I have vague ideas for making new skill mod, but no modding knowledge

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ruigi, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I wanted to create my own mod, but I'm not sure as to what extent the features I'm imagining are possible with what is availiable.

The new character skill I wanted to make centers around the use of both a sword and a shield, meaning that I only wanted the skills to work with a character setup that both used a shield, and a melee weapon.

For the moment I'm naming the skill "Chivalry" and the goal of the skill is to assist melee builds that use heavy armor and a weapon and shield.
    The reason I'm writing this is because I want some feedback on the type of skills that can be made with the current modding tools, and what possible workarounds exist for the ones that do not.

Skill1:
    Oath of Honor
    4 stubbornness
    You've taken an oath to fight honorably that imbues you with a sense of righteousness, As long as you fight honorably, you will get bonus experience for killing enemies with melee attacks.
    (Bonus is (monster levelx2))
    If the player uses an item or skill that grants invisibility, or the venomous infusion skill, the player gets a Dishonorable Demerit penalty that grants -5 to stubborness and caddishness as well as makes the player unable to use chivalry skills for 100 turns.

Skill2
    Honorable Execution
    Cooldown (20)turns
    A melee attack that grants double experience if it kills the target.

Skill3
    Rook's Charge
    Cooldown (20)turns
    Close the distance between yourself and the enemy with a melee attack that deals bonus damage and has a chance to stun. Only works on enemies in front of you on a horizontal or verticle axis. You cannot use this skill to jump over enemies.
    +5 melee power
    +10 critical chance
    %33 chance to stun
    Teleports the player next to any enemy directly horizontal or vertical of the player and hits them with a melee attack. Used by targeting an enemy. Only works on enemies directly horizontal or vertical from the player who are not obstructed.

Skill4
    Mighty Strikes
    You put the weight of your armor behind your blows. As long as you wield a single melee weapon, you may add your armor rating to your burliness for the purposes of determining your melee power.

Skill5
    Righteous Avenger
    Cooldown (60) turns
    Your arms are imbued with protections against evil, You gain 4 resistance against necromantic, poison, and putrefaction damage. 20 Magic Resistance, and 5 bonus righteous damage to all attacks. Lasts for 20 turns.

I'm not really looking for comments on gameplay balance-- though you may post about that if you choose. What I'm really asking is whether or not features like this can be implemented with the current set of modding tools.

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

You can't make restrictions about weapons just yet as that's in the fun land of hardcoded.
    Oath of Honor: The entire thing will not work, at all. No part of it.
    Honorable Execution: It can give exp, but not multiply it.
    Rook's Charge: You can't actually give stats directly to the attack (well it might actually be possible through some fun things with buffs), but can add damage to an attack
    Mighty Strikes: Not possible at all.
    Righteous Avenger: Possible and very easy

3. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

What about the teleport effect of rook's charge-- is that possible?

It's supposed to be a play on knightly leap (you have to move in an L-shape, like the chess piece). This version would require you to move like a rook (horizontal or vertical axis, can't jump over enemies or obstructions)

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Look up the code for Invisible Geometries; it has a straight-line-only teleport.

5. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Couldn't you add a triggeroncast effect to venomous infusion that cast Dishonorable Merits and also polymorphs the player into special monster that can't use the skill set?

6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

1. that would require editing existing spells which would not work at all
    2. Polymorphing the player would make ALL skills unusable and all stat bonuses void.

Rook's charge teleport and everything is fine and completely possible to the exact specification.