ALPHA 50C ALPHA 50C: WE WILL MASTER THESE EMOTIONS

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Since it's come to this,
    Is there a way to make colonists pick the best building to sleep on the floor of?

It seems they do this randomly, but why go to the Typical kitchen when there's a Wonderful bunkhouse you can lie down on?

Tarod likes this.
  2. Unforked

Unforked Member

Well, I guess this is one way to really encourage bed-making as a priority.

3. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

You'd be surprised, it is much less of a priority to make any beds at all now.

4. Am I the only one that loves the most recent changes? Particularly with regards to sanity?

I think Despair does indeed fit the general theme better and I find the UI regarding a colonists' emotional state not only easy to navigate but also easy to understand and relate to gameplay.

Personally I think this is one of the best experimental builds I have played for a long while, certainly in terms of the quality of changes. The minimap looks excellent too. Great work.

dbaumgart likes this.
  5. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

It may make you feel better to think of old sadness as new negative happiness, and despair as the new madness.

6. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

What are you seeing in the history window that you don't see in the alert system? This suggests that maybe we didn't copy over some info that you're interested in

7. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yes, this needs better logic. It's not high on my priority list right now, though.

8. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Probably should have just read the rest of this thread* before commenting on tikigod's message haha, yes, basically this. Madness is indeed a good word :)

Tarod likes this.
  9. Unforked

Unforked Member

The alert system is great, they just feel so temporary -- they disappear into the ether. I just like seeing the recent history always there, always updating, like a comforting cup of cocoa. I can always look down and see the entire narrative unfolding in real-time. I'll get used to the way it is now... I probably just have nostalgia for the old ticker system.

10. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

I totally get that, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a functional reason. Nostalgia is good :)

11. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

To be honest, I'm leaning more in the direction of "making sleeping on the floor bad enough that people just build beds instead of trying to finagle with individual area quality"

12. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Yep. In terms of value as a function of usefulness, stuff you stick on the walls are much more valuable/efficient since they don't take up any floor space, and floor space is a very big factor in building cost, module placement, etc.

13. Mouseovers are acting weird in this version: 20160428173645_1.jpg
    EDIT: And I just noticed that, after most of my military was killed, I can't add anybody to the squad. EDIT TO EDIT: It turns out that the squad leader had died but was still listed as an active overseer.
    MINOR THING: The Lower Class Rug doesn't have a quality rating.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  14. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Can we keep the word "madness" ? I really think it's better than "despair" even if the mechanic has a bit changed.

Also weren't we supposed to have madness fueled artifacts and machines at some point ? I fondly remember that Obleskian-symbiote-on-Sanatarium concept art

Selly1 and Samut like this.
  15. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Just a point of order here: 'Box of Bricabrac' does not appear in the Commodities list (although it does appear in the stockpile).

Also, the Crop Damage alert is mis-labeled - the tooltip indicates that Left-clicking will dismiss the alert and right-clicking will zoom to the activity, but the opposite is actually true.

*edit* One more thing, queueing up the Long Clothes Line decor to be constructed at the Carpentry will throw up a script error, and whoever goes to grab a Box of Bricabrac from the stockpile will freeze, permanently. They will be so profoundly frozen that they will become immune to Frontier Justice, and your military will continue shooting at them forever, if you call for the execution. They will keep collecting damage, while the hapless carpenter's health bar extends infinitely leftward, into negative health.

Attached Files:

Jonothan Thrace likes this.
  16. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(Oh hey, welcome back - is the move done?)

17. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

To be honest, I'm pretty sure the current parameterization is leaning more in the direction of a relatively binary system:
    1. Just let them sleep on floors as a Typical floor is Sleep Tier -4 (ie: +1 happiness)
    2. Spin up. A lot. To deal with decor**

**A cot in an uncomfortable building should also be Sleep Tier -4. Therefore to gain any real benefit above just sleeping on the floor of a carpentry with 1 workbench, you need to spin up a lot of cot and decor production.

Taking a look at it, if one takes an empty barracks and puts in 2 cots, an overseer who sleeps there would have the same effect as if they slept on the floor of the empty barracks. If you instead start adding bits of decor here and there for scattered cots, it makes more sense in many ways to do it all in one place.

Then the optimal strategy is fairly clear, you pretty much need to go "all-in" to producing the decor. Which is not really that bad... just that now I would push it pretty far back compared to nearly everything else in the tech tree (which is to say it'll probably be started as early as usual but is expected to be a black hole for quite a while)

18. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

1. Fixed for next patch
    2. Fixed for next patch
    3. Logged as OC-4693 and probably fixed really soon.

19. I notice my carpenters don't seem all that interested in weaving rugs (which is disappointing because I was looking forward to having them again after months of no way to make them)
    EDIT: When I got my "gift" of landmines, they landed on top of some farmers and exploded them. This alone isn't much of a problem, but ever since that happened the farmland keeps exploding at random intervals and destroying the crops (but not the farmers).

Tarod likes this.
  20. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Sort of. Now I'm temporarily in a place until I move into a more permanent situation in a few months, but at least I have regular electricity and internet again, yay!

Tarod likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.