Interior Dredmorating version 1.2.6.4

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

If David had asked to use Hamm's, I would have tried to talk him out of it. I've considered special="1"-ing it myself, because I only made it for a skill mod that I haven't gotten around to (Ale-Conner) and it's a little more obnoxious than I'd like outside of that context.

One problem you will run into if you duplicate it, however, is that the versions from the two mods won't stack. It'll be possible to have two Hamm's in your inventory that cannot make a single pile. They'll also sometimes randomly change which version the stack is when you load up a saved game. Both are pretty minor bugs, given that no one will willingly stockpile Hamm's.

I was, however, considering making recipes for Hamm's to make it less annoying. Recipe 1: Turn 1 pilsner into roughly 2+(2x:alchemy:) Hamm's. Recipe 2: Turn 50 or 100 Hamm's into 1 Aqua Vitae. While I'm less wedded to recipe 1, it's recipe 2 that would complicate things if you copy it over. I'll have to think about it, but don't let this slow you down. ID 2.0 breaks things up into smaller sub-mods so if it causes too many headaches, people can choose to deactivate just that one part of ID.

Maybe what I should do is set Hamm's to special="1" and make a new item that's a six-pack. When you drink the six pack, it gives you 1 mp and spawns 5 new Hamm's (which are not six-packs). That would make it a lot less obnoxious, and actually kinda useful.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Please tell me you're putting a recipe in 1.2.7/2.0 that lets 4 Hamm's be turned into an Aqua Vitae (or Fortis or Regia, even).

3. r_b_bergstrom

Well, I wasn't going to be quite that nice, but then I forgot that you can't make a recipe take more than 4 things. So, yeah, probably 4 Hamm's to 1 of something more useful. Even X Hamm's to 1 sewer brew would be a step up.

On a tangent: I've been looking a lot a Aqua Fortis and Aqua Regia. When i play Alchemy, I just don't tend to use those much. It's cool that they referenced real world alchemy in the game, but there's not much motivation to make them. Same with solutions of gold, which never seem to generate more zorkmids than you would have got if you'd just sold the components, and aren't really used to create anything all that amazing. Is there some awesome strategy or hidden recipe I'm overlooking? Or do Fortis, Regia, and Solution of Gold all need some lovin'?

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Nope, they just suck. I try to use fortis and regia in my non-booze potions.

5. Oh good, I'm not the only one who doesn't see why the game gives us so much fortis/regia along with the means to churn out more! "I'll just stick this one in the fridge next to the other crappy Mother's Day presents! Thanks, honey!"

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  6. I just want to say that ID 2.0 is actually starting to be a bit more exciting to me than YHTNTEP, just because you've done so much on the forums to not only explain, but also justify your personal design philosophy. A bunch of random new stuff vs witnessing the practical conclusion of all that theory, in other words.

7. r_b_bergstrom

Dude, don't build it up too much. I don't respond well to that kind of pressure. If you heap praise on me before you've seen the final product, I'll work too hard to make sure it lives up to your expectations. We'd like 2.0 to come out sometime in 2012, right?

Just the same, thank you kindly.

Essence likes this.
  8. zaratustra

zaratustra Member

Interior Dredmorating will clean your house and care for your dog.

9. r_b_bergstrom

Well, since I've been taking requests, I suppose I could cram that in somewh...

No, strike that. If I made such a promise, my wife would probably create an account here just to tell you all how terribly unlikely it was. Let's be realistic. I hate cleaning. Even if I could code ID to do that, I'd always find some excuse to put it off a little longer.

Kazeto, Essence, DavidB1111 and 2 others like this.
  10. r_b_bergstrom

Rumor control: Just to make sure everyone knows this, the first post in this thread has links to versions for 1.0.10 with or without the YHTNTEP DLC.

Someone was rather misinformed about that, and I wanted to make sure that no one else made the same mistake.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Glazed

Glazed Member

I got stuck in the Transporter Room. I used the lever, went to the back room, used the teleporter in there to get back out, landed on a mysterious portal, used Leylines to teleport away from all those mysterious portals, pulled the lever again, then the teleporter in the back room no longer worked.

The second script needs repeat="-1".

12. r_b_bergstrom

You're probably not actually stuck, Glazed. There are several items that spawn in that room. Some of them, used in conjunction, may be able to get you out of the room. Even if you don't have the correct tool to use them together, the fact that they are spawning there may give you some ideas about alternate escape routes from the room. It's not a dead-end, at least not for the vast majority of characters.

13. Glazed

Glazed Member

I realize that the walls are breakable, but I didn't notice what spawns in there. I see now. I was only debugging, not actually playing, so I wasn't paying that much attention.

Is it wise to strand even a small number of players back there?

Totally unrelated, do you have the power to exclude the __MACOSX folder when zipping up your mod, or the .DS_Store files inside some of the other folders?

14. r_b_bergstrom

Then you probably missed at least one of the Classic Trek references. Ever see the episode where Kirk has to duel with the Gorn captain, and makes a weapon from the chemicals scattered about the planet's surface?

I won't say it's wise, but it's certainly in keeping with the tone of the game. The main game includes things like Transdimensional Dodge, Cursed Teleporter Traps, Timelord's Scarf, Gnomish Cap, etc, and all sorts of hidden rooms and islands for you to get dumped at. Clearly the devs believe that getting stranded somewhere is just another way to die.

I realize it's kind of a frustrating way to die, and weird in that it's one of the very few corner-case ways to lose a non-PermaDeath character. In fact, the very first character I ever had get to the Moonbase Floor (long before ever using a mod) ended up stranded on that big island on one of the large rooms on that floor when I drank a instability infusion to escape a horde of unfriendly AIs. When that happened, I was mad for a moment, and then realized it was really no different from any of the other half-dozen ways I'd died that afternoon. Them's the breaks, and this is Sparta a rogue-like.

As long as that paradigm (that teleports can sometimes unexpectedly kill you) exists within the game, I'm perfectly okay with having a "trap" room. Play mistakes in a rogue-like should sometimes kill the character.

This particular trap room includes breakable walls, the reagents to break them, and even a one-time-use escape teleport should you not have the crafting tools that will make a bomb from those reagents. There's not a lot of reason to go back into that room a second time, since the only treasure there is the reagents for making the bomb, so this shouldn't happen too often. The mod's been out there for a long time, gets a lot of play, and yet you're the first to mention it, so I don't think this is ruining a lot of runs.

This particular trap (or play mistake) isn't likely to kill anyone twice. At most, it'll happen once, and then you'll never do that again. The room was very specifically not included in YHTNTEP so that new players wouldn't get stuck there before they'd had opportunity to learn about breakable walls. It only occurs on floor 3, so it's not like you're being robbed of a character you invested 15 hours in and felt was almost ready to take on Lord Dredmor.

Even when it does catch a character, a pretty large percentage of the skill trees in the game offer a way to escape, and by floor 3 you've certainly had time to get a skill or two leveled up. It seems fair to me. If you disagree, we can discuss this further, but you'd need an exceptionally good argument to change my mind on this one.

Macs naturally create all sorts of hidden files in their structure, which then become less hidden when you look at them on a different platform. From my point of view, there is no _MACOSX folder inside the mod, and no .DS_Store files either. Given a compelling reason to hunt for them, I'm sure I could eventually figure out how to find and eliminate them. I suspect, though, that if I delete them they will probably automatically regenerate the next time I edit the upload in any major way. So that reason would have to be pretty darned compelling to justify the repeated effort. Are they causing problems? You're the first to complain about them.

Since you're poking around in my files anyway, any chance I can persuade you to point that debugger of yours at ID and send me the results? I'd have used it myself already if it were Mac-friendly.

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. Glazed

Glazed Member

I can understand your opinion. I don't even necessarily disagree with it. I'd like to think they are going to change random teleports to not let you teleport to an area that can't reach a staircase, but who knows. BTW, they removed the teleport from Timelord Scarf.

As for the hidden Mac files. I don't suggest you delete them. Instead, find a zip tool that can ignore them. Or find the option in whatever tool you currently use to tell it to ignore them. It's really not a big deal. It's just something I thought I'd tell you about.

Here are all the errors I found in your mod:

Code:
    Expansion 1 is used by your mod, but you didn't include <require expansion="1"/> in mod.xml
    This is new syntax for 1.0.11 that was invented, oh... last night. :) The game will prevent you from loading mods for which you lack the required expansions. So, adding this helps players avoid disappointing crashes.

OmniNegro likes this.
  16. r_b_bergstrom

Thank you. That's great news about the lack of bugs. It's pretty much what I've known all along, but it lets me sleep a little easier at night. When someone says they got a crash on floor X I can know it wasn't mine (assuming they've got RotDG). Now if only I can get ID2.0 working so well.... If you'd be open to the idea, I may send you an almost-finished version of ID2.0 one of these days and ask you to run the debugger over it.

As to the new <require expansion="1"/> tag: Can I just add it to the end of mod.xml or does it have to go somewhere specific in the file?

17. r_b_bergstrom

That's a shame about Time Lord Scarf. I thought it was nice to have a potentially really good item with a significant downside that you needed to be careful about... especially since neck slot has so few good options. It was sometimes a tricky choice, and I liked that. The teleport chance was pretty low, so only melee characters were running a major risk. It also made the reference cuter, since so many incarnations of The Doctor have had poor control of where the Tardis takes them.

I'd be surprised if the teleport targeting were "fixed" - it's been a known "problem" since 1.0.8 at least, and I've never seen a statement from the devs even acknowledging it to be a bug. If they do change how blink works, point it out to me, and I'll edit that room script. If my mod is literally the only way to get trapped somewhere, that would be a bad thing.

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sorry, what is wrong with teleport targeting? This is the first I have heard of it.

As far as I know, the teleport spells and skills are hardcoded in the game. (That is the sad reason we still have no *Band-lik teleport that takes you to a far distance from your current position to the other side of the floor you are on. If it were not hard coded I would make a 10d10 roll distance teleport mod.)

19. r_b_bergstrom

Random teleports such as from Instability Infusion, Blink Curse Traps, Transdimensional Dodge and the first levels of Mathemagic and Emomancy, can put the target on any random space within a certain distance. The "problem" is that this includes:
    1. hidden rooms behind breakable walls
    2. hidden treasure rooms accessed by levers only
    3. islands
    4. trapped in the corners of rooms pinned behind blockers such as vending, grills, statues, etc.
    None of this is a problem if you're using Mathemagic, as you can spam-blink till you're somewhere safe. But if your teleport requires a limited resource or is triggered by dodging, it can leave you trapped somewhere without said resources or monsters. #1 isn't a problem if you've got area attacks, you just break the walls. #4 isn't a problem if you've got knockback, you just kick the blocker out of the way. #'s 2 and 3 however pretty much leave you stuck there.

Unless you have mathemagic, every random teleport has tiny chance of "killing" you.

This was pointed out to the devs at least as far back as when Transdimensional Dodge was added to the Artful Dodger tree. TD had been an automatic dodge-proc, whereas now you can disable it. As has been pointed out in other threads, making blinks avoid sealed off areas would be relatively easy - it uses the same sort of algorithm that photoshop does to fill in an area with the paintbucket. That Gaslamp chose to make TD have an "off button" instead of making teleports not put you in sealed spaces in the first place suggests to me that the devs are aware random teleports are dangerous, but aren't too worried about it and in no hurry to "fix" things. It's just another way to "die". If they're cool with that, I'm cool with that.

Sounds you haven't played with the Chronomancer mod. It has a random teleport that sends you all over the level (does so by teleporting you half a dozen times in sequence), and a targeted teleport that recalls you to a specific place on the same floor that you've visited before.

20. Glazed

Glazed Member

Eh, it can still be you. It doesn't check for everything. Only missing files, and missing spells/items/monsters/etc. Your room could have no walls and it wouldn't know.

It goes anywhere inside the root element.

Code:
    <dredmormod>
        <revision text="1.2.6"/>
        <author text="Rolfe Bergstrom"/>
        <name text="Interior Dredmorating"/>
        <description text="New rooms, items, architecture and flavor-text to spice up your dungeon experience. "/>
        <info totalconversion="0"/>
        <require expansion="1"/>
    </dredmormod>