Dredmor 1.0.10 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael88

Michael88 Member

Hi guys. I have screen tearing issue as of this patch, It hurts my eyes and I can't play dod. I checked old totalbiscuit video of "wtf is dungeons of dredmor" (thank you tb) to check if his game was doing so too. His game was completely smooth, and I noticed that "shadow fog" was different back than so I am thinking that the new shadow engine might be responsible. Can I somehow turn off shadows to confirm this?

Any ideas on how can I fix it? I own ati radeon hd 3850 and Samsung sync master 940bf on 75HZ.(If there are support forums, Sorry I couldn't find them)

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Have you recently updated your GPU drivers? In the Radeon "Catalyst Control Panel there is a V-Sync setting that you should probably set to "On, Except when the application specifies".

3. Michael88

Michael88 Member

Yup, lates. Ought to mention that too, >__< , and It only happens with this game. I tried tinkering in ccp, doesn't help.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Alright. Does your monitor work alright at any other refresh rate than 75? For instance, can you try 60 and see if the problem persists? (No, I am not suggesting that as a fix, but if it resolves the problem then we know the refresh rate is the issue and can focus on that to solve it.)

Note that I have not looked the monitor up. If it is a CRT, then changing the refresh rate to an unsupported one can damage it. But LCD panels are immune to that sort of damage. You can safely try any frequency and see if it is better or worse.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Beyond what he said about the refresh rate, have you tried different resolutions? It definitely sounds like some kind of screen issue.

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

The only Roguelike that has anything close to an instant kill trap is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, with the zot traps that can cast you into the abyss. That's as close as a Roguelike gets to instant-kill traps.
    Do you know of a Roguelike that does instant-kill you via traps? Maybe Nethack. Sounds like something Nethack would do. :) Even the Traps in ADOM don't kill you unless you're really low level.

I think the problem people have with what I say is because people think I want the game to be super-easy. I don't. I just want it balanced. There is a huge difference.
    After all, balance is a good thing, is it not?
    I've never heard of a unbalanced Roguelike. That would be the antithesis of what a Roguelike is. Even a really hard one will still be balanced.
    So, yes, Elvish Easy and Dwarvish Moderation are mostly balanced. Going Rogue has yet to be balanced from what I've observed of people talking about it.
    When they are all balanced, then this game would be perfect, and no one would want to stab me in the face. :)

Also, making Acid resistance more common wouldn't make all the other resistances go away...you just have to add more items with it, or add it to more items. I think. I could be wrong.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

First of all, no-one wants to stab you in the face. You have more tender parts to stab... (I am kidding. I promise I do not wish you any harm.)

I have lost a plethora of characters in Furyband, Chengband, Nethack, and even more than I can count in TomeNET. All to traps in this case. They were not always a fully leveled and uber-equipped character, but the point is that traps are supposed to be nearly lethal if not always lethal.

Drop down to level 50 or deeper in Angband. (The most vanilla *Band game ever) and the traps will pretty much always kill you if they are triggered. Even if you scrape by with a few health, the trap going off alerts nearby monsters that will gladly take their cue to make you reroll.

Dungeon Crawl was pretty bad with traps. But here in DoD we have a major advantage: We can ALWAYS see the traps before we step on them. And stepping on them does not guarantee they will go off. With ~100:sneakiness: most traps can be walked over without a problem. But even with over 200:sneakiness: they can still go off. Traps are designed to kill you. They serve no other purpose than to kill you and anything else dumb enough to walk on them.

Would you really rather every time a monster walks on a trap and sets it off that they get a tiny paper-cut and are now alerted to your presence and actively hunting you? I would much rather they be killed outright so you need not worry about them. I can avoid traps if I am careful. So can anyone else.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Never had problems with traps. :eek:
    And Dungeon Crawl's traps will never instant kill your character except early game. From what I heard. The last time I played it was in 1993. :)

Traps should be things to keep you on your toes, yes, and can help you get killed if you're not lucky, but lethal death traps, no.

As I've said, I want the game balanced, not super-easy to the point that Steven Hawking would laugh at you if you couldn't beat it and then he would tell you to fear his "1337 Dungeons of Dredmor skills" :)
    And no one has yet to convince me that Going Rogue is balanced. Elvish and Dwarven are balanced.
    As I've stated above, there's a difference between making it easy, and making it balanced.

I know I can be a bit more irritating that fungal infections, but it's not like I do it on purpose.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

DavidB1111 and I have been chatting about this and I need to clarify that most of my deaths to traps were not entirely the traps doing. Usually I was somewhere around 50% health and fleeing something that could kill me. And usually my reserves of consumables were running low too. The traps are much more potent than any I have seen here, but not as bad as I suggested above.

I still think the traps should not be nerfed, but each is free to hold a different opinion from mine until I am acknowledged as ruler of the Universe... :) I would however suggest that traps be significantly weakened if teleporting onto them via any means set them off. That would really be game breaking.

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

And I want to clarify that I don't mean to be as annoying as surprise audits by the IRS. :) Please don't kill me, Daynab.
    I'll go back to playing Dungeons of Dredmor, and not making people here facepalm at my posts. :)

11. Michael88

Michael88 Member

It can only show 60, and 75. on 60 it's far worse [LCD]. I miss my old CRT monitor, he was the best :/

I only tryed 1024x768 wndowed, and 1152x864 windowed. any more or less doasen't feel right for me.

PS: fulscreen game is ultra choppy. Game probubly needs v-sync or triple buffering inside it's options:/

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If it's the only game you have that does this, I'd try to reinstall I guess.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Odd as it sounds, disable both sound and music and see if it persists. As far as I know, there is no v-sync issue for anyone else. So something is wrong there and we need to narrow the search down as much as possible.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Agh! Hungry diggles are still stealing a ton more food than the should, and on a dodge too.
    Please remove them. Because, yes, they're still stealing 6 food when they should steal a max of 3, and yes, even on a dodge.
    It was a named Hungry Diggle from a quest on floor 6, but I don't think that magically makes them even more annoying. :)
    I'll be editing their stupid ability out again in a few minutes.

So, please, fix them, or remove them, or make it so they only steal one food item a time, or make it so if you kill them extremely fast, they drop the item they steal.
    I don't see why I have to pick alchemy and make 100 healing potions, just because they ruin my food supplies so fast. Seriously, Six Smoking Cheese things. The ones that heal 16 damage. Bit harsh, guys.

Okay, what the heck? A magic Dragon corrupted me when I dodged their attack! That's not supposed to happen, right? What's going on here?

15. 'pedia shows a 20% on hit corrupt for magic dragons. Dunno if that's intended or not, but it is there.

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yeah, but I dodged their attack. They shouldn't be able to corrupt on a dodge.
    That's like having Kleptoblobbies steal on you from a dodge, and they fixed that bug. :)
    Even Magic golems have never triggered a corruption on a dodge.

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Actually they have. I have had it in one of the 1.09 RCs. I may have also had that on a 1.0.10 character.

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Okay. I guess they still haven't fixed all the bugs in this game related to monsters. :)

19. Yeah. I definitely saw corrupt-on-dodge a few times over the course of my demon/melee build. :(

20. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yeah. Not to mention Hungry diggles always stealing food on a dodge, at least for me, and always stealing a ton of food each time.
    It's supposed to be up 3, but one stole 6 from me. :(
    They need to be fixed ASAP. Or removed until they get fixed.

It kind of makes Melee even more harder to pull off. I mean, I've lost more food to Hungry Diggles and their bugginess, than I have in entire runs combined!
    That's not a good sign.

They are bugged, and they need to be removed, even if I remove them on my end, it doesn't solve the end problem, which is
    It doesn't really make sense that one enemy can be so dangerous and no one seems to complain but me. :(
    Does anyone else fight them at all? Or does everyone play with Alchemy and only carry potions of healing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.