Inspirations for CE?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Createx, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

So there will be raging elephants? Great, just great.

I´ll cheer myself up with a nice picture of cheese now...

2. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I've never read Boatmurdered, but I think it's a buzzkill toward the "I'm on a boat" meme.

3. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

It has nothing to do with an actual boat or the meme (which I just had to look up). Boatmurdered is the inspiring history of a fortress in DF. It´s preety entertaining and involves a lot of elephants. And lava.

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And a flaming corpse of a dwarven monarch that stopped the Armageddon device from triggering, unless I got stories wrong.

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Must be a fanfic or made by the developers if it's to do with Dwarf Fortress.

6. Frelus

Frelus Member

A succession community fort.
    The story of the fort was written down by the players while they each played for 1 year, then passed the save on to the next on the list.
    All events in there really happened in the game.
    Makes you fear dwarves ad magma and elephants... mostly elephants.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's a written down "let's play" made out of succession play. Every player got control over the dwarves for one in-game year, and since people playing DF tend not to care about documenting their stuff (so after getting control you didn't know whether a particular lever turned the aqueducts on or filled everything and its mother with lava), soon things started going wrong. In the end it was an epic failure of the highest quality.

Or, paraphrasing one of the developers, "You need to go read about Boarmurdered."

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. Triskelli

Triskelli Member

For ease of access, here's the link:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

You really need to read it to get into the right mindset for this game.

Actually, have you even seen Dwarf Fortress before? It doesn't sound like you know anything about it.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. omeg

omeg Member

Boatmurdered was great. Never got around to reading Gemclod though, is it worth it?

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Definitely, lots of amazing fanart and such too.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I've never played it. If it's Singleplayer-compatible I might take a look. I'd need to know the genre and the gameplay gimmick, though.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's only single-player. People play multi-player by sending saves every x in-game months or years to the next player on the list and then getting their own save with a few years having passed.
    That is what Clockwork Empires' multi-player was inspired by.

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

The gimmick? O, only that it´s the most detailed world simulation to date, with bodies being simulated down to single layers of skin. ANd that every world is created with tens of thousands of individuals with thier own history. And that you can build a fuckton of things... One simulated an ingame tabulator with a system of pumps... Gnere: Strategy, Roleplaying, Managment

Kazeto likes this.
  14. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Is it the ascii-looking one from Bay12?

15. Createx

Createx Member

Yep it is. I've never managed to get into it, UI turned me away after dabbling in it for a few minutes. It also displays information in a horrible way, and the controls are from 1984 or something. Still, it's a great game and I love reading about it, so many hilarious things can happen. I'm reading Boatmurdered right now :)

16. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Is boatmurdered just a written story, or is there an actual LP video?

17. Frelus

Frelus Member

The players wrote what happened, and made screenshots for big things, like invasions, thieves, projects and so on.
    Videos are not included, but the commentary that they wrote is really great.

18. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

Yeah, took me three tries over a course of several years till I was inteligent and experienced (as a gamer) enough to get it right. There are a few good guides that cover the basics, and the utilies that come with the noob package really help. For example dwarf therapist is an external program that lets you manage the jobs of the dwarfs on a way better interface.

Never got around to the more complicated things like pump-systems, though. Man, I really hope that CE will have as much possibilities as DF with a better interface.

But I think that´s the whole problem: I think DF can only simulate the world with such great detail because it doesn´t use fancy graphics. Before Spore it was unthinkable to even reder all the Horrors that could appear in DF. Therefore I really hope that CE will have a system that procedually creates creatures and animates them like Spore. There´s just nothing that compares to your dwarfes getting slaughtered by a near invincible platin blob that spits acid.

19. Triskelli

Triskelli Member

It's a written story with screenshots taken of the game shown, yes. Definitely worth the read.

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
    ^^Clicky click^^

20. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Adding to the reading list, a bit of my perspective:
    - Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council by China Mieville
    - Anti-Ice, The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter
    - A Colder War, The Laundry series (The Atrocity Archives, The Jennifer Morgue, The Fuller Memorandum) by Charles Stross
    - H. G. Wells and Jules Verne in general.

And the viewing list:
    - Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Monoke by Studio Ghibli
    (... hmm, yeah, we're basically all raging Hayao Miyazaki fans in one way or another.)

Short game list:
    - Dwarf Fortress, obviously, by Tarn Adams
    - all the city builders by Impressions etc (Caesar 2 & 3, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, so on)
    - Victoria by Paradox Interactive
    - Sim games in general (Sim City, Sims) by Maxis

Maybe I'll add more as I think of them.

OmniNegro and Turbo164 like this.