a whole bunch of specifically pirate-themed ones to Ruigi for the Swashbuckling mod.

Not that I'm trying to discourage you. Variety is the spice of life. That bit about the intern is a classic. Go for it.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I installed ID and RR almost as soon as I installed DoD. So I cannot really distinguish between them as much as more experienced people. More is better in any case. So if anyone has monster comments to add, let this be a good thread to place them in. Once we have enough, I or anyone else can make a mod, or we can submit it to the expansion of ID, RR, and FAXPAX. :)

6. Catbread

Catbread Member

Oh! A place for monster insults?

Well... I wanted to add a couple of my own, so I threw together a little text.XML doc which I called "The Terrible Taunts".
    I was going to release them as a mod on the workshop, assuming the code worked all right, but if they would be useful here, by all means, here they are.

(I wasn't necessarily done with them, these were just the first few I thought of.)

Attached Files:

• text.xml
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
    OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

A few DoD in jokes to add to the mix:

I am the badass now!

I would do drugs.

The other day I wanked into a portal...

8. Catbread

Catbread Member

Ooh, this gives me an idea...
    I've added "winners don't use drugs" to my taunt arsenal. Now I'm only a few quotes away from hitting 700!

By the way, with quote additions, it might be worth trying to keep them in the traditional Dredmor style, that is, mostly lowercase and with minimal punctuation. That's my preference, at least.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Good ideas and massive contributions all around. Rather than make a specific mod for this, I suggest we pack it all up like Catbread has done and submit it to the big modders to be included in their mods.

One of our friends from ID, RR, or FAXPAX will surely welcome the addition. (Please tell us if you do, so we do not have it in more than one of the big mod packs.)

Thank you everyone!

10. mutated

mutated Member

I tried out a mod or two that were just insults and I found them forced and unfunny - lowercase letters, barely any punctuation, and simple insults are more appealing than too-specific references or non-insults.

the occasional "SPAAAAACE" and "so I was wanking into a portal the other day" are funny but silly ones should be kept to a minimum.

11. Daynab

That sounds like base game insults, actually. Well the first one and what you were referring to. Not the wanking one. Lowercaps like "i hate you so much" are intended, I don't really remember what the joke is though.

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It is all a matter of taste. I find nine out of ten puns to be just something to read as a petty distraction from the tedium of playing the same game for many hundreds of hours. But we can also just remove the unfunny ones ourselves. I tend to think it is better to leave them in and just ignore them. The few good ones make it worthwhile to read all the rest.

*Edit* Daynab Ninja'ed a post while I was typing this... :)

13. Catbread

Catbread Member

What a coincidence... I only just released a mod to the Workshop that attempts to address this very issue. Yep, just taunts. Those are a bit easier to code in than actual code.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77380483&searchtext=

I hope it's received well... but more than that, I hope I wrote well. I'm just trying to spread the love, y'know?
    (Oh man I should have made that a taunt)

mutated and OmniNegro like this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I am reminded of a question I kept forgetting to ask. Do duplicates count? If we add a single comment a hundred times, will it have a hundred times the average odds of being selected and displayed?

15. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Probably. I seriously doubt the game checks for duplicates.

OmniNegro likes this.
  16. mutated

mutated Member

Went looking through the text files and these are better than the ones in, say, this fella's, which is full of capital letters and end punctuation and too-specific references and meh.

17. Catbread

Catbread Member

Well, thanks. Minor victory for me!

By the way, how do you look through other people's text files? Or, where are the text files located? They don't seem to be in any of the most obvious places.
    I might want to edit some of the mods I've subscribed to, but they'd probably get reset due to subscriptions. I'll think about this...

18. Daynab

Either download them from the forum (most of them have a version here) or extract the .dat files.

19. mutated

mutated Member

I extracted the data files - they're in your My Documents folder, confusingly, but they're all there. Steam gives them totally random number names but you can extract them from the .dats and get the original folders.

20. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

I'll pluck out your eyebrows!
    Victory. Is the word.
    The ending is always the same, but with different colors!
    Gimme a D!
    Gimme an R!
    Gimme an E!
    Gimme an M!
    Gimme an O!
    Prometheans are OP.
    I don't want to die because you installed an OP mod!
    This is madness. . .
    Not the face! Not the face!
    How 'bout them glitches, huh?
    I once thought: Maybe I AM a Thrusty. Scary.
    Heckravens, take flight!
    Here goes. . . FLYING TENSEIKEN!
    I discovered the world is a toroid! Possibly banana shaped!
    An eyepatch that does something?
    At least there isn't a OP Wand of Ken Obie. . .
    . . . Or a Darth Dartgun.
    USD is not an acceptable currency in this dungeon!
    People die if they are killed.
    MINE IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!
    I've been toying with you up 'til now.
    Everything is ruined forever! You monster!
    I only barely escaped the Burning of Jita. You are nothing!
    Who's got the clap!?
    C-C-Critical Hit!

Reference list:
    Tidus/Dissidia
    Mass Effect 3
    Anchorman
    Grandia 2
    Skies of Arcadia/Monty Python
    Psychonauts/Skies of Arcadia
    Star Wars twofer
    Diablo 3
    Terrible translation of Fate/Stay Night