does anyone else feel like Bolt of Mass Destruction does mediocre damage?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SkyMuffin, Apr 13, 2012.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

every time i use it i am kind of disappointed :(

2. HowlingLotus

HowlingLotus Member

Given the name the bolt should fly into the air and drop on the targeted enemy with a Diggle riding on it all Dr. Strangelove style before annihilating everything around it.

I do agree it seems pretty weak in terms of raw damage. On the lower floors it might take out a few even when I get a clear shot between a few enemies into the centre of a crowd in a zoo.

3. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

I never use them tbh - always use spells or bombs instead because they are cheaper, better and last longer.

4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

bolt of mass destruction does significant damage if you consider the size of the aoe and the damage caused by the secondary flame field effects. they are rather rare and difficult to craft, but with the right skill combination alchemy/tinkering/wands or piracy/tinkering/wands, you can produce much more of them (about as many as you can find sulphur)

5. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

That said, I have been dying to find a way to use this animation.

diggle_dive.gif

6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

No comment.

FaxCelestis likes this.
  7. HowlingLotus

HowlingLotus Member

:eek:

DO WANT!

8. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Use it to spice up the werediggle tree. Remove The sickly diggle because, lets face it - its pretty bad, move the rest of the skills 1 level down and stomp a short range teleport in there somewhere with the werediggle digging its way around the map

9. FaxCelestis

Yeah, but I can't specify an animation to use for a teleport effect. Otherwise, I totally would.

10. FaxCelestis

You know, it sort of defeats the purpose of "no comment" if that's your only reply to something. :p Please, keep it up.

11. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Well that could replace the teleport animation that is in there now. It was supposed to be the teleport animation originally. It's likely that there was a snag that stopped it from being able to be used.

12. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I've always felt that the Bolt of Mass Destruction was more useful as a dungeon destroying tool than a monster destroying one. I mean it's right in the description right? "You are become death! Destroyer of dungeons!" I don't fire this thing at monster zoos. I fire it at walls that offend me. Particularly walls through the back of stores. I stole a clockwork bolt thrower on DL2 by doing this. Alternatively useful as an emergency escape plan.

I don't think it was the devs intention that it be a monster nuke. (Correct me if I'm wrong here) But the monster nuke already exists in the form of Squid Bolts. Whereas the Bolt of Mass Destruction is the only item that can destroy walls, making it a very useful and rare tool.

13. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

If you steal stuff, doesnt Brax kinda - you know. Kill you? And even if you escape, doesnt he kinda try again every time you find a shop - or did I miss something?

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Only Brax on the same floor, as far as I recall. So going for a little discount trip on floor you know you won't be returning to isn't that suicidal, and is almost easy if you have at least one movement skill, because trying to shoplift without any sort of teleport is pure idiocy.

15. Glazed

Glazed Member

I don't know if it's been fixed, but there was a bug where breaking through the back wall of a shop wouldn't register you as being in the shop. So you could steal stuff freely. I guess "entering the shop" is triggered by stepping on that one square just outside the entryway.

16. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Oh no, Brax was definitely ticked about me stealing, carpentry bill not withstanding. I didn't have any movement skills, but I did have a couple invisibility potions and there was a satanic pad nearby. The lack of a port is why I chose to use the bolt. Totally worth it by the way.

17. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Is that only for the level you stole on or does he attack you on every level once you stole once from any one level?

Also, what happens if you kill him? Can you just steal all the stuff in there or what?

18. Glazed

Glazed Member

If you make Brax angry he just becomes a monster. He's very strong, but weaker than some endgame monsters. You can definitely kill him.

I consider the rest as a spoiler, since the surprise is fun to some people. So, I'll post it to pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/JwbRqyJb

19. FaxCelestis

Just on the floor you stole from him on. And you can indeed take all of his stuff.

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Brax is pretty easy to kill. He only has 121 health and only deals 27 damage.The problem is...

Spoiler, totally don't look at this part is you don't want to be spoiled
    his collectors which spawn at a crazy rate. You are likely to have 5+ on the screen until you kill Brax. They have pretty low health at 51 but they can deal 35 damage each and have the ability to use corpse explode which with their magic power does 8 :dmg_blasting: 2:dmg_putrefying: 8:dmg_toxic:. If you got 30+ armor and some decent :resist_toxic: then you can just steal everything with ease.

OmniNegro and mining like this.