ALPHA 42C NOW ON STEAM EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Alianan: do you have a save, or a replay, for either of these two bugs?

2. Alianin

Alianin Member

I do, along with a crash that happened just after I posted this.

Attached Files:

3. Nicholas

I don't even see a metalworks in this game. What am I missing?

4. Alianin

Alianin Member

There's two. One next to the Textiles Workshop and a new one I built behind the existing Metalworks.

5. Nicholas

I don't see a textiles workshop, either. I only see four buildings. Are you sure this is the right save? (The replay crashes due to a determinism error for me, which we will deal with one day.)

6. Alianin

Alianin Member

I've attached the latest save. Hopefully it'll work. Most of the dead animals have finally been cleaned up, though there's still a dead bird on the edge of town that nobody has gotten to. The workshop next to the stockpile and textile shop still won't smelt. The new one behind it is happily smelting away, for now.

Attached Files:

7. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I'm still getting some slowdown issues whenever my population is above 80 and I especially when I have large construction projects unfinished. Anyone else?

8. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I'm occasionally getting patches of gameplay where the game itself will appear to be running smoothly, and panning around and zooming with the mouse works perfectly, but keyboard input is severely delayed, or ignored completely. It seems to start when I'm getting up around 50 colonists, but it's very sporadic, and goes away soonish.

9. Nicholas

I'll take save games with slowdowns too. It might be the new stockpile code. I haven't seen the keyboard thing - is this new as of 42C? I can't think what could have caused it.

10. Nicholas

Allianan: that save claims you're on 42. Not 42C. Which was it?

11. Alephred

So, this is the save in which I was experiencing keyboard lag. The last session I played experienced no lag, however. It did end abruptly with a crash, so I've included the dump file. If nothing else, it represents a long session (over an hour). At 50 colonists, approximately half my colony has to be devoted exclusively to farming, for survival.

shot029.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Nicholas

I'll take a look at the save.

What are people's preferred priority for fixing bugs and glitches in 42C? How do we feel collectively about the stockpiles at this point?

13. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Any guesses on what my preferred priority is? :)

14. Nicholas

Not a darn clue. :p

15. Mikel

It has something to do with my computer running 41E instead of 42 anything. :)

16. Nicholas

Ah, right, the Mac Build. Unfortunately that will not be sorted out until our build engineer is back from PAX :(

17. Mikel

He slipped out of his chains, eh? :)

18. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Here's a save that I get massive slowdown no matter what I do. I have a Core i7-5960X CPU that shows around 15% utilization at 3.00 GHz.

Stockpile and workshop behavior is much much more efficient than before, so thanks for that. If it's somehow contributing to the slowdown I've been experiencing, then I'd like to see that addressed. You got the major inefficiencies addressed, so any further adjustments might not have as much benefit vs. time taken to tweak it, and might be better dealt with at a later date. The only things left about hauling behavior that need looking at, off the top of my head, would be hauling items back from long distances and how that might introduce stackable container restrictions, or if a colonist who just finishes a foraging job could switch to a hauling job for items they just foraged, so that they can at least carry something back on their return to civilization.

Attached Files:

19. Alianin

Alianin Member

Nicholas, my apologies. I must have forgotten to turn experimental builds back on with my new Windows install. I'm updated now and I'll start a new game and beat on it.

20. Alephred

I like stockpiles in their present incarnation. Hauling and stacking are working pretty intuitively.

Specific bugs I'd like to see addressed (unless they've already been fixed):
    • issuing a command to butcher a corpse was often ignored (or given a very low priority) - I can't remember it being a problem lately, so perhaps that's been fixed
    • picking a module for dismantling, clicking does not seem to select the square at the pointer's tip, causing difficulty when selecting a module in a crowded workshop (say, one stove between two other stoves)