How do I correctly download mods?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Linguine, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Linguine

Linguine Member

Im sorry, but I have looked in many of the threads here, searched the forums, other websites on the internet, and done everything else I can think of, but I am not quite getting this.

I extract the files from the download into Documents>Gaslamp Games>Dungeons of Dredmor>mods

Then I put them into their own folders, with items, mod, and skills seperated. XML files are in mod, while pictures are in the other two. That is the case with Essential DoD skills I and II by Essence, I also have the Dragon Knight by mamga downloaded, which does not add items.

The problem I am having is that on my launcher mod list, the Essential DoD skills will sometimes be listed twice, or even three times, in place of one of the other mods. It happens with both I and II, and changes when I mess around with the files, I have not yet been able to find a pattern. I have also not been able to find a configuration that lets me have Dragon Knight, as well as Essentials I and II, all at the same time. I have seen a few other posts referencing this problem, and it appears that even though its only happening with the Essentials mod for me, it is happening with other mods, for other people, leading me to believe that its not the mod that is the problem, it is something I am doing wrong.

If anyone knows a way around this problem, any help, or ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

are you using a mac?

a solution is to merge all the files into one mod folder. This will require you to merge the data in all of the xml files.

3. mamga

mamga Member

He's using vista, he posted on my thread earlier.
    Anyways, You shouldn't need to extract Essence's or my mods at all. Simply putting the zip file you downloaded into the Documents>Gaslamp Games>Dungeons of Dredmor>mods folder will install it correctly. We packaged our mods in such a way that extraction isn't necessary. This will not be the case however with all mods (Clockwork Knights comes to mind.) Clockwork knights will require that you extract and then take the folder and put it into the mods folder.