Windows Vista/7 64-bit Crash on start

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by quixotecoyote, Jan 21, 2012.

1. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

Running it through steam so I've verified the cache. I've also uninstalled/reinstalled.

The launcher loads, but when i start the game it gives a black screen and crashes.

It used to work, but today it doesn't and I have no idea why. I installed some new security software in the form of AVG and Comodo, but even when I disable them, no dice.

Any ideas what could be wrong or a workaround? I've noticed that when the game crashes it has "32" in the exe filename. Is there a switch I'm supposed to use to run a 64 bit version?

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Try deleting the contents of the Gaslamp Games folder in Documents, it worked for some other people.

3. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

Thanks for the tip, Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the problem.

4. Daynab

Try running it with -opengl in the Steam launch options.

5. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

Nice idea, but no change.

6. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

I think I figured out the problem, but not the solution: None of my steam games can write to the drive for some reason. Not a problem with dredmor. That woulda been too easy.:dmg_acidic:

7. Daynab

Hum, that's strange. try running dungeons of dredmor.exe with "run as administrator"? (you don't need Steam to play DoD)

8. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

Yeah, it is strange. Somehow my entire steam directory is flagged "read-only" and doesn't want to stay unflagged. I have no idea why or if it's the only issue, but once I muddle through this one I'll figure out the next step.

9. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

Nope, that didn't do it. Hmm.

10. quixotecoyote

quixotecoyote Member

However, once I got everything to stay unflagged AND remembered to remove the -opengl parameter, it works!

Thanks for the help Daynab.

11. Daynab

No problem, glad we figured it out, somehow.