Gaslamp Games gonna be active on Steam forums?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Honorable_D, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

We will have a presence there. I will personally be there to keep an eye on them and answer concerns.
    It is harder to have useful discussion in that format than it is on more compartimentalized forums or places where you can post information and reach everyone, though, which is what Citizen was talking about, and that we might not be able to respond to everyone when there will be way more posts than there is right now.

2. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

We will not be ignoring steam's forums.

We will be allocating all the time we can to communicate with people, as long as we have time to actually work on the game too.

My point was simply that at a certain point, we can't answer everyone all of the time, and we'll do everything we can to make sure that we use each hour or minute we have to communicate with as many people as we can effectively. We're not sure what the best way of doing that is yet, because it's different for every community and certainly changes as the ratio of users to developers changes. We will try some stuff, and some things we try will work better than others, and we'll learn, and we'll improve.

Communication is really important to us, and it's really important to players, especially in Early Access. We will be constantly trying to figure out how to most effectively reach as many people as possible. Any less and we wouldn't be doing our due diligence, and I honestly don't know how we could possibly do more.

3. Honorable_D

Honorable_D Member

You probably already know this but if not please realize that you can create as many sub forums as you like on the Steam Community - one for Bugs, Suggestions, Q & A...

Just look at how Folk Tale, a game similar to Clockwork Empires, manages theirs like a pro: http://steamcommunity.com/app/224440/discussions/

Bamwich likes this.
  4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

For those following saves at home, they're working - modulo a few little teething issues:

shot039.png

Tleno likes this.
  5. Wolg

Wolg Member

(...the more I look at it, the more that mining designation tag looks a bit like a player's directive to the lady colonist regarding where on her fellow colonist she is meant to jam her pickaxe.)

6. Akuma

Akuma Member

Yeah, looks like a feature to me. Hallucinations of the murder act and all.

7. Poklamez

Poklamez Member

I'm pretty sure there are enough people supporting Gaslamp Games that answering questions or redirecting people to official statements and these forums will largely be done by the community, although having a developer weigh in every once in a while makes that a whole lot easier.
    I also strongly suggest either posting the Clockwork Empires Alpha Quickstart Starvation Avoidance Guide™ as an announcement on the steam forums or actually putting it into the game, that should help avoid a lot of potential headaches during launch.

8. Tleno

Tleno Member

Oh yes, that should be made a sticky just like it is on forums! Damn useful guide with the lack of tutorial in current state!

9. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(I updated it for the latest version! It will be attached to the Steam store as a PDF download. I should also update the version posted here, shouldn't I ... )

DrSleepless likes this.
  10. Tleno

Tleno Member

Dunno if that many people give a dodo about that pdf in store, seeing as many games don't have pdfs, and even some Valve games like Team Fortress 2 have novelty pdfs instead many people ignore or aren't even aware of the pdf manual feature.

11. Niknud

Niknud Member

just put a sticky thread on the steam forums that has the info about things like the pdf.

Tleno likes this.