Elona

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by sONoFhAPPYbUNNY, Feb 10, 2012.

1. This is another roguelike I have put a ton of hours into, and I would love to have a discussion about it. There are so many things about this game that I love. All the races and classes to pick from, all the different builds you can do, guilds, open world exploration, enchanted and cursed items, artifacts, the way the magic and stats are set up... I could really go on and on about all the things I like in this game.

It's more of an open RPG with roguelike elements, but it's still a very fun game, and I wish there was more content for it. It has the set up for what I believe to be the ideal RPG experience, and I wish there were more games like it.

Did anyone ever level up a character past 20? Right now my strongest character is a level 16 claymore with 30 ranks into preforming (I did an insane amount of grinding to get it that high.)

2. blob

blob Member

My only character is like 13 maybe ? Havent played in a year but I really want to get back into it. The game is long and lots of stuff to visit. The universe is unique and awesome. I love how you can tame ennemies like pokemons, how you feel like you re always progressing, etc... lots of new and very interesting game mechanics mixed with what's a pure roguelike at core. My favorite roguelike with Nethack and Ivan.

The big thing I dislike is how the monsters get stronger by scaling to your experience level. However you could have a high XP and low equipment, or low stats if you die too much ( each time you die, you respawn weaker) so... it can potentially happen that your save is kinda screwed with you encountering monsters too powerfull for you while you cant handle them anymore.

Otherwise I love it, and love how you can go do some other stuff if you dont feel like doing a dungeon.
    Its also great that you can quite customize your appearance. Had a lot of fun with that. Another HUGE aspect of the game is fusioning your companions together, getting them to get extra legs and body parts in the process. Its just hilarious to create the perfect pet.

3. I actually haven't played with gene engineering very much. A lot of my focus right now has been on obtaining skills and learning magic. Right now my claymore has a good 70% of all the skills. I've been through the fighters guild, then switched over to the thieves guild, and now I'm working my way into the mages build. I'm making sure to get all the skills you can only learn in those guilds. I managed to get enough piety with the earth god that he gave me a pretty decent companion. Having her hold a scythe helps me take down stronger enemies because of the scythe's instant kill chance.

4. blob

blob Member

I ve had a lot of companions. I always name them after a dance style. Polka the little girl and Disco the horse have been of great help since the beginning. Disco is pretty egoistical though and jumps on any pack of gold we find, going for intensive training in town whenever we go home. He's a good horse. I like them so much I married them both.

Man this game is so awesome, I have to play it this week end.

Its a bit annoying how you cant be in two guilds at the same time. I m doing the fighter's one right now.

5. It makes sense to me though, and honestly the mages guild is the best one to be in. Spellbooks can be really hard to come by but you can just buy them there. I usually just roll default names on roguelikes unless I'm really attached to a character. I haven't played in a while but I might get back into it. I always wanted to try to get my character up to level 80, but that seems like it'll take a LONG time.

6. blob

blob Member

Haha. hah. Yeaaaah...
    I ve always wondered if one day i d able to take on those dungeons level 127.
    Man, now that i think of it too, my character might actually be more like lvl 23. Bad bad memory.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I had a level... 35 I think at some point. Love the game but it's too grindy after a while. It does get fun when you can slaughter the bands of thieves and get free artifacts though.

8. I'm already able to do that at level 16. My Claymore is one hell of a tank.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Mhm, I had a level 41 character when I stopped playing it.
    And (if I recall correctly) it was a pianist trained for ranged attacks.

But yeah, the game is good but grindy later, and it's a shame that it kind of got abandoned by the original creator. I hope it'll get an update someday.

10. blob

blob Member

This was isnt open source right ? It d be a good game to add mods for, adding new towns or specific dungeons on the map...

11. I'd love to see more dungeons, more weapons, more monsters, more side quests and just more content in general.

12. blob

blob Member

How far are you in the story ? I remember I had just finished the tower of fire.

13. Not very. I'm still in the first quest dungeon. Been mostly trying to get into guilds and learn magic

14. blob

blob Member

Try to see if you have the strength to continue the story, you can get some powerful artefacts.
    If you can take on thieves you're probably strong enough. I cant always take them on.

15. I'll try doing that. I'm sure I could have sooner but like I said, I was just focused on that other stuff.

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think it is open source now, or something like that. But they don't really have enough time to take over and update it.

You'd have to check the Elona forum to find out more, the last time I checked was about two or three weeks ago.

17. blob

blob Member

You're right ! There's a mod thread on the forum ! However it seems the mod are developped by the japanese fans of the jap version of the game and havent been translated yet : (
    Some of those mods look really awesome though with scavenging item in dungeon quests, changing pet AI or adding the 7 dragon balls and a dragon ball radar to the game.

edit: there is also a large project to continue the game on US side ( original author has officially abandonned the developpement).

18. blob

blob Member

If you guy play at the same time I wonder if I could receive messages of your death or events ? :)
    If you play soon, my character's name is Foul comet from Hell.

19. jadkni

jadkni Member

Uhm... I tried this game ages ago and never got a character past level 5. I was playing it wrong or something, it just felt like an endless death loop regardless of build to me.

20. blob

blob Member

I first made a character randomly because I wanted to play quickly. My character was crap and by level 9 he had died way too much making him really weak. I then restarted a fresh character following some advice ( dont remember if it was in game advices or from the forum ) and went for a juere warmage. I remember claymores are also recommended.

One thing is sure, do not make a snail.