I need to say this again, in its own thread...

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Mikel, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

The latest iteration of the work crew menu looks really polished. It was clearly crafted with care.

dbaumgart likes this.
  2. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

It is a lot better. Much easer to use though opening it without pausing causes bad lag over 40 or so colonists for me.

I'd like to be able to click on a colonists' Workgroup label and have that group open up - can be useful to track down errant colonists.

The downside now is that you can't see the names for members of a workgroup - if you micromanage, this can be useful.

Also, it is no longer possible to disband a military group .. or at least the old button has gone walkabouts.

3. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Thanks! There is still much to be done. The importance of the lower class characters is being reduced to give players a smaller essential cast of characters to be concerned about, which has been our intent for a long while.

Conscription and deconscription are being decoupled from the work crew menu and are being moved to barracks and other workshops to bring them more in-line with the designation of other specific middle-class character roles. You still get one NCO to start with because given the state of combat AI we can't leave you high and dry at the start of the game if you don't have anyone, but assigning them to a workshop will deconscript them and assigning non-military to barracks should conscript them. (Some of that code somehow didn't make it into 41C due to i guess gremlins in the build process, but it should be in future versions).

Great to hear that people are finding the transition fairly smooth though. Expect more changes to the UI to shift player focus and add clarity where necessary :)

4. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

The key sign that you've done something right is when you can remove something, like the details on the lower class colonists, and not have it feel like something is missing. I appreciate not having to worry so much about those additional characters. I was going to be really worried about the level of micromanagement needed to balance the wishes and desires of a couple hundred colonists.

5. Finndibaenn

Finndibaenn Member

It's indeed a progress from previous UI, however i have the same performance issue as Bluebird is mentionning : when i get to 15 or so overseer opening the work crew menu creates noticeable lag.
    At 20 or so overseer you get 30s pauses or so, and the game just crashed when i tried to open it with 23 overseers

Daniel likes this.
  6. Think Nicholas is working on the lagging at the moment from looking at the 41D exp thread at top of page involving UI window slowdown.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Daniel likes this.