Interior Dredmorating version 1.2.6.4

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I have no doubts your mods will be to the standard you've given us all. Can't wait to see them.

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Give me a month and I'll crew for you, r_b. After Drunken Boxing is packed up and ready, I'll have nothing planned. :)

Kazeto, mining and r_b_bergstrom like this.
  3. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Essence, I'd be thrilled to have your help with coding and development. You have a very comprehensive knowledge of the xml and syntax, and are quite clever at figuring out what can be done with spells and the like, and generally have great ideas. I will say, though, that we disagree a little about game balance and power level. People are specifically asking for skills that feel like they're a skill I would create. So while I'd love your help and collaboration, I would feel the need to retain editorial control for myself. You cool with that?

Kazeto and mining like this.
  4. So a collab between essence AND r_b? Now THIS is worth waiting for.​

5. Daynab

heh heh

6. mining

mining Member

Oh wow, that combination? <3. The end.

7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Oh, of course. That's what I mean when I say 'crew for you' -- I'll help code up your ideas and let you do the tweaking. :)

8. r_b_bergstrom

Sweet. I was just making sure we were all on the same page.

Plus, yesterday, my head was in an illness-induced fog, so I wasn't real confident on my ability to comprehend anything nor to express myself. I basically passed out around 3 or 4 pm, and slept till 7 this morning. I sure this wasn't the only thread where, in my delirium, I posted things people already knew.

9. r_b_bergstrom

Mentioned this elsewhere, figure I might as well tease it here as well:

A future Interior Dredmorating spin-off mini-mod will be custom-designed for the express purpose of fixing NTTG item issues. More rooms that specifically offer graters and lutefisk cubes. Rooms with extra reagent spawns. Additional CoEs. More inconsequentia and krong shrines. More vending machines. Possibly a ham-fisted attempt at a bag of holding. Don't think I can force an uberchest spawn, but it should catch most of the other things you don't see enough of in NTTG. Soon, very soon it will be Yes Time To Grind.

And yep, I realize there's nothing to stop people from using it without NTTG on, just to increase loot spawns and make the game easier. Nothing to stop that except perhaps the Diggle God of Hidden Shame.

SELF-PROMOTION WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that abuse of self-promotion may be hazardous to other people's patience.

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. r_b_bergstrom

Request for bug-reports:

It was recently mentioned to me that, in theory, my use of off-floor monster could be a memory problem for some computers. My computer seems to have no troubles with it, despite being rather slow to load the game in the first place, and takes forever to generate floors even without mods... but that doesn't mean others aren't facing troubles I'd been unaware of.

For those of you that have encountered the special "one of everything" zoo-like rooms on levels 10 and 15 in ID, can you report to me if you've had any slow-downs or crashes while facing them? I figure if anything's going to cause a memory problem, it would be them.

11. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I found this room on DL15 just last night and was very entertained. I didn't notice any slowdowns except that the game autosaved once in the middle of it. That took a second or so longer than normal. I have a three or four year old box, and it was fairly budget when I bought it, so I wouldn't say that's because of my machine's specs, either.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  12. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

An arrow trap can spawn behind brax in B mart, leading to dread collectors appearing unexpectedly. Put a blocker behind brax? Or move the door perhaps so that the arrow trap will appear on the wall outside B-mart instead.

13. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

B-mart is my fault. I'll get this fixed.

14. r_b_bergstrom

Hooray! "You Have To Name The Expansion Pack" has been announced! I can finally talk about it.

Not the most flattering thing they could have said about me, perhaps, but that's what I get for worshiping Cthulhu. :oops:

About the DLC:
    A large portion of Interior Dredmorating has indeed been incorporated into the new DLC / expansion. I feel very honored to be included in this project.

A few of the rooms have been revised in the process, and David Baumgart (Gaslamp's artist and art director) has made spiffy new versions of certain room features, such as cupboards and minecart tracks, so they better fit the main-game art

Plus, there's a hat that bears my unpronounceable name. I'm a real part of the game, now!

About ID 1.2.6:

Version 1.2.6 of ID is, like 1.2.5 before it, a smaller version than the one before it.

1.2.6 features only one new room (but also many of the older rooms you know and love), and that just to compensate for a room that the DLC only uses half of.

Rooms that made the DLC are not in ID 1.2.6, because some rooms would get really annoying if they showed up twice as often.

1.2.6 will include things that we thought should be more optional even than the already optional DLC. Rooms that we thought might cause memory issues for older computers are in ID, not the DLC, for example. All the words, names, statues, items, etc, remain in ID.

There's also a few things we wanted to include in the DLC but poor overworked David just couldn't find the hours in the day to redo all the artwork. Seriously, the guy has a lot on his plate, and already gives 110% whilst working 25 hours a day.* He's a real trooper, and deserves a medal for finding the time for organizing this DLC, but I suppose that's off-topic...

1.2.6 is finished, and will go live once the DLC Beta is up and running.

About ID 2.0:
    I'm already at work on what was going to be 1.2.7 but will most likely be renamed ID 2.0. I've been tinkering with it for some time. There's a lot of new content that I still need to polish and test, so it may be a while.

ID 2.0 is split into a couple of sub-mods, so that you can choose individually which parts to install and activate. Playing other people's mods has convinced me that sometimes I just want to use particular themes, and not everything that goes with them. Others may well feel the same way about my work, and if so I want to make it easier for you to customize which bits you're using.

The trick, of course, is splitting it up in ways that are useful.

I'm planning to have one set with just the new words, names, and statues. That way people who don't like using mods because of concerns about play-balance can still get the expanded names and little jokes that help keep the game fresh without feeling like they're 'cheating'.

Another chunk will have the items, and any rooms that specifically spawn those items. Allowing this to be separate from the other parts of the mod will allow me some more freedom in item creation. If some new item is warping the game in ways you don't appreciate, you can turn it off without having to disable the other rooms. This section will also have new crafting recipes, and be built with an eye towards making crafting a little better. In other words, this part might actually make the game a little easier on you.

As mentioned previously, one module will be a small number of rooms designed to even-out the NTTG experience so that equipment isn't quite as random, and crafting less impeded. As with the item section, this stands a good chance of making the game a bit easier, especially if used without NTTG being on.

Definitely one of the sub-mods will focus on secret passages and obstacles. Rooms you have to get clever to get through. Rooms that might be problematic if you play random builds, or have some personal hatred of teleports or knockback. ID has a number of these, but I've always been worried about pushing the theme as hard as I wanted for fear that it would make the mod incompatible with some play-styles. I haven't decided yet whether or not to include in this section rooms that just increase difficulty overall, or to make that another separate module.

Additional modules may be added based on other themes, some mechanical and others flavorful, as time progresses. This will allow me the freedom to include rooms that run some risk of warping the metagame, or to explore certain themes in greater depth than I was previously willing to do with ID.

About Project Odin:
    *: I'm not supposed to tell you this, but Project Odin is actually a virtual reality created simply to house M-M-Max Baumgart, a virtual clone that was created for the express purpose of making poor David work twice as many hours a day.

15. I was wondering why all the major modders had slowed down their release rates for a while, then someone let someone tag main page entries, and then it was obvious. Ahum. Grats on ID making it into the main game. It certainly deserved it. Back on topic.

On the next patch, I won't actually ask what rooms made it, and what did not, but essentially, we will have to run 1.2.6 if we want the stuff that didn't make the cut, correct?

On project Odin - I thought they cloned David so he could match the old work schedule. Does that mean there's gonna be four of him now?

16. r_b_bergstrom

First page updated to include links to 1.2.5 and 1.2.6. (I was shocked to learn that 1.2.5 wasn't on the first post, but only buried deep in the thread. Apparently I got distracted when the 1.0.10 patch came out for reals, and then double-distracted by working secretly on the DLC. My bad.)

ID 1.2.5 is for the current 1.0.10 version of DoD (without DLC Beta).

ID 1.2.6 is the post-DLC version. For the time being, I believe that the point of the DLC Beta is to see how the DLC works without mods, so you probably should not install 1.2.6 just yet. The link is there so that you won't have to wait for me when the DLC gets out of Beta, and so that those who wish to satisfy their curiosity by peaking at the files may do so.

OmniNegro likes this.
  17. Daynab

Edited title like you wanted.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  18. I hate when people quote a ginormous post, especially when they don't have anything to say about most of it. Needless page-filling clutter.

Anyway, I have a question about frying pans. Are they slated to be part of the core game, or part of your mod? Do you mind if I stick a "special=1" copy of the frying pan in my own mod just so that people can consistently start with one, without doubling up the spawn rate of those babies?

OmniNegro, mining and Kazeto like this.
  19. r_b_bergstrom

They are not in the DLC currently, and I don't expect them to end up in it. Dbaumgart exceeded the man-hours budget, and couldn't find time to art them. All things from mods that end up in the main game get new official art so the styles match on everything. Oddly enough, the kitchens did make the cut, so the DLC has my kitchen but not the same load-out within them. One of the sub-mods of ID2.0 will feature a new first-floor kitchen to fix that, but just one and only on that one floor so we're not overloaded on kitchens (unless you play with the DLC, an old version of ID and RR all at once, ...then you're pretty much doomed to spend half the dungeon in a kitchen).

Back on topic: Feel free to add my frying pan to your mod, plus special="1". I'm cool with that. A commented credit in your itemDB would be sufficient. Something like <!-- This item borrowed from r_b_bergstrom's Interior Dredmorating mod --> would satisfy my ego.

Speaking of your itemDB, the onions that extend to the edge of the picture are yours, right? The ones with the yellow part that's got a square corner in the lower right and makes them not really look like an onion (no offense intended) the first time you see it? I'd be willing to donate some alternate onion art to the cause if you're interested. Look at the ones on a pedestal inside the "dungeon" folder of the most recent version of ID. If you like it, I could chop the pedestal out from under it for you. (Or you could do so if you don't want to wait for me.)

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. It's a deal on both counts. I enjoy making icons, but pixel art gives me a headache and looks increasingly worse the longer I spend trying to fix it.

Edit: Also also, I feel the same way about Hamm's. I could just make my own "crappy filler beer", but I prefer to re-use perfectly good existing things than create insignificantly different duplicates. If it's in the core game, I can leave things as they are, but if it's in ID, I'd like to special=1 it up.