General Quality of Life Suggests

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by AmblingAlong, Aug 31, 2015.

1. AmblingAlong

AmblingAlong Member

TIONS. SUGGESTIONS. Why can't I edit titles. Sigh.

In rough order of importance within each category.

UI
    • Needs standardized mouse camera controls. For example, right mouse sometimes deselects and sometimes doesn't deselect, depending on what you're doing. It also centers the camera on the cursor. There are conventions most games of this genre use (and really most games with a top-down isometric view, including RTS', RPGs, etc) about camera controls, and it makes the game way less likely to immediately alienate new players if you more-or-less use them (even if you think you could make them more logical).
    • Edge scrolling
    • Tooltips shouldn't go off the edge of the screen if your mouse is too close to the edge, they should 'stick' to the side. This matters since the buildings/modules/military/etc. buttons are on the edge of the screen
    • Minimizing the game with alt+tab doesn't leave an icon on your taskbar (edit: it's there, it's just transparent)
    • The mouseover effect (white outline around the object) is bulky and can obscure the underlying object; I think it's because you're tracing the entire object, including single-pixel protrusions, with a double-pixel wide line (most noticeable on trees).
    Building
    • For the love of all that is good and (un)holy, please separate decorative and functional modules, or at least make it super clear when you rollover them what they do (with a tooltip). A new player could easily wonder if spice racks in the kitchen make food better, or just make the kitchen prettier; does a steam radiator make the house more comfortable and thus create more happiness, or does it just look nice? Especially coming from DF, where the quality of rooms has a significant gameplay effect, it's pretty confusing what items you need and what's just flavor.
    • No indication of where you're already dropped zones (i.e. flatten terrain).
    • Right clicking when you've already dropped one corner of a zone/blueprint doesn't cancel; you have to use escape, which quits you out of the entire menu.
    • Dragging multiple zones of one type (i.e. farms) requires you to re-select the zone type each time.
    • Way too much unusable land. More importantly, no easy way to tell why some land is unusable, or predict in advance whether you'll be able to expand somewhere. Flatten terrain helps but feels like a stopgap.
    • When you're dragging a zone, moving your mouse into any invalid areas stops you from dragging at all in any direction, not just into the invalid area (so if you're trying to drag the zone southwest, if you no longer can drag any further south, it won't let you drag it further west either)
    Characters and Work Crews
    • New work crew menu is a HUGE improvement. Thank you!
    • Rolling over any character portrait should tell you who that character is, whether the portrait is in a work crew, icon, notification, etc. Clicking on it should bring up that characters page.
    • All the little icons for moods, memories, conversations, etc. look great and are useful once you've played for a while, but really need the ability to rollover them to get textual explanation. I still don't know what some of the conversation icons mean and figuring it out is kinda key to avoiding emotional meltdowns

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    razrien and Samut like this.
  2. razrien

razrien Member

• Edge scrolling would be great
    • Alt-tabbing does seem a little finicky at times
    • Flattening terrain does seem a little... 'hand wavey' at the moment. I'd love for buildings to be able to sorta flatten it themselves (within reason) when they plop down.
    • I kinda like how purposefully vague some of the little emotions/feelings/conversations are. It lets you use your imagination
    I still remember the little conversation about hats a couple of my colonists were having, till another colonist came up to them angrily and started shouting something about communism until everyone got mad and depressed and stomped away
    I laughed and snorted my coffee

3. Hallucigenia

Hallucigenia Member

I still don't know whether half these things are purely decorative or not. Conventions vary so wildly in this sort of game (DF: very nearly everything matters and your dwarves will riot if there aren't enough chairs! Gnomoria: hardly anything matters and your gnomes don't use any of the furniture except beds!) that I'm kinda lost.