Add Drops to Vanilla Monsters without changing Core Files

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Arron Syaoran, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Is it possible to let's say, have Eelys drop "Eel Sushi", or have Amazonian Bumblebee People drop "Honey Comb"s without changing the core game? If not then one of my future patches, Comb Ravers, will be severely crippled. I wonder if you can use taxa or something else to get Honey Combs to drop off of ABBP without editing the ABBP Monster Profile. Because I don't want Honey Combs dropping from Fish Paladins or Diggles, and if I can't do it, I may have to drastically change my outlook on Comb Ravers.

2. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Try adding the same very monster you want the item drops from in the monDB and see if it works.
    It should either duplicate the monster entry, so there could be monsters who drop and other who don't, or it could overwrite it directly.

3. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

This general capability is something that should be emphasized by default, with mods treated as changes to a flat database rather than as hierachically structured, self contained databases of their own. Add in sensible behavior when they point to non existent things (propagate the error state up to the thing requesting it and not load it, use a sensible default), and a lot of things become possible that aren't handled well now. Mods can sensibly rely on other mods being present, mods can change the core game files, mods can work without expansion content without explicitly avoiding using them ever, as can parts of the core game. I hope Clockwork Empires is being approached this way.

4. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

@Kaidelong: I don't know what you were talking about exactly, but it would be nice to be able to add mod content that only appears when you have the right mod installed, and works fine without said content if you don't have that mod installed.