Windows Vista/7 64-bit Can't load 1.0.10 game

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Despayre, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Despayre

Despayre Member

Started a new games last night because my old 1.0.10 beta saves wouldn't load, played for an hour or two then exited and saved the game. now when i try to load that game (either on the save with my name or the auto save) the preview screen is black and the game crashes to the desktop whenever I try to start the game.

Should I send the saves in somewhere?

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Yes, zip up your save and upload it using the forum software, we'll look at it. Does it happen for every save you make? if so I suggest reinstalling to make sure.

3. Despayre

Despayre Member

Well once i reloaded the game 3 or 4 times it started working again. If it breaks again I'll send in the save. Thanks for the reply though!

4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I just had this problem. Except that when I looked in the DoD directory of My Documents, both the regular save file and the autosave file were missing. I had Permadeath checked. Could the game delete those files when you try to load them because I did try to load the main save and the game crashed directly to the desktop without any messages. I don't have a save file to zip up and send. This is the first time this has happened. I have no idea what happened to the save files. Love the game. :)

5. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

It just happened again. This time, I copied the save game before I shut the computer down. Unfortunately, it wiped not only the save game and autosave, but also the copy I made of the save game. I have no idea what is going on. It appears to happen when Permadeath is checked. I have another save game that is not Permadeath and this hasn't happened to that so far. I am going to do a little more testing.

6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I just tried to see if I could make it happen. This time, of course, it didn't delete my save. I even tried turning off the computer to see if that had any effect. I don't know what is causing this. It's real weird and seems to happen only part of the time.

7. Daynab

That's... all kinds of freaky and there's no way it should have happened. Please keep us posted if you figure out what's going on.

8. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Will do.

9. Maralinga

Maralinga Member

I have had this happen a few times already(Windows 7 64, Steam version), and can confirm it happens to non-permadeath characters as well. I didn't have more than one character at the time,but it might be that something is causing all saves to be wiped without changing loadsave.dat in the process(if LionsDen's backup was another *.sav in the same directory).

Checked the DoD folder - saves are there. Started the game and went to load - saves are gone. I have no idea what might be causing this, as it seems fairly uncommon and I can't see what if anything triggers it.

10. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

My problem was the basically the same but I did have other saves and only that one save and the autosave that was from the same character disappeared. It doesn't seem to have happened since. At least not yet anyway.

11. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

It just happened again. Playing a game with no mods and I went to load it and it was gone. I made a copy of the autosave and then tried loading it. It loaded fine and I got back to where the other point I saved at was and saved it again. Will keep looking to see if I can figure out what is causing the saves to disappear.

12. Maralinga

Maralinga Member

The only possible trigger I have been able to identify so far, is playing the game(while offline?) through Steam. I may just be lucky so far, but with running the game directly my current character(CL15, DL4) hasn't yet imploded.

Other than that and if I am just lucky, it seemed to be based around a certain amount of character progression. Game difficulty seems unrelated, RotDG enabled/disabled seems unrelated, PD enabled/disabled seems unrelated, mods/no mods seems unrelated. Effectively all(that didn't die) my normally-played characters imploded around dungeon level 3-4, while I couldn't get a L1 character to implode after reaching DL3.

13. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

It just happened again to me. This time I was using mods and I don't have RotDG. I wasn't using PD and I was using EE. It also took out my autosave this time. I was on DL1 and my CL was low, 2, 3 or 4. I am constantly starting new characters just to try out new stuff. I have over 350 hours of play and haven't reached Dredmor even once. :)

EDIT: I am online. I have broadband and unless my connection goes down, I am connected. As far as I know, my connection did not go down last night when I was playing.

EDIT #2: Just so you know, it also deletes the bitmap files.

14. Maralinga

Maralinga Member

Thinking about it further, it's certainly plausible that the problem is to do with .10's addition of code for Steam cloud support. You could try running the game outside of Steam(?/Steam/steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor/Dungeons of Dredmor.exe) and see if that stops the problem for you as well.

15. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Ok, I will try that for a while and see what happens. Problem is that it can take a while between happenings. Or it can happen within a day. Thanks for the tip. :)

16. Trouserman

Trouserman Member

1.0.10, on OSX, experiencing much the same problem. It does seem to be related to Steam cloud. I had cloud support turned off in my Steam preferences, and the game was deleting my saves. Running the application directly (not from Steam), it did not delete the saves. Back to running from Steam, I turned on cloud support, and it kept the saves. I turned off cloud support again, and instead of deleting the saves, it started rolling them back to the state they were when last cloud support was on.

17. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Steam may be the key. I have been running it by using a shortcut to the exe file directly and so far not a thing has happened to my saves.

18. Azzer

Azzer Member

This has been happening to me - I haven't actually been able to get past about level 5 yet because of it (I've only just found out Steam cloud was the cause). Save files were just being deleted whenever I went back to play the next day. This is through Steam, but with Steam Cloud DISABLED (in Steam settings->downloads+cloud->"Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation" is unticked).

I've now tried playing the game directly through the shortcut and it seems ok.

I would say that the new Steam Cloud support is deleting saves - even if you have Steam set to not have the cloud enabled (perhaps the game doesn't know how to read this setting and is still trying to sync anyway, is getting confused because your cloud is disabled, and deleting all your saves? No idea).

I've known other games - a number of other games - to have similar issue or random problems when the Steam cloud is in use, which is why I disabled Steam cloud for everything some time ago - but DoD seems to have issues with it anyway :(

19. Daynab

I'll talk to Gaslamp and see if anything's broken regarding turning off the cloud.