A quick reference and my notes

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by howler, Jul 14, 2011.

1. howler

howler Member

Congratulations on your release. I'm having a great time with the game! Here's my list of notes I've made so far. I'll also share this reference page I made yesterday to help me with the game in case anyone else finds it useful:

http://i.imgur.com/flOHg.png

Awesome little game so far:

Bugs
    ----
    Scroll wheel in the tutorial menu should scroll the list, not start a tutorial.

When loading a save game, clicks carry through to the screen during the load causing an unexpected player move.

With most objects on the floor once seen you can hover over them from a distance and see their tooltip. This doesn't work for traps even if you've already identified it. Update so that an identified trap's mouse tooltip pops up at range.

Limitations
    -----------
    Icons in tooltips need better handling. For example, when a tooltip is up, leave it up as long as the mouse cursor is over or near the tooltip. Allow the player to then hover over the icons in the text and get the popups explaining what they are.

When playing with permadeath, add a warning and confirmation for "Just Quit" to remind the player that they're about to lose their game as the last save was already deleted.

Fonts and UI items are often too small in very high resolutions. Add UI scaling options. Add Font scaling options.

The player log in the upper left has too few lines. Add an option to make its length configurable by the player.

With the graphics and perspective, narrow horizontal hallways are often hard to see without referring to the mini-map.

Make the character panel and mini-map movable like the inventory panel.

Feature Requests (many from other roguelikes)
    ----------------
    Key remapping options for all keys.

Default attack by bumping into monsters with movement keys in addition to left clicking.

Add a rest key. Stops when health or magic become full, something is detected, or after 100 turns.

Add long walk: Shift+Direction. You will walk in that direction until any of a number of things happen: a hostile monster is visible on the screen, a message is sent to the message window for any reason, you press a key, or you are about to step on anything other than normal floor or an undiscovered trap and it is not your first move of the long walk. Note that this is functionally equivalent to just pressing the direction key several times. (from Crawl)

Eat Food and Quaff Potion keys. Auto select the least powerful potions or food first and prefer objects on the current floor tile over inventory.

Pick up items directly to inventory. Hold shift when clicking places the item directly in inventory vs click, move mouse, click. Also add just a keybind that will do the same 'pick up to inventory' by pressing a key without using the mouse.

Add an option to annotate the mini-map. Clicking on the mini-map opens a panel for text input. This places a flag or other notation on the map. Hovering over it shows the text in a tooltip. Clicking on the same notation later offers the option to delete the marker or edit the text.

Miscellaneous
    -------------
    What do you think about diagonal directions for movement, combat, and more like in other roguelikes? It's probably too significant of a change at this point, but I'll toss it out there for discussion.

Good job with the game. Lots of fun...

2. Lordxorn

Lordxorn Member

During the Wand Tutorial the Las Wand carried through to my Save Game, and was usable.

3. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

You already can shift-click to put items into your belt/inventory directly.

Minimap annotations would be a great thing to have.

4. celt

celt Member

Great list! Well thought out. I'm in favor of all these efficiency-type things. Reduce the clicks and have lots of things done automatically to enhance the immersion.

5. Animation

Animation Member

I wish there were a confirm and/or backout process for picking my level-up skill. As it is, one click and I am locked in with no confirmation. Whoopsie. ;)