Acidic traps. Wow.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by killington, Jul 20, 2011.

1. killington

killington Member

Let me first start by saying that I LOVE the game. I've put 17 hrs into it since I bought it.

One thing irks me, though. Acid traps are RIDICULOUSLY overpowered. Twice now I have been killed by acid traps when my character is rolling along on medium in later levels(first was at dung-level 5, second was at dung-level 8). First one, sure, I was a vampire, couldnt eat food to save myself, prolly my fault. I learned my lesson and never explored new places with anything but max hp(and no more vampire for me), so on the latest acid death I am level 16 at dungeon level 8, about 70 max hp, FULL hp, I walk over some sort of acid trap that literally kills me even with a regeneration potion AND food going...from MAX hp...It proceeds to say that I was "killed by player", it didnt even have the decency to tell me the name of the infernal trap that raped me properly.

I'm all for dying and starting over when it's my fault, but ugh. Am I the only one that thinks acidic traps need a little weakening? It just sucks losing 4-5 hours worth of character building to something uncontrollable. It would be one thing If I could somehow build acid resistant gear, I would just go for that every single game.

2. Embolus

Embolus Member

A Zodiacal Wand or Potion of Purity can save your life against unsuspected acid traps.

3. killington

killington Member

I could have saved myself afterall(had a couple purities on me, wasnt sure what they did, honestly didnt expect the acid trap to like 2 hit me with all that stuff going), which upsets me even more. Thanks for the tip, but I still think theyre a little ridiculous.

4. Wallach

Wallach Member

They're definitely the most dangerous traps. That said, you always have at least 1 tile vision worth of trap detection no matter what character you build, so it's not really beyond your control.

5. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

I swear they were weakened in 1.03... I used to step on a garboyle acid arrow thing and pretty much die on level 1-3, but now they just seem to do 1-2 damage a tick.

6. Toeofdoom

Toeofdoom Member

When I played a wizard, I think I saw gargoyle acid bolt trap damage scale with spell power? They get pretty nasty, anyway.

7. mwoody

mwoody Member

A tip to avoid traps: move with the mouse. It will almost never let you tread on a trap, as the default action is "remove" rather than "walk." WASD will happily send you to a certain death.

Which is a shame, because I prefer to move with WASD, but I had to train myself not to do so.

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I'll look into the levels that acid traps appear on and maybe adjust them to be more in line with other traps. The acid burn effect IS pretty nasty.

Exile likes this.
  9. afterstar

afterstar Member

They are the only traps I make sure to be at full health before trying to disarm.
    Sometimes I won't bother with them,because the acid dot effect stacks and is very brutal.

The rest of the traps are usually either weak or the damage is not very threatening.
    I recommend that your characters always have at least 2-3 Trap Affinity points.
    You don't really need more than 3,but having none or 1,means you are going blind.

10. killington

killington Member

@David: Thanks for looking into it!
    @mwoody: Yeah i know about moving with mouse, but i get annoyed by it because if you click while moving to a new spot while still moving it just stops you, which is HIGHLY annoying. I might have to do it next time i get to level 8, though, i dont want to explode again.
    @afterstar: Yeah, I might have to go back to taking perception on every character. I stopped doing it to take other skills, but blech.

11. afterstar

afterstar Member

You don't specifically need perception,a lot of other skills and items give some trap affinity.But if you can fit it into your skill-build take it :p, I don't have it.

12. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

I was insta-killed by a fire trap on dungeon level 9 a couple days ago, and had over 70 hp. Gotta watch where I'm going I guess. :O

13. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

yes acid traps are actually VERY powerful, and usually a death sentence at lower levels. I tried to take an acid bolt trap down on the first floor, and got down to 1 hp (no kidding, I was freaking out) luckily I had the fairy mushroom, that stacks with the foods regen. I love mushrooms in this game!!

14. llamaegg

llamaegg Member

I won't even try and disarm them anymore, my current character is unarmed so if one's in my way I'll just punch it out of my way (I love unarmed in this game, so manly, you can punch anything out of the way!). But yeah, have totally died to them a few times, bane of my existence!

15. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

I leave acid bolt traps completely alone unless I have the affinity to disarm them outright.

16. Incendax

Incendax Member

I leave most Gargoyle style traps alone because you can do the Happy Dance(tm) and murder dozens of enemies.