Increased support for mouse-only and keyboard-only play

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bohandas, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

It would be excellent if there were better support for playing using only the mouse or only the keyboard. You might not be able to get it to the point where a player could use only one or the other exclusively (especially not keyboard-exclusive), but mouse-only play could definitely be greatly enhanced by the simple expedient of adding new elements to the GUI.

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

...what do you think is missing from each?

3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Among others:

Mouse:
    -There's no way to skip turns with just the mouse
    -No way to go to a square without picking up any object on said square
    -No way to drop an object onto the square where you're standing without using both the keyboard and the mouse

Keyboard:
    -No way to pick (specific) things up or put them down
    -No way to select items not in belt
    -No way to move items to belt
    -No way to move skills to skill belt
    -No way to do crafting/encrusting
    -No way to target spells
    -No way to path to distant squares
    -No way to close doors
    -No way to disarm traps
    -No way to drop an object onto the square where you're standing without using both the keyboard and the mouse

General:
    -Inconsistent handling of traps between control methods

4. Wolg

Wolg Member

Yeah, just as a third party guess I don't think there's a solution to this which doesn't greatly complicate matters, either in the interface or the code.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I think the middle mouse would be able to fill a ton of these gaps.

One more thing you missed, which has always confused me: you can't dismiss recipe popups with the keyboard. you have to click them.

Other popups that have choices ("okay", "yes", "no") are also like this. They could be easily fixed with Y/N/Space shortcut keys.