Does anyone else feel like the default FPS is kind of slow?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SkyMuffin, Mar 22, 2012.

1. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

I don't think this is about lag, so much as it's about the default animation speed being a bit slower than it needs to be, and the faster animation speed instantly kicking you into hyperdrive. Once you've got pets and multiple monsters all taking their turns, each combat round can take quite a while.

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Oh. Well, I never really noticed the animation speed being slower at all. I thought if it did, it was because of lag of some kind.
    To me, it seems like it's fine at normal speed.
    I'm just confused, then, because how can it seem okay for me, and slow for other people? If that's not lag, what it is? I'm fat, but I'm not a black hole, so I don't think time/space is being affected by me. :)
    I'm not too well versed in computer stuff so I really am confused here. :(

I guess sometimes I don't like it when a bunch of monsters move towards me, and I have to wait for them to all animate to the next tile...is that what you all mean? Because I rarely am bothered by it.

3. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

It changes colours of stuff in ... two places, ever, in the UI if I remember correctly. It's just a couple very minor points that were pointed out via email by a fan at some point.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Them's Fighten Words in Physics. Even the smallest particle effects every other particle in the universe. And time too for that matter. It may never be measurable, but it is certain. Otherwise matter would cease to exist at all if it was small enough. (I know I am way off topic, but I have to react to this sort of thing. And yes, I know what you are saying is relative, and therefore true in the context you meant it. No hard feelings I hope.) :)

Thank you. I do not suppose you can tell me where to look to see the differences? I simply cannot tell a change. (My vision is not so good, but I thought colorblind mode would be something like higher contrasting colors replacing the shades that are currently in use in the UI.)

5. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I requested it, actually. It makes monster health bars and invisibility outlines into blue instead of red.

Also, on topic: gnome casting animation is another lag offender. I think if you just speed up the frame rate it should be okay. It's 12 frames at 100ms per frame, so a gnome zoo turns into a lot of hangtime when they start blinking and missileing you. Maybe set it at 150/f? Or cut out frames 01, 05, 07, and 11?

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. Glazed

Glazed Member

We're not talking about slower, just slow. As an illustration, some people may be perfectly comfortable watching turtles race each other. I'd think it was too slow. It's about personal preference regarding the overall game speed, not about the game being laggy or slowing down. It's about there being too many animations to show, and us not wanting to sit through them all.

When you summon 4 demons from Demonology, and there are multiple monsters that they are in combat with, you can't even move more than one square every few seconds, even if all you are doing is trying to run away. It simply takes a long time for the game to animate every monster performing an attack against the demons and the demons attacking the monsters. It's a lot of frames that need to be displayed before the game even lets you take one step. That can be frustrating.

Even with just one pet and a few monsters it can be slower than I'd like, but turning up the game speed one notch makes it way too fast. There's no middle ground, and that's what we're asking for. A new game speed between the normal setting and the +1 speed setting.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay. I understand now.
    I've noticed some slow animations as well. Especially with stupid wights/mummies/Pumpkinns with their spells. Too many of them + how slow the animation is, it's really annoying.
    not to mention the updating of animations isn't too good, Have 4 monsters surround you that do zero damage, and kill one, the remaining three hit, while the one you killed doesn't drop to the floor until after all 3 attack.