About Sound Effects and Modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Arron Syaoran, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I couldn't find this anywhere else, so I'm going to ask:
    1. Is it possible to add custom sound effects?
    2. Is it possible to use Vanilla/Expansion sound effects for Your Mod's Spells?
    3. How do you add Vanilla/Expansion sound effects to Your Mod's Spells?

2. bluehinter

bluehinter Member

1) Yes and no. Mostly no. You can add your own soundfx.xml to your mod directory, but it won't do anything. The only way I know of for sure to introduce new sounds to the game is to go into the core game's dungeons of dredmor\sfx directory and overwrite an existing .WAV file. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might also be able to add additional sounds to the game by editing the core game's soundfx.xml file. It seems likely, because this is what Gaslamp Games have had to do every time they add new sounds for an expansion pack.

This goes beyond the normal restrictions of modding, since it's messing with core game files (which if there's ever another update to the game will produce a conflict) and there's no way to include this as part of a mod "package" when uploading to steam. So unless you're doing it for your own amusement, it's pretty much a big waste of time.

2 & 3) That said, you can use existing Vanilla/Expansion sound effects, and there's no difference between the two because they're all stored in the same directory and accessed by the same file. Just go into the dungeons of dredmor\game\ directory and open up soundfx.xml and you can use any sound name you find in quotations in the sfx field of your spell like so:

<spell name="Wood Break Sound" type="target"><ai hint="target"/>
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/blank/blank" frames="2" framerate="50" sfx="breakable"/>
    </spell>

Please note, that you can ONLY use sounds which have been defined in this file. There are some lovely .WAV files in the sfx directory that aren't used, like "100 ton weight is dropped on somebody.wav", so you can't use them either, even if you attempt to define them in your own soundfx.xml file (at least I've never got it to work).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Thank you, I've tried using:
    <anim sfx="magic"/> for some of the spells in my mod(don't know if sprite tag is needed or not, just adding sfx without animation), and am about to test it on monday.

4. bluehinter

bluehinter Member

I can't recall off the top of my head if it is either. If it doesn't work for you, you can always do what I did above. Create a "blank" directory in your sprites/sfx folder, and then add two transparent 32x32 pngs titled "blank0000.png" and "blank0001.png" inside.

5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Going to test it another day. Things are Getting in the way IRL. I really want to try your modpack. Is it on steam?

6. bluehinter

bluehinter Member

Yep. The Monstrous Megapack is usually somewhere towards the top of main workshop page. If not check the box for "rooms" or "architecture" and it'll pop right up.

7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

People also upload things here....

8. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I just subscribed to Bluehinter's Pack(turns out to be a Collection rather than a Modpack, which means subscribing to 3 mods instead of one mod that contains all 3). Going to try it out soon. Still haven't tested the SFX Animations yet. Going to try one more Pure Wizard/Pure Warrior run then I'll test it(in my Android Rogue Mod).