DoD Modding and Mod Installation Guide (Updated 6/5/2012)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Daynab, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Thanks for the guide! I got a new mod folder set up and working in game with a quick and dirty test skill tree added in. It works and I can select it and use any attached spells, but whenever I try to include any stat buffs on the tree they will show up on the skill selection menu but never show up on my character sheet. Is it just broken or am I doing something wrong?

2. Knallis

Knallis Member

Seems like everyone is having this problem. At this point I'm getting on it being broken for mods somehow, because if you copypasta an existing skillset and tell the game its a new skillset, it will not apply the passive stat buffs. That or I'm not very good at copypasting ;\

3. jaybud4

jaybud4 Member

Adding my own rooms.xml or text.xml haven't seemed to work so far. Can anybody else confirm/deny?

4. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

rooms.xml has not worked for me either. nor manTemplateDB, nor tweakDB.

5. BladedBlades

BladedBlades Member

Rather than write a new one, maybe make a copy of the main file, then mod the main file and use the backup main file if things go south.

6. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I can also confirm what jaybud4 and Null said re: rooms.xml. I created half a dozen new rooms (mostly quite simple, just distinctively shaped), set them to appear on the first several floors, and then played two floors of a dungeon with a new character and the mod loaded. None of my new rooms loaded.

Should we start a new thread listing mod-functionality that's bugged or locked? Putting this stuff here might make it slip under the radar, and I'd really like to see this stuff get fixed in the next update.

7. Knallis

Knallis Member

I think a catalogue of things we suspect are not working for mod support at all would be a great idea. At the very least it will save newbies like myself the time of debugging something that can't be fixed.

8. jaybud4

jaybud4 Member

Rooms and text both fixed for 1.0.9.

9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

TemplateDB, however, is still borked. :(

10. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

monDB.xml may or may not function. I know I haven't come across any of my monsters unless I've forced them to spawn.

11. Tropxe

Tropxe Member

I don't suppose there's any way to edit the player sprite is there? I don't mean like someone just mentioned in another thread (whereby equipment would change your appearance), I just mean the base sprite? I assume if it was possible it'd have to overwrite one of the existing ones (male or female) unless there's a way to make additional slots.

12. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

From my askings, the player select page isn't currently moddable, so just the two options at the moment...though you could overwrite one.

13. Siveria

Siveria Member

I'll never understand why people bother trying to play games on mac's they aren't meant for it, and tend to be horribly clunky with games compared to just using a windows pc.

Essence likes this.
  14. Austupaio

Austupaio Member

Hello, probably a novice question but I was going to attempt to make an item-adding mod when I noticed relatively few configurable options for the items xml.

I'd like to make a dagger, for example, with an equal chance to randomly spawn on the floor or in a chest as the vanilla items. Would it be this way by default?

15. VileDeacon

VileDeacon Member

Mostly because by the time one of us shells out the absurd price that apple asks for one of their machines, we aren't looking forward to handing over more money for ANOTHER computer. As both a mac/pc user, I understand how frustrating it is to try to game on a mac, but when you're $3,000 in the hole, you'll use whatever computer you have at your disposal.

16. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Well that and it's also fair to expect mac games to work on a mac :p

17. Siveria

Siveria Member

I don't know why apple just doesn't use the industry standart of windows, I mean your already massivly overpaying for hardware cuz of the name, its just like alienware, if you made your own pc with the same parts it'll cost you about 30-50% less or more. Mac games don't come out to often because its a pain in the ass to code stuff to work on it since its so assbackwards from windows standart, so alot of game devs just don't waste the money on support for mac's when its such a tiny TINY playerbase that might buy the game.

18. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Maybe a short FAQ on installing mods could help. I've seen different installation instructions for mods in thie forum, from "Place the zip file in your dungeons of dredmor mod folder. No need to extract it." to "Copy the [mod name] folder to the following location. if the mods folder does not exist, you must create it." and others, although usually there aren't any instructions.

Something standard for us tech dummies to do for what file format would be nice.

19. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Your anti-mac rant is really off-topic, and comes across as rather trollish and a tiny bit insulting. We're here to discuss modding Dredmor, not to debate why you don't like specific brands of computers. Please desist.

rb10c likes this.
  20. rb10c

rb10c Member

I'm having an issue where if I run multiple mods, they are clones of the mod at the end of the list. As a fellow mac user, I'm requesting assistance in this matter. I did attempt to delete files, but then it recognised mods, but didn't actually imply them, as the implementative (not a real word) files had been deleted by myself, obviously.

Would you be specific in which files to delete? Or what part of said files to delete/edit?

Basically, my specs are:
    Mac, Steam 1.0.9 with DLC

Thanks a bundle.

Edit, my problem thickens.

Whenever I attempt to run a single mod, it will always run the final mod on the list, despite which I choose. Thats a bummer. Any assistance on that matter?

Thanks again.