Aluminium Insufflation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mashirafen, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Im thinking it may be better to streamline the effects and make them simpler because there will be a ton of effects.

Tin - makes you bendable somehow
    Iron - makes you tougher (more Armor Absorption)
    Brass - makes you sharper (more dmg)
    Gold - Makes you gloriously golden and handsome. Blinds enemies?
    Plutonium - Adds a healthy glow which deals damage to nearby enemies
    Plastic - Turns you pink and nothing else!
    Aluminium - makes you super light somehow
    Steel - makes you even thougher than iron!

Powders last 5 rounds per item in the stack and gives a minor bonus. You snort the entire stack!
    Ores last just as long but double the bonus compared to dusts
    Bars have a slightly better bonus compared to Ores
    Snorting items will give you all the bonuses and penalties of said item for 10 rounds
    Snorting enemies makes you steal their special powers (flying, poison cloud, damage types or whatever)
    Snorting walls - well I dont know but it sure sounds awesome

Anyway cutting it short now because I need to sleep

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This sounds good. Tin could give a dodging bonus. Plutonium? How would that be crafted? Or would it just be an added item for the game that can be found? And either way, would it not kill you outright over time?
    (And just to nag because I am that way, Iron is stronger than Steel. Steel is more resistant to some environmental problems like rust, but Iron is still universally stronger.)

How you could code the part for snorting items to give you their benefits is beyond my candle. You could simplify snorting enemies to give you their life as a a heal since you snorted their blood.
    And again, just because I am that way, I must point out that when you say bars, I think you meant ingots.

Either way, I like the ideas. Sleep well.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Look up Damascus Steel for steel that has naturally formed carbon fiber nano-tubes in it. It's extremely strong because of that. That's like Awesome Steel of Awesomeness. :)
    The best swords and weapons were made from Damascus Steel.

As for Plutonium, yeah, it should critically injure you so fast it's not even funny. :)
    Unlike Uranium, which is unpleasant, but not super ultra fatal fast.

Also, if we're going to nitpick on Steel, how in the heck do you push a bar of iron with a piece of coal and chalk and magically make steel? :)

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Check this out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron
    Under Characteristics, on the left is the chart of tensile strength. Iron whiskers are higher than several types of steel listed, and to my knowledge, no naturally occurring non-radioactive metal is even close. Alloys are a mixed bag. You could in theory add Uranium to an Iron alloy and call it steel if you wanted. It would certainly be harder, but steel is a relative term. (Typically it is purely the carbon added that signifies it as steel, but everything is relative.)
    *Edit* Something strikes me as contradictory in the Wikipedia entries for Iron and Steel. I will have to do further reading and see if I can remove my head from my ass.)
    *Edited again* Check this out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocrystalline_whisker
    It says the following: "Prior to the discovery of carbon nanotubes, single-crystal whiskers had the highest tensile strength of any materials known, and were featured regularly in science fiction as materials for fabrication of space elevators, arcologies, and other large structures."

Wi§p likes this.
  5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Wow, I didn't know about those whiskers. Neat.

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah. I messed up by remembering select bits of information while reading years ago. I am wrong. Steel is Iron made better in almost all ways, but still a hundredth the strength of the uselessly tiny whiskers I read about. :)

*Edited to mock DavidB1111 for reminding me to use edit...*

Probably the only way to harvest large Monocrystaline Iron Whiskers would be to somehow scoop them out of a star. And we know how friendly stars are about this sort of thing. (We will sooner develop warp drives and phasers and encounter Vulcans than find a way to even get such things out of stars, much less get the radiation down low enough to use them for anything.) :)

And BTW, if Daynab is going to beat anyone, I am certain to deserve it more. If I ever stop posting, Daynab may have murdered me. justifiably killed me in self defense...

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You do know you have an edit button, and don't need to post twice, right? Most forums tend to get up in arms about that.
    No hard feelings.
    Also, I changed around my posts earlier a bit, so as not to go far off topic.
    Mostly, I hope Daynab doesn't beat me up.

8. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Steel is not always better its just a point between being too soft or too brittle, so is more useable (so definatly better for building stuff). Which for things like knives, swords and axes is very useful for keeping an edge longer. While for structural purposes offers some flex along with the strength.

Some possible bonuses/penalities (Building on Shadowplay's ideas)
    Plastic = +:resist_hyperborean:, -:resist_conflagratory:
    Tin = +:dodge: , -:armor_asorb:
    Iron = +:armor_asorb:, -:magic_power:
    Steel = +:melee_power:, +:armor_asorb:, -:dodge:, -:magic_power:
    Aluminium = +:nimbleness:, -:savvy:
    Copper = +:haywire: , -:resist_voltaic:
    Bronze = +:block:, -:caddishness:
    Brass = +:resist_conflagratory:, -:resist_hyperborean:
    Silver = +:magic_power:, -:sneakiness:
    Gold = +:caddishness:, -:magic_resist:
    Plutonium = +:sight:, -:resist_toxic:

Wi§p likes this.
  9. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

Wow, I didn't expect this to get a load of posts while I was away. I like all of the aforementioned ideas. But let's not forget that things such as chalk and brimstone are in an optimum form for nasal insertion too.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I and others forgot to mention this was added to either Roguish Renovations or FAXPAX. I honestly cannot recall which it was though. I am thinking RR, but I could be wrong.

The item is called Dream Dust.

Enjoy! Dream Dust.jpg

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yep. It is in RR. Not FAXPAX.

From RR's itemDB.xml:
    Code:
    <item name="Dream Dust" iconFile="items/consumable/potion_powder.png" level="6" >
        <description text="When you bought this game, you were promised the chance to stuff aluminum powder up your nostrils. Now you can do that - and more. This is an addictive substance - overdosing will NOT help you." />
        <potion spell="Expanded Mind" />
        <price amount="600" />
        </item>
    And the effects from RR's spellDB.xml:
    Code:
    <spell name="Withdrawal" type="self" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="50" allowstacking="1" stacksize="3" icon="skills/withdrawal64.png" smallicon="skills/withdrawal32.png" bad="1">
            <primarybuff id="0" amount="-4"/> <!-- Burl -->
            <primarybuff id="1" amount="-4"/> <!-- Sag -->
            <primarybuff id="2" amount="-4"/> <!-- Nim -->
            <primarybuff id="3" amount="-4"/> <!-- Cad -->
            <primarybuff id="4" amount="-4"/> <!-- Stubb -->
            <primarybuff id="5" amount="-4"/> <!-- Savv -->
            </buff>
        <description text="Just...gotta have a little more of that skoom - I mean, stuff. I can stop any time I want. Really." />
        </spell>

<spell name="Expanded Mind" type="self" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="30" allowstacking="0" icon="skills/expandedmind64.png" smallicon="skills/expandedmind32.png" >
            <primarybuff id="1" amount="10"/> <!-- Sag -->
            <primarybuff id="5" amount="10"/> <!-- Savv -->
            </buff>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Withdrawal" amount="31" />
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="Withdrawal" />
        <description text="You're seeing things. You're hearing things, too. They're not altogether unpleasant, though." />
        </spell>
    So it is plus ten to Sagacity and Savvy for thirty turns, followed by minus four to every primary statistic for fifty turns, but it can be removed via any sort of debuff remover ability or item. Potions of Purity, Emomancy's "The Cure" and Veganism's "Level Five Vegan" as well as a few more I am not remembering should all remove the negatives. Note that the debuff stacks three times, but the buff does not stack. Also, it really should remove the debuff entirely when you use more. That is what happens with addictions in real life.

I will comment on this in the RR thread.