Bibliomancy

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Professor Science, Jun 23, 2014.

1. [​IMG]
    Adds the Bibiliomancy skill tree, a wizard support skill. Does not require any DLC.

[​IMG]
    Level 0: Read Thesaurus
    "The first step to transforming into an amazing author is having a voluminous vocabulary! Reading up on synonyms will make your spells more effective and powerful."
    +1 Existential Resist

Spell: “Read Thesaurus”
    Buff that costs 1 mana per 6 turns and adds +5 Savvy, +4 Magic Power and +4 Haywire. Also gives all other Bibliomancy spells extra effects, but has a chance of triggering a hefty debuff when you use them.

[​IMG]
    Level 1: Purple Prose
    "In order be taken even slightly seriously as an aspiring wordsmith, which incidentally is exactly your goal, you have to make sure to ramble on as much as is humanly possible for an adventurer such as yourself. This has the wonderfully useful side effect of making anyone within hearing fall fast asleep from sheer boredom."
    +1 Existential Resist

Spell: “Purple Prose”
    Spell that puts enemies to sleep around the player. Has additional chance of sleep and knockback while the “Read Thesaurus” buff is active.

[​IMG]
    Level 2: Create Character
    "Every fanfi... er, story needs characters! Yours are the absolute best ever oh my goodness."
    +1 Existential Resist

Spell: “Create Character”
    Lets you summon the “Mary Sue” pet. When the “Read Thesaurus” buff is active, it summons the more powerful “Indigo” pet instead.

[​IMG]
    Level 3: Plot Hole
    "Even the best writers make mistakes. Plot is hard! Sometimes, stuff just doesnt make sense. Holes in the story, if you will. In your case, this happens to be a literal black hole that damages and teleports your enemies."
    +1 Existential Resist

Spell: “Plot Hole”
    Deals existential damage and blinks enemies in the targeted area. Also gives them an existential dot that lasts a few turns if you have the “Read Thesaurus” buff active.

[​IMG]
    Level 4: Worldbuilding
    "Fleshing out your setting is sure to make your book more interesting! It'll make your dungeoneering more interesting, too."
    +1 Existential Resist

Spell: “Worldbuilding”
    Creates 4 walls around the targeted area. Also digs walls around them while the “Read Thesaurus” buff is active.

[​IMG]
    Level 5: Deus Ex Machina
    "Backed yourself into a corner? Surrounded by enemies with no hope of saving yourself? No worries; this spell will get you out of any jam."
    +1 Existential Resist

Spell: “Deus Ex Machina”
    Deals existential damage to enemies around the player, then teleports the player to the targeted square. Also deals an existential dot to the enemies while the buff is active.

Might add more specific details on the spells later, if people want that. I'd love some feedback, as this is my first mod. I'm a little concerned about balance, particularly for the Purple Prose spell. I'm worried it might be a bit overpowered so early.

Also on Steam Workshop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Daynab likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Looks pretty solid, nice work!

3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Sounds interesting. I'll have to remember to try it next time I start a new game.

In the meantime, are you planning on adding any new items to this mod, because I've got a crapload of correctly sized sprites of books (though mostly modifoed versions of the sprites for the existing tomes) that I could upload if you need some.

4. I was thinking about it, but it's not really something I want to work on right now. Thanks for the offer though!

5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I already subscribed to this mod(it's still new), mainly because there's plenty of theme builds I thought of that could easily use this skill for canon.

Edit: Turns out that it doesn't work with my Phoenix Wright Build. He has Ace Attorney/Star Lawyer and Magical Law as his 2 core skills. Combined with Bibliomancy and Arcanist and you have 4 Utility skills without much existential damage output.
    His build was meant to have plenty of utility, with multiple damage options, most of them dealing existential damage. He would have tonnes of savvy, which makes his spells cheap. Unfortunately I can't find any Existential Damage Nuke, Missile and AoE Skills for his build.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014