Formula of damage

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by iamcreasy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

Assumption One ::
    Assuming 14 types of damages are only associated with the secondary stats, how can we relate these two?

i.e. :life: Life point = :burliness: Burliness + :caddishness: Caddishness + 5

What's the formula of :dmg_slashing: Slashing damage or :dmg_piercing: Piercing damage etc etc damage.

Assumption Two ::
    Damages and resistances has no direct relation with any primary and seconday stats at all. Some weapons has some modifiers associated with it, that affects only the secondary stats?

Which one of this assumptions is correct? Some guideline would help.

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

From memory, damages are just the sum of what your skills and gear give you explicitly, with no stats involved. (Edit: unless, perhaps, you have a combat skill that scales against a stat.)

The exception here is throwing and melee; these add your melee power secondary stat to the largest mundane damage type you deal (crush/slash/pierce, with crush as the default). Melee power is something like (burliness - 5) / 3.

This can mean that with no combat skills and no weapons or other damage granting gear, if your melee power is 0 you do no damage at all with your boot...

iamcreasy and Kazeto like this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Pretty much what Wolg said - it is only gear and skills, with one of the "physical" damage types (either slashing, piercing, or crushing, depending on which one you have; if you have none from neither skills nor gear, it is crushing) getting a bonus from melee power.

4. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

By throwing and melee, do you mean throwing and melee skills?

[​IMG]

Do you mean the :dmg_piercing: bonus I get from taking Unarmed combat skill? (pointed in the image)

I didn't find throwing skill that grants damages.

5. Wolg

Wolg Member

No, thrown and melee *attacks* (I.e. not spells or crossbow bolts). The bonus I refer to appears under the "melee" section of the character sheet, the +xx entry in white at the right hand side that doesn't have a damage type icon (and should match your melee power rating exactly).

What you've pointed to is what I mean by a skill granting bonus damage (in the same way that gear does); the sword, mace, etc skills do the same sort of thing, bugs aside, when you have the right kind of weapon equipped. The thrown weaponry skill should also grant bonus damage on thrown attacks (I don't remember which levels do, but the Peltast one might, just off the top of my head).

Edit: tangentially related is how the skill archetypes tie in; Smithing has value for melee characters because each level in it grants +3 burliness, 2 because it's a warrior skill, 1 from the bonus stat the skill grants. Due to how melee power is calculated, this means each level in Smithing gives a +1 to melee damage, rather than every second level as with other warrior skills.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

ah...now I get what your saying!