OS X Snow Leopard Crash when moving save games from Win7 to OSX

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by axphin, Mar 19, 2012.

1. axphin

axphin Member

I move between Win7-64bit and OSX (10.6.8) when using Steam and found out that when I moved save files from OSX to Win7 DoD worked fine. But then when I took the updated save files and moved them BACK to OSX, the previews for the save games were black and trying to load any of the save games caused DoD to crash. I know there have been some posts about save games crashing but don't know if this falls under the same category. I am using Steam and running the current latest version of DoD which I believe is 1.0.9 REVB.

I use DropBox to store my save files. I copy all files except for the config.xml file since that seems to have machine specific settings.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

In 1.09RevB, savegames are unfortunately not cross platform. I *think* They're supposed to work cross platform for the next patch, though. We'll test this. (I doubt it will work for older saves however.)

3. axphin

axphin Member

Awesome thank you! I've seen references (release candidates,etc) to the new patch. Is that expected in the next couple of weeks? Sorry to bug, I'm sure it will be ready when it's done. Just excited to see the updates.

If the patch is going to specifically address cross platform saves I could open the saves in windows (where the saves currently work) and then make updated saves with the new patch and THEN move the saves over to a patched version of the OSX version. Hopefully that works. :)

Also if cross platform saves are going to be addressed does that mean we'll see steam cloud support?

4. Daynab

Steam cloud support is in fact in the patch :D including Steam workshop support for mods as well.

If you want to give the RC a try you can find it here http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/dredmor-patch-1-0-10-rc6-feedback-thread.2612/

Keep in mind there's some bugs, being a beta. We could certainly use some more cross platform testers, but there are no Mac or Linux binaries for RC6 yet. You probably want to wait until there is.

As for an estimate I honestly don't know, but we're coming close to having the bugs we wanted fixed done. Just need to make sure everything works on mac and linux as well.

5. axphin

axphin Member

Great, thank you!

I will wait until the Mac binary is available and try it out. I wouldn't mind testing between platforms if it helps you guys out.

For now I'll stay on Windows with 1.0.9 revb so I can keep playing! I'm on level 8 and my character is at level 21 and i'm having a blast with the digging ray and stealing items from shops, etc. :)

6. axphin

axphin Member

I just installed RC7 for OSX and can confirm that I can load my Win7 saves now. Thanks again!

7. Daynab

Excellent! thanks for the report.