Grave Digger

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by kitmehsu, Jan 4, 2012.

1. That's unfortunate (you AND him being AWOL, i mean). If someone is going to pick this up again, consider adding a "spawns a trap" feature to "dig deeper". Essentially, drops a trap that applies the partial burial" debuff to unsuspecting enemies.

2. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Yeah okay. I'll make a nice remix of this mod then, call it Undertaker or something.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I would use the mod you make if it has any reasonable melee skills and any reasonable digging spell/skill. (Digging one square is not reasonable. Digging a huge line may be too potent, but I do not know how to limit it to say five squares or so.)

But do what you want. You are doing the work. I will thank you if I can use it and not feel totally ripped off for paying nothing. :)

AllurlewtsRbelongtome likes this.
  4. Well come to think about it, if we go to the flavor text - buried alive should technically be castable on open ground to create the one hole that does minor damage. Subsequent levels should therefore do "more". We could then move the idea of a "trap that immobilizes" to partial burial. As for creating a line of holes in front of you, rather than just recycle the buried alive,aAn interesting concept there would be to monsters suffer a damage type, and a relevant stackable-debuff to that damage type for each successive trap they proc.That way, you could have an ability that does a satisfying level of damage to a single monster, without being stupidly overpowered vs. groups.
    While I like the concept of finding stuff as you dig, I think that you should be able to find stuff for every level of this tree, rather than just the one. Naturally, lower levels will have a lower risk/reward ratio.

Yep, what he said.

5. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

Just a post to let you people know that I'm not quite dead yet. I have been working on an update for a while, it's just been some IRL stuff getting in the way. I should have it updated by monday, complete with the icons provided earlier.

6. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Cool, that means I can make Mortician a bit more different than it was going to be already. Work already started on it.

AllurlewtsRbelongtome likes this.
  7. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

Okay Putting up the new folder now, once the steamworks goes live, and any new bugs are quashed, I'll add it to the workshop.

Change log(0.9.0 > 0.9.3):
    Fixes:
    Fixed the mixed up prices on the shovel and the ashes

General Changes:
    All abilities now scale based upon :melee_power:
    Icons have been added in for everything except the main skill icon.
    Is now a Warrior skill set.

Buried Alive:
    Proc :dmg_crushing: scales at 0.40:melee_power:
    Proc :dmg_aphyxiative: scales at 0.35:melee_power:
    Now has a chance of hitting multiple times on undead instead of doing :dmg_existential:

Partial Burial
    :dmg_existential: scales at 0.45:melee_power:

Cremation
    Pyres damage changed to (2+0.5:melee_power:):dmg_conflagratory:
    Proc :dmg_conflagratory: scales at 0.45 :melee_power:

Dig Deeper
    Cool down reduced to 20 turns
    Eldritch Inhabitation is replaced by the Eldritch Passenger Buff:
    Eldritch Passenger
    Description: You disturbed something that best be left sleeping, and it is now inhabiting your skull. It grants you some of it's power, but unfortunately it doesn't pay rent.
    Consumes 1 mana every 2 rounds, cannot be canceled, counts as a bad buff.
    Grants: 2:resist_crushing: 2:resist_slashing: 2:resist_piercing: 2:resist_nercomatic: 2:resist_righteous: On hit, drains (3+0.65:melee_power: ):dmg_necromatic: + (3+0.65:melee_power: ):mana_steal:

Last Lights
    All :dmg_righteous: scales 0.45:melee_power:
    Bonus undead damage does not scale

New Skill: Load Baring Dirt
    You've finally figured out how to bury them all in time, use the dungeon to bury them for you by collapsing it around them.
    Adds new Skill: Load Baring Dirt
    -Load Baring Dirt [20 Cooldown, floor target]
    Description: By digging in just the right spots, you can make a whole chunks of the dungeon collapse, burying the corpses into the great beyond. Explosively.
    Hits All squares within 2 spaces of the target location, dealing (10+0.2:melee_power:):dmg_crushing: .
    Digs all hit squares.
    Any corpse hit triggers a blast identical to the damage and spread of last lights, consuming the corpse.

New Item:
    Fell Bottle - Potion - 121z
    Contains a unspeakable cosmic entity, that stupidly got itself trapped in a bottle.
    On use: Gives the Eldritch Passenger buff.

8. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

.... why?

9. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

Because back when this was made, it was pre 1.0.10, so it had to be based on magic power. I knew I wanted to change it to something else, melee power was the one that made the most sense thus far. (On version 0.9.2, it actually scaled on :stubborness: , but the skill set really doesn't lend itself to warrior/wizarding) I mean, I'm not married to the scaling, its just what its set at right now, and it does make sense as a default warrior based skill scaling factor.

10. So you could make yours completely different, which lets me play both trees, because allurlewtsRbelongtome. Obviously. Anyway, gonna do another big DoD run this weekend. Expect some heavy feedback from me then.

11. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I'm not sure. The only real thing :magic_power: has going for it is that it is used to scale things. From my personal experience (I playtest my own stuff and other people's stuff a lot), if you use something other than :magic_power: there should be a good reason to use something other than :magic_power:. If you don't have one, always default to :magic_power:. These could be either mechanical reasons, thematic reasons, or in some cases both at once: :melee_power: on warrior skills means they're exempt from the problems of heavy armor for their bonuses, :sagacity: for Remember Your Charlemange gives a nice theming that it's based on your knowledge of lore and history, and :tinkerer: for the new minor crafting skills both make them encourage players to invest in crafting (mechanical) and reflect the theme of knowing how to use advanced equipment (thematic). I don't see much of a mechanical reason for a grave digger to be exempt from the effects of :magic_power: penalties. I also don't see much of a thematic reason to use :melee_power:, sure, digging graves is hard work but it hardly seems to be about how hard you can hit something and how fit you are.

12. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

well I would like to point out, in case you missed it, it is a Warrior skill now.

13. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I did miss that! Well, sure then okay.

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Not to be a nit-picker, but the term is "load bearing". :)

Also, I'm psyched for this revamp. I don't know that I'll have time to playtest it in the next few weeks, but I'm psyched nonetheless. :)q

15. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Drinking from a Fell Bottle crashes the game. Seems like either the eldritch passenger skill sprite is missing or the path to it is wrong.

16. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

Update on behind the scenes progress, I have addressed the Eldritch Passenger crash, however, It reveled a new bug where the hitTargetEffectBuff doesn't trigger the drain/mana recharge. I have tinkered a while with it, before calling it a night having spent too much on it. Once i get the bug quashed, I will be giving an upload to the workshop.

17. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

targetHitEffectBuff. That is all.

18. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

okay, this is really fustrating me, so I'm going to throw it out there for other people to puzzle over.
    Here's the Buff:
    Code:
    <spell name="Eldritch Passenger" type="self" icon="skills/gravedigger/eldritch_passenger_64.png">
            <description text="You disturbed something that best be left sleeping, and it is now inhabbiting your skull.  It grants you some of it's power, but unfortunately it doesn't pay rent"/>
            <buff    useTimer="0"
                    removable="0"
                    manaUpkeep="2"
                    stackable="0"
                    icon="skills/gravedigger/eldritch_passenger_64.png"
                    smallicon="skills/gravedigger/eldritch_passenger_32.png" >
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="Fungal Mana 0" />
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="Pact Lifesteal" />
            <resistbuff necromantic="2" crushing="2" piercing="2" slashing="2" righteous="2"/>
            <halo name="sprites/sfx/curse_loop/curse_loop" first="0" num="7" frameRate="100"/>
        </buff>
    </spell>
    I switched over to using pre-existing spells to attempt to limit the variables. Pact-Lifesteal works as a proc, but the fungal mana one does not.

Also, here is the ones I had coded before attempting to switch it to fix it (both of these worked when set as a skill but failed as a proc in the above buff.)
    Code:
    <spell name="Eldritch Lifesteal" type="target">
            <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/rockburst_rev/rockburst_rev" frames="9" sfx="blades" framerate="100"  centerEffect="0"/> 
            <effect type="drain" necromantic="3" necromanticF="0.65" sfx="blades" secondaryScale="2" sfx="fleshbore"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="Eldritch Refresh" type="self" icon="skills/placeholder32.png" smallicon="skills/placeholder32.png"  downtime="1">
            <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/manafount/manafont" framerate="100" frames="7" sfx="blades" />
            <description text="This better start filling your mana pool, or else you roomie will complain" />
            <effect type="spellpoints" amount="3" amountF="0.65" secondaryScale="2" />
      </spell>

19. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Only the last fooBuff gets used. If you want to use more than one, make a new spell that triggers the others as an intermediate layer inbetween.

20. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member