I have some kind of error with my mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vampyre, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

Alright I've made a mod and put it up on Steam Workshop. I've just realized this bug, the game will not complete a save when I have the mod activated on the launcher. Saves don't seem to be affected from hen I play without the mod. Could there be something wrong my files? I have all the XML validated and all, I really don't know what could be the cause. I haven't used any other mods so I have no clue if it's something wrong in-game or my mod in specific.

I have attached said mod.

Attached Files:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I do not have the game installed at the moment, but I tried a few simple things to see if it would help. I will just post it here. The big changes are the removal of the sounds and sprites directories since they were empty, the removal of one exclamation mark and one underscore in the mod.xml and absolutely nothing else. :)

I really doubt the exclamation mark or underscore matter, and it is easy enough to try it both ways if this does not fix it. The game can be very picky about exactly how it wants things to be in the xml. While it may at times be less ascetically pleasing to make it the way the game wants, it usually pays off to not have to debug stuff.

I am about to go to sleep. If upon waking no-one has tried it to see if this fixes it then I will install the game and try myself.

Attached Files:

Vampyre likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Unable to sleep, I gave up and installed the game. I tried my own fix of your mod first and it worked fine. Saving works, and the game loads correctly too. Then I tried your version and it also worked... So I am confused. I fixed nothing. Have you tried verifying your DoD install via Steam or whatever vendor you got it from? Something is wrong, but your mod does not seem to be the problem.

Vampyre likes this.
  4. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

Odd, I will uninstall and re-install my game. Then I'll see if it works.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

Alright, I'm stilling having the problems. I can save when not using the mod and can access those saves whenever. However, any saves I make in game while using my mod seem to not appear.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Since you are using no other mods, I would try deleting your profile along with all your saves and then start DoD and exit. This should remake the profile with exception of the ./mods/ subdirectory. You can then try again with a entirely fresh build. (Presuming you have not already tried this.)

7. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

Alright , this is just incredibly peculiar. I've done that and still the problem persists. I'm through with my mod so I'll just never use it again.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Does your Windows username contain any non-english characters by any chance?

Vampyre and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

I run windows 7, and as far as I know, there are no non-English characters used.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Does your mod include any image files that were made using GIMP? That can sometimes make saves act wonky for some reason.

11. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

I am not sure, I collaborated with some other guys for art on the project(I was the coder and writer). I never knew about this bug, thanks for bringing it up. I can't really check on it, things went sour between the guys and me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

loading the image files in photoshop and exporting them again should probably fix whatever gimp broke

13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

If indeed it is a gimp related error

14. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

Ah, if only I had the money to get Photoshop.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Surely someone here has Photoshop and can do this trivial amount of work?

Vampyre likes this.
  16. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

There are free programs that'll do it. FastStone is one.

OmniaNigrum and Vampyre like this.
  17. Vampyre

Vampyre Member

Alright, I'll try it out at a later time, a bit busy here at the moment.

OmniaNigrum likes this.