'Drink More Booze'

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by IanExMachina, Oct 4, 2011.

1. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

So what is everyone's verdant poison?

I'm an ale man primarily although I really enjoy some nice real ciders and perries.
    My favourite of all though is Rauchbier, a german malty smoky tasting amazing beer that in the UK is quite hard to get a hold of unless you know of some Pubs that import it. (Or I could import myself I guess.)

2. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I love being a snob about booze. Maybe this is obvious from the references throughout Dredmor.

For beer, we're lucky enough to have some very good craft beers in the Vancouver area. A pub called St. Augustine's brews it's own and the house lager is amazing, but aside from that I'm a fan of Phoenix Gold Lager from Phillip's and Hermann's Dark Lager from Vancouver Island Brewery. Seems like I have a thing for lagers, but I also absolutely love strong Belgian beers, particularly Gulden Draak.

As for other things, I'm a fan of Hendrick's and Juniper Green gin - yes, in the classic martini form or otherwise, vodkas like Russian Standard or Luksusowa, any good bourbon (or even JD, 'cause I'm a yank) - straight, old fashioned, whiskey sours, however - just about any scotch, and so on. Going through a good bottle of Remy Martin cognac that a friend bought for me to congratulate me on the completion of Dredmor, 'cause I'm a gangsta like that.

I'll have to try this Rauchbier what with respecting my heritage and all that. German beers are almost always good, just not much selection out here.

... I'm not an alcoholic, I swear.

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I don't drink that often due to medication I'm on (I hear it's supposed to be a very bad idea).

That said, I do like wine and beer. I grew up in a family that regularly drank wine with dinner -- even as a pre-teen, I'd get a half-glass of wine, or more if it was a family gathering. That was my family, though. Growing up, I didn't even realize that that was unusual. Generally it was relatively inexpensive wine, but every now and again, my dad would get a nice gift from a client, like a case of very expensive French Champagne (he was an attorney).

I didn't get a taste for beer until much later (not even in college). Now I'm trying to educate myself about beers, trying new things. I recently joined a beer of the month club, but I don't drink enough to do it monthly so I get it every other month. -- I get 4 different craft beers every other month, some of which are really interesting, and some of which are not. Oh and I also like Guinness.

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sheridan's. It's basically Kahlua and a really nice light vanilla liqueur bottled together for easy blending. I don't alcohol, but I tried Sheridan's one time on a cruise ship and got totally addicted.

5. Chiko

Chiko Member

I used to drink a lot when I was in university and when I went to the States. Rum is what I like most but I have no problem drinking something else. Drinking makes me sick now... I guess my liver can't take it anymore. :p

6. TheRani

TheRani Member

I can't currently drink alcohol because my arthritis medicine doesn't play nicely with it, but my booze of choice is mixed drinks containing rum.

7. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Pina Colada Fridays happened at the office awhile ago, and that was pretty good. This is also when we christened the Office Blender, giving it the name "Doctor Loud."

At home, I've been slowly working away at a bottle of Victoria Gin, a locally made, small-batch artisanal gin that is nothing short of amazing. Forget everything you thought you knew about gin, folks, this is where it's at. A house-guest also left me with a bottle of quarter cask Laphroaig, which is good, but I've been moving steadily away from peatier scotches. I also have yet to bring in the company bourbon, which has a picture of an American president on the bottle. I can't remember who it is, and I haven't tried the stuff. I'm just hoping it's not Nixon or Carter.

And then... there is the Cabinet of Doom.

For the past several years, I have hosted an event best referred to as the post-Christmas, pre-New Years' drinking event. Various nibbles, pates, smoked salmon, and things are served, and guests are required to bring a bottle of alcohol to share with the group. The alcohol must be of their choice, but it must be... interesting and edifying. We have had everything from Chinese Pea Vodka (courtesy of Citizen Daniel) to Gul Draak beer (courtesy of David) to Arak Fatra, the national liquor of Lebanon (courtesy of myself), vodka mixed in a teapot, blue curacao, the Crystal Skull vodka, avocado flavoured vodka, and something that tasted mildly like a fruitcake and which was served out of a bottle shaped eerily like a testicle.

I haven't done this in recent years, mainly because of Dredmor and also because my apartment is just too small to contain the party. Last year I had about 45 people showing up, all with weird booze, and it was amazing. The recent sighting of a bottle of smoked salmon flavoured vodka, though, has left me planning for the future.

Godwin likes this.
  8. Godwin

Godwin Member

Haha awesome.

Booze I like:

Beers: Geuze Mariage Parfait, Blanche d'Ardenne, Gouden Carolus among other things (Yeah I am from the beer country :D)

Cider: Magner's Irish cider is good.

Wines: Muscat de St.-Jean-de-Minervois, Mead (for example the Honey-Ginger wine by Ambrosia, but selfmade mead is best)

Liquors: D.O.M. Benedictine, especially with hot, black coffee (Costa Rica blend)

Whiskey: Lagavulin is my alltime favourite. Lover of the Islay whiskeys tout court, but also like Belgian Owl and Frysk Hynder for example.

Vodka: Best I ever had was a local Polish vodka, Krakovia (bought in Krakow).

Mix: I really like a well-mixed long island ice tea (not well mixed it sucks... and it's hard to find people who can mix it correctly even in 'professional' bars)
    Also orange juice plus blue curacao is good (and was actually the first alcoholicky thing I drank rather large amounts of), and Ice tea plus bacardi lemon.

9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I just tried and really like Asahi Extra Dry beer. I hate beer, but damn, Asahi is good.

10. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yeah Asahi is kinda good yes. I like Iki beer too. In fact, there are quite some really nice Asian beers. Hummm that reminds me: banana and coconut beer (from Ethiopia, although it's produced elsewhere iirc) is pretty good too! ... In fact... there way too much to mention that's good :p

11. GrossorMD

GrossorMD Member

Not much of a drinker. I favor red wine with meat, and beer or cider when I'm out. I used to enjoy gin tonics, but got tired of going into bars and getting lousy ones. I also enjoyed shots of whiskey when doing an after-hours in someone's flat, but it has been a long while since I did that

k0rd likes this.
  12. k0rd

k0rd Member

I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but I believe that this might be exactly why I don't like G&T anymore as well!

13. Jatopian

Jatopian Member

My enjoyment of alcohol is stymied by the, uh, alcohol itself - it's rather untasty. My family thus sometimes tries to find something I'll drink with them, even though I'm perfectly fine with teetotaling. Everything being served at a party I am encouraged to taste. I think they pity me.

We've discovered I can enjoy not-dry champagne, optionally mixed with orange juice or lemonade, and amaretto sours on the sweet side. We've yet to discover something I like that is cheap, though. Makes me feel bad sometimes until I remember I wasn't the one who wanted to get me boozed up.

14. blob

blob Member

I was the same until I was 23.
    Still can't stand beer or wine though. Only fruity or highly flavory cocktails.
    Big time favorite is Benedictine.

French monks rocks.

15. Loren

Loren Member

I'm not too picky. I enjoy most red wines. I like a darker stout or lager. My poison of choice would be either Guiness, Wild Blue, or Irish cream with coffee.

16. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

Love most witbiers and American analogues, and have become fascinated lately with pumpkin ales.

17. Canoness

Canoness Member

Its all about the potato juice.