Can someone explain to me how the Steam Cloud works?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Gorbax, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I've been trying to delete double-entries in my high-score table from a few heroes that weren't using Permadeath, but I just can't make it work. I've tried numerous approaches, but the last one should have been the most thorough:

1. I backed up my ...\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons Of Dredmor\ folder
    2. I launched the game with the "-nukesteamcloud" flag, and confirmed I wanted to delete all files through the in-game message box
    3. I de-installed Dungeons Of Dredmor via Steam
    4. I manually deleted the ...\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons Of Dredmor\ folder
    5. I manually deleted the ...\Steam\userdata\#####\98800\ folder
    6. I manually deleted the ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Dungeons Of Dredmor\ folder
    7. I reinstalled Dungeons Of Dredmor via Steam

When I then start the game, I don't have any save-games or high-scores, which makes sense.
    If I go and check the ...\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons Of Dredmor\ folder, however, there are a whole bunch of save-games in there, even save-games I didn't have anymore prior to doing the whole process!
    Note that I did not do anything with the back-up I made in step 1, it's still sitting in a .rar file on my desktop. I didn't put it back at any point.

Where are these coming from?

My ...\98800\ folder does not have the save-games after this happens.

If I repeat the entire process above, with the added difference of disabling Steam Cloud syncing after step 2, the same thing happens. I really couldn't care less about the high-scores at this point, I have to know where the game keeps finding those save-games.

EDIT: I am still assuming this is a Cloud issue, as I don't think there is any trace left of the save-games I deleted on my computer. (You know, before they magically re-appear). I may be wrong, though! Do save-games somehow end up in the registry?

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Change the enableSteamCloud line in config.xml in your documents gaslamp games folder to 0 and it should take care of it.

Kazeto and Gorbax like this.
  3. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Ah, yes, that worked, thanks!
    Does that mean the -nukesteamcloud flag doesn't actually delete files in the cloud?

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It does, but that you shot a zombie doesn't mean it won't try to bite you again.

And changing this value tells the zombie to stay down after getting shot.

5. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I'm still unsure where those save-games came from, then, though
    But it's fixed now, so I guess it's best to leave sleeping zombies lie.

Kazeto likes this.