Windows Vista/7 32-bit Can't start game after patch

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Astrxs, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

Help! Steam downloaded new version and now the game won't start. I tried rebooting computer, redownloading DoD and trying to launch game outside of steam. I get no error messages. Game always ran fine for me in the past on this machine.

Thanks,
    Astrxs

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Try deleting the \Documents\Gaslamp Games\ folder and run the game again.

3. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

That didn't help.

4. Daynab

Official word is that Steam has to have eaten something... delete local content from Steam, then delete the folder I said, try reinstalling again.

5. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

Did that, still nothing. I'm not even getting the splash screen or startup options.

6. Daynab

Okay, this is a tough one. Couple things we can try.

1: Put "-opengl" in the game's launch options and see if there's any difference.

2: If not, put "-debug-flag" and see if the console displays anything before it crashes.

3: Is it possible by any chance you're missing Microsoft Visual c++ redistributable?

7. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

Nope and nope. I shouldn't be missing the visual c++ redist..

And it doesn't even seem to be crashing, so much, as just not starting. When I click play on steam or when I click on the app in the steam apps folder, I just get the waiting circle for a few seconds and then nothing. As if the game isn't even past the starting blocks.

Thanks for your continued help!

8. Daynab

There's now a new beta here: http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/dredmor-1-1-3-beta-feedback-thread.5193/ give it a try, in case it fixes the issue?

9. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

Whoo hooo! That at least got me to the config screen, the program started to launch and then crashed with a "cannot find skils/easytarget.png" error. But we got further than before. Any next steps?

10. Daynab

I have no such file, do you have mods or something?
    Second question, which expansions do you have?

11. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

Sorry I was paraphrasing the error message. It reads "file named skills/easy_target_inst32.png not found the game will probably crash". Then I click okay and it says "couldn't load PNG file skills/easy_target_inst32.png. The game will now crash." And then it does.

I have Realm of the Diggle Gods and You have to name the expansion pack.
    No mods.

Thanks

12. Daynab

Oh, okay, I'm dumb. Go to your game folder and delete /expansion3/ now it should work.

13. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I think Daynab talks about /expansion2/, since you only have RotDG and YHTNTEP, no CotW.

14. Daynab

No, I mean delete /expansion3/ precisely because he doesn't have CotW. The beta adds the folder, and when the folder (even empty) exists, the game looks for its assets, so it was looking for expansion3 stuff when he doesn't have it.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I haven't thought about this, sorry.

16. Astrxs

Astrxs Member

Huzzah!!! That worked!!! Thanks so much for your help, I knew this one took awhile. Love the game and your awesome support!

Daynab likes this.