Dunno if this counts as 'politics'; I think it's more 'economics' but...

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Essence, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

This isn't a new idea because I remember discussing it in a college economics class in the early 1980s. It makes sense. The general concept is that a person can better decide what he needs to spend money on than the state can, so you give money instead of food stamps, and housing and so on. It's also more efficient for a variety of reasons.

Unfortunately, there's a psychological reason why there is resistance to this sort of thing. People are more apt to agree to give food stamps and create homeless shelters than they are to give money, even though it could cost less in the long run to give money. Think of a hypothetical situation where I work for the government and I have a million dollars that I can distribute as I wish to those who are in need, but I cannot give the money away in secret. If I give away the money, anyone who is not receiving money sees it as unfair and unequal treatment (which it is) even if the people are in need. It's been shown that people resist that specific kind of unequal treatment, and see it as unfair. However, if instead of giving away money, I give away food and clothing, and create a homeless shelter it's seen more as charity. The people receiving those benefits are less in control, and consequently may actually be worse off than they would be if they had just received the money directly. But that kind of giving does not create the same kind of backlash because it's 'charity'. It's actually totally irrational, yet it also seems to be how many people think.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Aegho

Aegho Member

Here in Sweden, wellfare is given in direct money, but we've had a right wing government for about 7 years now so we've seen a definite shift towards 'workfare'(requirement to actively be seeking jobs, attend weekly meetings, etc).

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There are actually certain programs in the U.S. where money is given as well (Welfare, Social Security Disability, unemployment, etc.). Because of how the programs vary by state and city, and varying requirements makes navigating the system incredibly complex (which is why sometimes you need a lawyer to help, which fortunately you can also get help from for free). Having dealt with, for example, Medicaid for a family member, I know that the requirements vary depending on whether the person applied in New York or New Jersey, which seems absurd because it's supposed to be a federal program. Anyway, my point is that you can get money and other kinds of assistance but it gets complicated, and it varies by where within the U.S. you live, whether someone in your family is a veteran, the specific problems that the person has (for example, my dad received money because he became legally blind). There's lots of programs through the Veterans Administration for vets and families of vets. In any case, yes, some people can get money. But you may or may not have access to each specific program.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, but it's definitely politics and I don't want to close some threads and leave others open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.