I'm glad this place is preserved

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by MurdustheWild, Feb 21, 2023.

1. MurdustheWild

MurdustheWild Member

I've been trying to beat this game on and off for 12 years now.

I never really posted here while we were all here. I was here, sure, but I never really posted. I just lurked,watched people have their discussions, dig through the place for info here and there. I was a shy kid, and a burnout. I didn't think it was my place to intrude on. I didn't think I had anything meaningful to contribute until I actually won. I guess I felt like without a win, my opinion and my feelings on things just didn't matter.

I've been trying to beat the game on and off for the past 12 years, and every time I started again, I opened up the old forums to look around, dig through old posts, and try to piece together again what the community wisdom was at the time on any given topic. Figure out how people felt, how people thought, and why. I don't have a very good memory for these things, so I kept checking every few years. I saw people getting excited for a new game - thought it looked neat, but I didn't think much of it.

Then the next time I looked, everyone was gone. This place became just a moment in time, crystallized in amber. Dead, but not forgotten.

I don't really know why I'm writing all this out. I'm feeling melancholic, and... well, I guess I just want people to know that I remember all of you, and I'm glad this place is still preserved. I don't know for how long it's going to remain here, and if anyone will even see this.

But thank you all for the years of discussions and experimentations. Thank you for all the community efforts to try to keep this game decipherable for new players, and returning old ones. Thank you for everything.

Oh, and one more thing: I got my win on the 18th of February, 2023. Dwarven Moderation, Permadeath, full-sized floors, floor 15. It was a pure melee unarmed build, dual-wielding shields. Unarmed, Shield Bearer, Master of Arms, Perception, Wand Lore, Smithing, and Big Game Hunter.

I walked up to him, and punched him in the face.

[​IMG]

Here's my stat screen, and the gloves I punched him with, after welding 143 nails to it.

[​IMG]

I learned a lot from this run, and I think the next one will go even better. I pretty much just ended up punching out monster zoos, one by one, impervious to harm, with only the occasional instability effect causing minor headaches. It's scary when the tentacles hold you in place for a few turns, but when you're virtually impervious to damage anyway from all the diamonds you welded to your pants, it's not that bad. Just scary. Melee is pretty good, if tedious when you stumble into a zoo.

Even though we never spoke, I miss y'all. I hope y'all are doing well.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Vitellozzo likes this.
  2. Jacq

Jacq Member

Congrats on the win :) It must have felt amazing after so many years to final conquer it!

MurdustheWild and Vitellozzo like this.
  3. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

W f*ing P
    Beating the game is never easy, praise the RNG!

And also thanks for the nice words, you described my feelings toward this place in the best way, pure golden words.

MurdustheWild likes this.
  4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I too miss this place, and log in randomly from time to time when Dredmor calls me back to the dungeon.

MurdustheWild and Vitellozzo like this.
  5. MurdustheWild

MurdustheWild Member

I check in about every month just for nostalgia's sake. I'm very excited seeing new developments, though, as vague as they are at the moment. This place might start seeing some life again.

r_b_bergstrom and Vitellozzo like this.
  6. Manny Pardo

Manny Pardo Member

When I first read this thread, I felt it deeply. I will admit that, to this day, my copy of the game was pirated, ever since I was a child. In classic latinamerican fashion, my father had bought a CD with many games in it, one of which happened to be Dungeons of Dredmor. I was deeply captivated by the pixels, the sounds, the witty jokes which I didn't understand back then, but still were amusing.
    That was nearly 13 years ago. Today, as a college student, having had some difficulties and making rough choices, I still play a heavily modded version of the game. I still remember my first vanilla victory, with a build consisting of Dual Wield, Axe, Berserk, Master of Arms, Smithing, Tinkering and Clockwork Knight. I only thought of it after reading the Community Skills Guide, a blessing for my dimwitted past self.
    I wanted to be here then, and I want to keep being here now. I even made some wacky and overly complex world with OCs and the like, something personal which I feel proud of. I still don't have a job and whatever little money we have must be spent on more important things. But I've promised myself that, whenever I get my first full payment, I'd buy the game and the DLCs legally, as should be done for something of its caliber.
    I love Dungeons of Dredmor. I love the community behind it. I love that the slumbering titan known as Gaslamp Games is slowly waking up.