Doom, the Roguelike

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by onesandzeroes, Mar 3, 2012.

1. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

I had a quick look at this a few months ago, back when it was ASCII only, and couldn't get into it. They've now added graphics(!), and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Not the deepest roguelike, possibly, but there's some complexities to the combat system where if you run around and sidestep in between shots, they're less likely to hit you. Emptying your pistol clips into demons as they charge towards you while 90s metal plays in the background is an experience not to be missed.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely more action paced. And while I've never been a horror fan the change in gameplay is pretty fun.

3. blob

blob Member

Is the recent version harder ?
    Original doom the roguelike used to be a walk in the park, which is kind of a shame considering its Doom.

I highly recommend it otherwise, it was quite fun and pro.

4. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

I've never been amazing at roguelikes, but so far it's been pretty challenging. On "Hurt me plenty!", which is the highest difficulty you can play without unlocking stuff, I haven't been able to get past the first world, and there's three worlds. I definitely wouldn't call it a walk in the park.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, the name says for itself. The game did hurt you plenty. :D

The key to getting through the game for the first time is unlocking a 3rd-tier trait (or "Master Trail", as they are now called). Any of them, actually, though Ammochain is recommended for the first try (for various reasons).

6. blob

blob Member

Cool. The game probably evolved a lot, I'll try it again : )

7. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Addictive stuff! Not tried the older ascii versions of it, kinda hating myself for that now, this is a fun roguelike esp. for an old doom junkie as me o/

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, depending on when you first played it.

Heck, when I played it for the first time, there weren't 3rd-tier traits. Now that was a challenge (nowadays I can't live without getting Ammochain [if I'm playing with the class that has it] and cutting through barons of hell on burst fire).

9. blob

blob Member

Possibly played something like a 0.4 version ? Cant remember well. Worth redoing it for sure !
    Man, I had forgotten this game was also partially made by Derek Yu. The man's everywhere.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

"It has graphics now."

It's just a shame that in 10 years or so kids won't get the above phrase.

11. blob

blob Member

Saw that. Graphics ' probably the part I care the less about :p
    Might probably just turn them off and have my favorite letters again.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, they don't do that much. Still, they are done in a style I like, so I might as well play with them now that they are here.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, I did beat it once. Back when the Cyberdemon was actually still the boss. .9.9.3.
    And not the Spider Mastermind.

Seems like every update they add, they make it harder or something. Stop that, it's silly! Yes, I'm referencing the Ministry of Silly Walks, not insulting it.
    I'll get into it again someday. Nice that they added graphics though. Even though, I did prefer the more traditional roguelike ASCII set.
    Although, I can understand why some people were like, "What's ASCII." :)

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I loved playing DoomRL. But it really is too hard. And it pushes you in a very unfriendly direction with the confusing levelup system they have. You should be able to plan out what your character will be by selecting the higher level perks at the beginning to highlight those needed for it and put a big bold X through those forbidden. (Especially for those that can only be taken at certain levels.)

If you have not played it, it is a good game, but the inventory is so awful that it makes DoD look like a cakewalk in later levels.

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It actually ain't that bad, especially now that you can check the prerequisites and precluding skills. Just check them on the master trait, then any other traits that happen to be required, and voilĂ .
    In the earlier versions it was, indeed, confusing, as one didn't see any master traits until he had all the prerequisite skills with none that forbade us from taking it, so it was really hard to find at least one master trait to take. But now it's pretty straightforward.

I do admit that it is hard, though. Especially once you get to hell (aargh, the Arch-Viles)

I think the inventory system there isn't that bad - average, compared to other roguelikes. Sure, you lose a lot of inventory space on ammo and reserve weapons, but that's part of the challenge. And hoarding stuff really isn't recommended most of the time (only in case of red [and blue/green early on] armours if you have neither a power-armoru nor a nanofibre one, perhaps one pair of the best boots if your luck is rotten when it comes to lava, one thermo bomb [and thus also 2 or 3 environmental packs] if you are going for the full ending, and health packs). If you don't use a lot of ammo (I love Ammochain for that, since that with the nuclear plasma rifle means I only carry ammo for BFG and rocket launcher [that is, if I get enough bulk packs to make a tactical one]) and have any permanent/regenerating armour, your inventory isn't even close to full most of the time.
    Then again, I do have to admit that, since you have just as much inventory space as you have in other roguelikes, but lose a lot of slots on ammo and reserve usables/armour pieces, it can be a nightmare if you don't know how to manage your inventory properly (and preferably get the backpack, it makes the game much more pleasant).

"ASCII is the only available resolution Dwarf Fortress runs in."

Sorry, couldn't resist...

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

A game that utilizes ASCII clearly has it's focus on gameplay rather than eye-candy. That is a very good thing in my never humble opinion. :)

Lorrelian, blob and Kazeto like this.
  17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And that is something I agree with wholeheartedly. Thank you for stating it openly.

18. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I, too, wish to join the Cult of Gameplay.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Here is an article I made a while back. I have nothing to do with the site it is hosted on however. OmniRoguelike is me. They did not want the Latin word for the color black on their site for some reason.
    http://geekmontage.com/texts/modern-games-verses-real-games/

I think everyone who likes my simple post above would equally like this article. Read it or not. Your call.

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

While I think you should try to correct the title of said article ("verses" is the word you used while you probably wanted to use the word "versus") if possible, I can say with no doubt that it's a good one and that I agree with it.

OmniNegro likes this.