Idea sharing help and stuff!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Knallis, Dec 22, 2011.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Do dot effects have to actually do damage, or can I do something like
    Code:
    <effect type="dot" amount="6" spell="Monstrous Rage" />
    ?

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

They can be used for that. In fact, they are, even in the original game files.

3. FaxCelestis

Awesome. *makes some mushrooms*

4. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

I'm not sure if this is something known already, but I figured out an easy way to add additional skills to a pre-existing class. Just create a new skill with the same id as the class you want to extend, starting its level one above the class's final skill. Handy for adding additional smithing/tinkering/etc. levels.

Spectreincarnate and Essence like this.
  5. Onamar

Onamar Member

Is this all set up right? It's for a spell that gives you a defense buff and damages nearby enemies every turn:

Code:
    <spellDB>

<spell name="Scrap Shield" downtime="30" type="self" icon="skills/scrap_shield32.png">
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/whirlingblades/whirlingblades" frames="3" framerate="50" sfx="summon_blades.wav" centerEffect="1"/>
      <buff usetimer="0" time="15" allowstacking="0" icon="skills/spells/blade_being64.png" smallicon="skills/spells/blade_being32.png">
        <secondarybuff id="10" amount="2" /> <!-- Armor Absorption -->
        <secondarybuff id="7" amount="5" /> <!-- Block -->
        <effect type="dot" self="1" amount="15" resistable="0" spell="Swirling Scrap"/>
      </buff>
      <description text="Stand back, I have cutlery and I'm not afraid to use it!"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Swirling Scrap" type="template" templateID="10000" anchored="1" icon="skills/spells/blade_being64.png">
      <effect type="damage" slashing="5" slashingF="0.25" affectscaster="0"/>
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impact_slash/impact_slash" frames="5" framerate="100" sfx="dmg_slashing" centerEffect="0" />
    </spell>

</spellDB>

6. FaxCelestis

Looks okay.

7. Onamar

Onamar Member

For some reason my skills still won't show up in game. I can select them just fine, but when I try to check the skill window in game, I just have a blank row. I'm not getting any more errors on the XML Validator either. I've compared it to other mods and I don't see what I'm doing wrong, can you guys check it out?

Attached Files:

8. HypnoticSheep

HypnoticSheep Member

When that happened to me, it was because I was using an unzipped version of my mod. If you've got the zipped and unzipped versions in the mods folder, make sure you pick the zipped one in the mod launcher.

9. Onamar

Onamar Member

I've tried both, neither works.

I've given them different names anyways.

10. I'd like to see more skill trees that work like Veganism, kind of a take on conducts from Nethack. I really love how it gives desirable bonuses for a warrior type while taking away the ability to eat most foods, so my idea was a mage counterpart, the Teetotaler. You'd gain various bonuses to mana and mana regen thanks to your clear head, but would take severe penalties for drinking booze. Of course other conducts would be great too, that's just off the top of my head.

11. Onamar

Onamar Member

Okay, so instead of a skill tree, I've decided to just make a crafting mod.

There will be a few more items added, all will be craftable, BUT the big part is a new, powerful item for every slot/type (two for Staves, one Magic and one for actually bonking things) that's crafted out of four other "high tier" items. Something like this:

Caledfwlch
    "The most practical looking sword you've ever seen, truly a blade worthy of a great leader."

Crafted from:
    +Lucid Saber
    +Doul's Possible Sword
    +Savvarius, Greatsword of the Amusin Clan
    +Excalibur (New Mace (Yes, a mace, "It's a shame that they never managed to get it out of the rock."))

And that would result in a really freaking strong sword with a high Artifact Level that would otherwise have no special effects. Now, that wouldn't be true about every item, some of the others might be comparable in strength to current top-tier items, but have some cool ideas that I was planning to use in skills on my other mod.

12. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Better not be Eris....

Anyhow, back on topic.
    Why are there no PokeMods!? Lookin' at you Fax!

13. jadkni

jadkni Member

Naw, I'm not stepping on your toes here, honest. :p

I'm trying to recreate Xom. It's tricky though.

14. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Make it so when you perform various actions, it triggers a spell. That spell triggers various things on the player after a rather long delay, completely randomly. In each there'd be a small chance to trigger one of many things from a long list.

The list of triggers you can put in a skill are the following for your ease of use:
    targetHitEffectBuff
    playerHitEffectBuff
    targetKillBuff
    triggeroncast
    triggerondodge
    crossbowShotBuff
    thrownBuff

All of them that say buff do show their text the rest I believe don't. All of the buffs use percentage, the others use percent.

ChristmasAsen, jadkni and Essence like this.
  15. jadkni

jadkni Member

I wasn't aware of many of those - thanks! I probably can't rig up any way to make him stop acting, but a way to cause him to act for the next X number of rounds guaranteed would probably work.

16. FaxCelestis

Note that neither Ruigi nor I have been able to get playerHitEffectBuff to work.

17. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Dur? Really? Under what circumstances? My PlayerHitEffectBuffs work just fine.

18. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

playerHitEffectBuffs work fine, though it seems to bug up if you add more than one to any given skill or ability.

19. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Hi, first time poster here, and looking for a little help, I'd really appreciate it. So what I'm trying to do is make it so that when you fire your crossbow, you don't deal any physical damage (piercing, slashing, crushing), and instead deal only magical/elemental damage. I think I've got the gist of the thing, obviously balance isn't really taken into account here, and image+animation isn't really my forte so those are non-functional at the moment. What's bugging me is that I can't seem to find a way to make it so that skill activates if and only if the attack was originated using a crossbow. I've made it so that bolt recovery is 100%, though I'd much prefer having it cost no ammo at all, but still use the stats+effect of the bolt (meaning if I used a Squid Bolt, I'd still get the full effect of the Squid Bolt). If it's not possible, 100% recovery rate is fine. Thanks in advance for your answers

Code:
    - <spell name="Stellarshot" downtime="80" type="self" icon="skills/attack_not_yet_made.png">
      <anim sprite="not_yet_made" frames="4" framerate="100" sfx="not_yet_made" />
    - <buff useTimer="0" self="1" attacks="5" stackable="0" stacksize="1"icon="not_yet_made" smallicon="skills/attack_not_yet_made.png">
      <effect type="buff" self="1" sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="100" sfx="magic" />
      <recoverybuff amount="100" />
      <damagebuff piercing="-50" slashing="-50" crushing="-50"/>
      <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="Cosmic Bolt" />
      </buff>
      <description text="Infuse your crossbow with the rippling powers of the constellations themselves! Your bolts no longer deal any physical damage, instead, they are transformed into bolts of pure space energy, searing and melting through your enemies!" />
      </spell>

- <spell name="Cosmic Bolt" type="missile" icon="empty.png" wand="0">
      <requirements mp="6" savvyBonus="0.25" />
      <effect type="damage" voltaic="18" voltaicF="0.25" aethereal="18" aetherealF="0.15" affectscaster="1" />
    - <buff useTimer="1" time="8" stacksize="5" icon="skills/stat_str64.png" smallicon="skills/stat_str32.png">
      <secondarybuff id="11" amount="-10" />  <!--  magic Resist -->
      </buff>
      <description text="SUPERNOVAAAAAAAA!!" monsterText="Holy cow Batman, lightning bolts from space!" />
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/energy_ball/energy_ball" frames="6" framerate="80" sfx="elec" />
      <impact sprite="empty" frames="6" framerate="80" sfx="magic" centerEffect="0" />
      </spell>

20. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Try using <crossbowShotBuff name="Cosmic Bolt" percentage="100" /> instead of targetHitEffectBuff