Health, graveyard and emeralds

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zelnick, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Zelnick

Zelnick Member

Hello Gaslamp Games,

here are some suggestions, you may reconsider:

1. Health regeneration:
    I think, the whole regeneration needs an complete overhaul. Whats the point, hitting the spacebar 500 times to regenerate for health? It's soo crazy. Sometimes, I can wander around, to regen my health, but when i'm nearly dead, or discovered a monster-zoo (and are won't spent any food for healing), I can stand in a corner and hit the spacebar, again, and again..
    Or wander through a door with only 50% life. You doesn't know, what behind the door is, also hitting the spacebar...
    It seems like a broken gamemechanic.
    My suggestion:
    Went for a Hunger-bar; you must eat on a regular basis, or you get a "starvation-debuff" or something, which lowers your life/stats. So, you are forced to eat, and i'm more willing to eat, when i must. Healing with food is an emergency for me , because, my friend the spacebar heals me, too.

Or a sleep button; game is running while you sleep, and you only awake, if you hit the button again, or a monster attacks you. (But i think, the hunger-thingy is more appreciate)

2. The Graveyard of the Adventurers:
    I've seen in earlier builds (screenshots), that the titles varies of the fallen heroes, but i've only adventurers. Is there a chance, that we get the titles back?

3. Emeralds as start equip:
    I think, they are too powerful to have at start. With 3 Emeralds (which is possible) you can craft the encrusted ring, which gives you 15 health. Since I've learned that, i'm starting the game over and over again, to get them, because the other options aren't such useful for the start, except Emeralds (3 Emeralds and 2 Gold ingots are possible, too).
    My suggestion:
    Delete them from the starting equip (maybe goldingots, too). The game lured me in a postion, to restart, check equip, restart... i don't like such things.

4. Diagonal item dropping:
    I can pick items diagonal, but can't drop them this way. Is there any logic behind this? I think, they should be dropped the same way, which i can pick them.

2. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

What build are you getting emeralds at the start with?

This I agree with

3. Wolg

Wolg Member

On 1: hunger and sleep are well-known roguelike mechanics from way back; not using them will have been, I suspect, a design choice.

Personally I don't think it's a broken mechanic in the same way that lucky pick + skol could be farmed. You aren't really getting something for nothing, as each space-wait counts to the timer for respawning monsters. You also aren't required to do it unless out of food entirely, it's a player choice to.

On 2: known and apparently planned to fix, but less of a priority than other bugs.

On 3: if you don't like startscumming items... why do it? ;) The game's playable without doing so...

Vitellozzo likes this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

1: This is deliberate, they didn't want a hunger mechanic, and to tie food to regen. The health regen debate has been running since the game was in beta, we've tried a few things (even no health regen at all) and this is the best we found, a way to regen instantly if you have food.

2: Yeah, it's an old bug, but unfortunately low priority.

3: I don't really have a comment on this, it should probably get looked at, though.

4: It's an inconsistency that should probably also get looked at, at some point.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Alchemy. But it's really random, and you need Tinkering for the ring too, so I think we should let it be if someone just gets lucky because changing it would be a hassle (now it just gives you random gems, if we were to change that there would have to be a new faux item class, or at least another entirely new "drop list" for gems, and I don't see that going anywhere)

Vitellozzo and Bohandas like this.
  6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

This.

7. mining

mining Member

The only reason he thinks it's too stronk is basically by save scumming until he gets the item he wants.

8. Noxor

Noxor Member

Startscumming - Emeralds:
    There is even something better than the 15HP 2REG ring chance - it's 3x Cassiterite->6tin ingots. With Smithing LVL2 you're able to create 3 tin rings, which are likely to have +damage, +armor absorbtion and +resistence. Damage bonus is very important in the early game and killing monsters in few turns saves much HP.
    Just test it.

Another method for comfortable regeneration is increasing the animation speed and walking long lines. This is especially useful for vegan big game hunters.

Low HP - Debuffs:
    This sounds amazing to force your attention but vampires should be excluded from it.

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Damn! You're right!

He even said that now that I've reread his post.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  10. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Even after knowing that, nothing will bring me to keep restarting to just start more powerful.
    But there is a "no permadeath" choise, which is also "easy modo how weak" thing. You can choise to use it, or to stick in permadeath games. And being able to not losing your character after having opened a bad placed zoo with low hp and being chased, and to delete this scene entirely, is the biggest way of "cheating" the game.
    Restarting each time just to start with a big item... come on.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Smithing.

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I would like to say, however, that the fourth point about items at diagonals is a good one. Being able to pick stuff up on diagonals but not drop them at diagonals doesn't make a lick of sense.

(Even the other way around would make more sense; ie. if you could drop things at diagonals but not pick them up at diagonals. Because at least that way I could envision how it would work: the stuff at diagonals would be just out of your reach in terms of having to bend down, etc, but not so far that you couldn't toss things into that square)

SkyMuffin likes this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, you are right. The point still remains, though.

14. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Then you are cheating and you should feel about that accordingly.

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I don't think Vitellozzo is cheating there Fax, it's Zelnick that is trying to get a perfect fortress from the start.

16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Maybe I wrote in a bad manner: even after knowing that, I'm not going to do this.

17. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Who talked about what point. I sure didn't.

18. Maxumym

Maxumym Member

Excuse me?

19. mining

mining Member

[​IMG]

Vitellozzo likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm not saying that you did, that comment was for others to know. Really, I know I'm high-strung today but please, guys, try to do notice the obvious thing.

Random builds, for example. As if that wasn't obvious enough...

Vitellozzo likes this.