[idle curiousity] Gangnam Style

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

SO MUCH YES!

That said, if there was someone talented enough to create Noh Hong-chul sprites, I would accuse them of wasting their talents here. :p

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  2. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Is this a challenge?

Lorrelian and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Only if you want it to be.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

Yes. Yes it is. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Wyrmcraft

Wyrmcraft Member

I really like that idea of the Op effect stacking and when it hits three pulling off some kind of move, would be a really neat effect. Especially to manage 3 hits verses lesser monsters and then one greater hit against something scary...would be a lot of fun to manage.

The issue I'm seeing is that the hypothetic skill set is meant to be some kind of martial arts set up doesn't really provide much right now. I mean I guess it's meant to make you largely untouchable, which would actually make sense. Scratch that, throw some dodge on everything and it makes a lot of sense, it's a martial art about special effects and dancing; makes a lot of sense to keep people away. Would be good for mages and rogues.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Essence

The flavor text is martial arts, but that's just flavor text. Really the idea is to give Warriors access to some decent spell effects, but require them to be in melee in order to access them, thus keeping it Warrior-oriented rather than being a Wizard skill that gives Burliness and Caddishness.

I can see adding a point or two of Dodge for flavor value, but I wouldn't want to make it too big of a thing, because then it's like I'm building for all three archetypes at once. I don't want that.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

After all, communism is a warrior skill. And it's more like a rogue skill tree.
    Warriors want candies too.

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Wyrmcraft

Wyrmcraft Member

Very true, though wouldn't it be alright to make it slightly all three archtypes as long as it's just token and the bonuses are small? Like a point of dodge or two.

I guess what I'm saying is that in Dungeons of Dredmor the flavor text isn't just flavor text, it's all we really have to understand the ability while in game from the perspective of the in game character. It expands on the universe and grants us the ability to look at the, let's be honest very similar looking game, with a new flavor every time we find a new combination of items and the like. So, for example, if we call Gangnam style a martial art, I would like to see this as an actual style of fighting that fits with the theme of a music video's ridiculousness and crazy dance moves. Like you know how there are those scenes where you see someone fighting a dancer and they inadvertently dodge everything while doing their moves? Throw that into the ridiculous of the Gangnam style video and all the random wacky little music video tricks and we have a really cool thematic skill.

I love what you've done with the skill set so far, but since it's still new and malleable I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I think some of the skills should be kept but others could be revised to better fit the theme of say a dodge, displacement, and warrior pets...I love the ability to summon back-up dancers.

As a skill, I think the displacement and spell effects are very valuable. The ability to always be moving, dodging, pushing away enemies, teleporting, and stunning them definitely appeals to warriors, rogues, and gishes...though Mages can do it more effectively with their various skills...the issue is that it takes MANY different skill sets with mages to reach the level of utility this possesses. The danger comes in making the skill a must pick for that displacement. Thus it has to either have slightly better effects but negatives to combat them (getting dizzy from too much dancing, blinding yourself with stagelights, etc), poor scaling, a rebalance, or even some skill reworks.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take it or leave it Essence, you know what you are doing far better than I do. I'm loving complete essential skills and I can't wait to see what you can add to this game in the future.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  9. bluehinter

bluehinter Member

I know I should be working on my own mod, but I couldn't resist making this:

[​IMG]

Feel free to use it, edit it, or not. I may reuse the cowboy portion of it myself in a later mod.
    Personally, I think the elevator would be a pretty good excuse for an ascenddungeonlevel spell, but that's kind of boring on it's own. Maybe tack on a buff or something to make it worthwhile as something other than a last ditch escape route.

Myrkabah, Onamar, Kazeto and 3 others like this.
  10. Essence

I can't like that post enough.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.