Dredmor Patch 1.0.11 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Sorry for the mangling of your name. :)
    You do have a point though.

However, in roguelikes, the main thing is not that they're hard, but that it's supposed to be when you die, it's because it's your fault. :)
    If issues in a game crop up, and you die from them, the game creator goofed. :)

Roguelikes do not get a pass on difficulty balancing. :p
    Even Omega.

I don't think the damage is balanced because to my knowledge, his attacks on EE and DM would do nearly the same.

This is not Amnesia: The Dark Descent. :) There should be no terror.

2. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Well, I don't think the devs goofed here. If Dred kills you, it is your fault... also Dredmor's. Have to give the guy some credit. Chalk it up to a difference of opinion.

Terror might have been a strong word. "Threatened" might be a better word for that sentence.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, Threatened works.
    I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything. :)

If the Devs say he's supposed to do that much damage, even on EE, that's fine. I'll just make sure to always keep Antimagic arrows on my side. :)

4. Catbread

Catbread Member

Here's how I play the expansion.

Step 1: Install any mods that look interesting. (At least twelve, by now.)
    Step 2: Turn them all on at once.
    Step 3: Normal mode, permadeath.
    Step 4: Random skills.

So far, it's been vastly entertaining, even if I haven't made it very far just yet. Once, I got three kinds of dragon breath in a single build.
    Basically, as long as my saves aren't corrupted, everything's cool. I've been lucky so far!

But I don't know which effects originate from which mods, sometimes. That means I don't know who to thank for all the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon references. Yoom-tah!

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Those are from Roguish Renovations. And now that you know, you can go and thank lccorp2.

OmniNegro and Catbread like this.
  6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Ages old unintended effect making skills worse: Unholy Warcry damages and fears all enemies in an aoe. When an enemy takes damage all nearby feared enemies turn to fight. The result is that exactly one enemy is feared. Ideally the logic that makes the fear dissapear should be removed, because the damage is actually useful.

Or removing the damage could be the easy way to fix it but that makes it less useful anyway.

When enemies have armor the damage isn't dealt because it's just 5 blasting so it may work better on stronger enemies ironically.

7. Shardz

Shardz Member

I just purchased the DoD bundle on Desura thinking I was being clever in avoiding Steam, but I can see that Desura users are getting the shaft with the v1.011 patch and I didn't realize this before purchasing. The only reason why I have an account on Desura is I was suckered into buying another game in the past away from GamersGate, which I invariably regret since day one.

So...what's it gonna be, Gaslamp? Is the rest of the community going to be rewarded with current software status, or just the Steam Sweethearts? I'm starting to get buyer's remorse already with the Valve patronage.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, the best way to go about this, Vlad, :), is not to be rude sounding.
    I know you probably didn't mean to be, but you do come across as slightly rude.
    However, since YHTNTEP is a free content, you can download it from a torrent, one that Omninegro set up.

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7349794/Dungeons_of_Dredmor_Free_DLC_YHTNTEP
    Hopefully that works. That's the 1.0.11 patch for you.
    Also, there really isn't anything bad about Steam, at least now, compared to it's glitchiness in the old days.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sorry David, but the torrent contains only the expansion itself. It still requires 1.0.11 to work. Thos still stuck with 1.0.10 cannot use it at all.

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Dungeons of Dredmor has been available to Desura since nearly the start. We always push patches and update to it. This has been something like the fourth patch we pushed to Desura. Yes, there are usually some delays. As far as I understand the update process isn't as painless as Steam's.
    Same for Humble Bundle version holders.
    Desura buyers will get the update.

edit: the link above won't work until you have the 1.0.11 version. Then it will.

11. Poke Desura with mildly pointy sticks!

They can use it though they will miss out on some features.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure it causes the game to crash.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah. Everyone I heard from reported a crash on start with it asking about some files that do not exist in 1.0.10.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

OH. Okay. Sorry. :( I didn't know.

15. Oh you are right I seem to always remember things partially.
    Now to correct myself:
    You can play it by downloading the linux 1.11 version from Desura copying the unpacked files over your Dredmor install and then you will be missing out on some features as your .exe isn't updated (and you will have 3 superfluous linux files in your folder).

16. Shardz

Shardz Member

The real problem exists in the growing phenomenon that non-Steam users are second class customers. Valve is chucking the game industry in the toilet and this is simply the typical retribution one must endure to avoid their service. They categorically split the industry in half so that either you are a Steam user or you aren't; there is no in between. With their strict contractual stipulations and technical hodge-podgery, they ensure that they get the sweetest deal; while everyone else is out in the cold. These non-existing patches we should be enjoying and the Steam-exclusive free addon and mods are prime example of what I'm talking about.

It's like one day the entire industry just woke up and got on a starship and left for the Death Star to lead a new life. A better life. One which is dictated by some ass in a black helmet. Come on, people...

I've said this a million times and it deserves yet another turn;

The World Does Not Revolve Around steam.

First impressions mean quite a bit in this business, and I must say that coming into this project as a consumer, I am left feeling underwhelmed with the experience in general. It's almost like we just simply don't matter. And I should have thought this out before hitting that damned PayPal button in the midst of this WonderSale where everyone gets a GREAT deal...even if it takes some weeks to catch up.

Holy !*@^ guys.

17. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Shardz, if you want to bitch about Steam make a different thread to do it. This one is for bug reports, balance and general impressions about the patch. In fact, I'd like to move that Daynab breaks these posts out of this thread and into their own, using his mad moderator powers. There's probably great feedback value for GLG in the firestorm that seems to be brewing here, but I'd rather not see it mucking up a perfectly good thread on a different topic.

18. @Shardz

I think you are shaking your fist at the wrong target as it's Desura to blame not GLG.

19. Shardz

Shardz Member

How does one know where to shake the fist when all the other customers have been simply getting, "We're working on it".

Desura has the ability for a forum, news tidbits, update spotlights, et the like. I look on the DoD Desura landing page:

Last Update 6 Months

No version number, no news, no status updates, nothing. Does that sound reasonable to you? GLG has the ability to update that page and customize it even more than their beloved Steam page. So, why not do it. And put the current patch up there, as well? Perhaps something more than "the check's in the mail" would suffice. I know it's only $8, but I'm tired of engaging combat trying to get Valve-Swooned developers to fork out current versions for software that I just bought the license for ultimately.

You do not know it is Desura to blame because nobody has any information regarding any scenario at this point.

20. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Daynab in a post up above talked about it. While I don't think he is an official member of GLGs, I do think they tell him a lot about what is happening as he moderates the irc chat room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.