Botanicula

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by onesandzeroes, Apr 19, 2012.

1. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

On sale at www.humblebundle.com right now. Allow me to put in a strong recommendation for it- it's a point-and-click puzzle game, to some extent, but it doesn't feel like you're "solving a puzzle" so much as figuring out how the universe in the game works. Surreal, gorgeous, delightful.

[​IMG]

Robsbot likes this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I watched a video review of it, and it does look interesting.
    /edit I meant to mention that it's done by the same people who did Mechanarium, and it looks like a similar type of game, but with its own world/style.

Robsbot likes this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Picked it up like every HIB since it's a good cause. I'll probably check it out soon.

4. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Mechanarium was beautiful; wish I'd made it.

Totally looking forward to playing this.

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Mechanarium pissed me off. Not because it wasn't amazing, but because for some reason, every time I played the game, I got to the same puzzle, and it broke and wouldn't let me pass. I looked up the solution, but the buttons simply didn't do what the tin said they did.

Other than that, it was basically perfect, though. :)

6. blob

blob Member

Botanicula is awesome so far. I like how its kindof a puzzle game but without the frustating parts.
    A good mix of exploring and searching. And very cute.

7. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Looks very curious indeed. Here's an impressions video from the cynical brit, Totalbiscuit for those wanting to see more of it. Clicky thing.

8. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

Oh! I had no idea it was by the same people as Machinarium. That was a lovely little game, but I lost my save so my desire to finish it waned. I missed the HIB, but noticed this particular game has been brought over to steam, I might pick it up if it goes on sale, since as much as I want to, sometimes I just can't get into point and click games.

9. madcow

madcow Member

I'm about half way through botanicula (I think I'm halfway at least), and its very cool and bizarre, I'm liking it. Machinarium I beat and was good fun.

Since we're on the topic of point and click style games, anybody given the walking dead game a try? I've never read the comic, and I found the tv show okay (I love zombie movies, but the show just hasn't moved up to amazing zombie watching for me). With that as a reference, I've played the game and love it. It feels like an interactive tv show. An interactive tv show that's better than the actual walking dead tv show.

Except for the batteries. What were they thinking with the batteries!?

10. Glazed

Glazed Member

I really enjoyed this game. It's a point-and-click adventure game that's unlike any other one I've played, and let me tell you, I've played like three!

No text, no speech, no riddles, no action verbs to click on. Just puzzles and adventure. You click on things to interact with them, even from a distance. Movement is mostly just to and from adjacent screens. Sometimes you move within one screen for a puzzle, but usually not. All the sound effects are done with voice acting.

It's very short, but also very sweet. I completed it in about 3 or 4 hours. I was constantly smiling at all the cute little things that happened in the game! It has a tons of charm.

Tips:
    • Click on things, then click on them again and again and again. More stuff often happens.
    • Double clicking to move to the next screen makes you go there much faster than normal. This is great when backtracking.