A Holiday Puzzle

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Haldurson, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

In honor of the holidays, I thought I'd post this question, which I frequently have posted elsewhere over the years. Here goes:

As we all know, New Years day and Christmas day are exactly 1 week apart.

That said, in 1917, that was not true. Why not?

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Because in 1917 New Years Day was at the start of the year and Christmas all the way at the end, many months later.

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That's correct! That's actually the fastest I've ever seen someone come up with the correct answer. Usually, people come up with all sorts of historical mumbo jumbo to explain it.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The next one is not holiday related, but I may as well post it as well. I'll post another if you guys solve it.

There is a circular race track that is exactly 1 mile in circumference. If you drive halfway around the track at 30 mph, how fast would you have to travel the rest of the way in order to have an average speed of 60 mph for the entire trip?

5. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Good guess. Unfortunately it's wrong.

7. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

Wait, you'd have to keep going 30 mph because that's a half-mile/minute, and you'd go around the whole track in a minute, which is 60 mph.

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Sorry, that's not correct either...

9. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

It's impossible.

Let X be the speed which is required of the second half-mile. Time = distance/speed.

0.5/30 + 0.5/X hours would be the total time required.

With an average speed of 60 MPH to travel 1 mile, the time required would be 1/60 hours.

Hence, 0.5/30 + 0.5/X = 1/60. Cross-multiplying, 0.5X + 15 = 0.5X. We would end up with 15 = 0, which is obviously not true.

Hence, there is no speed that will give an average speed of 60. If you somehow manage to do this in real life, a Nobel prize in physics should be in short order.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Correct!

There's actually a much easier way to explain it:
    The total distance is 1 mile -- in order to average 60 mph, you have to drive the entire circumference in 1 minute.
    At 30 mph, it takes a minute to drive 1/2 mile, which is the distance that was already driven. Hence, you've already driven for 1 minute, and have 0 minutes left to complete the circuit in order to average 60 mph.

Congratulations!

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

This might be the toughest one (or the easiest one) depending on how your brain works.

There's an old riddle -- some of you may know it, but the traditional answer to it is not the most interesting part of the riddle.

The original riddle goes as follows:
    A man travels 10 miles south, shoots a bear, then travels 10 miles east, and 10 miles north and winds up back where he started. What color was the bear?

The traditional answer to that riddle is "white" because, as the person telling the riddle explains, the only place where you can travel 10 miles south, 10 miles east, and then 10 miles north, and wind up back at where you started is at the north pole.

Clever riddle. Unfortunately the explanation of it turns out to be wrong.

My question is, where else on earth, BESIDES THE NORTH POLE can you travel 10 miles south, 10 miles east, and then 10 miles north, and wind up back where you started?

Note that I do not require an EXACT answer -- just a good enough description/explanation.

12. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

The South Pole, which Antarctica exists.

13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Sorry but not correct -- you can't travel 10 miles south when you are at the south pole.

14. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

10 + 5/PI miles north of the south pole.
    You travel 10 miles south. Then traveling 10 miles east gets you in a perfect circle. Then 10 miles north puts you back where you started.

The simpler answer is 10 miles north of the south pole but that has problems with how you go 10 miles east and which way is north.

15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Correct! That's the simplest answer (you didn't need to give me the 5/pi -- my math is rusty nowadays but I'll take your word for that. All I needed was the part about circling the pole.

I won't bother with the follow-up question -- you can also be a little closer than that and do N circuits around the pole where N is any integer (there's an infinite number of locations, in other words).

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I have one final brain teaser that should be a lot easier than the others:

Spell one word out of the letters in "NEW DOOR".

17. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

You didn't say it had to use all the letters, so:
    Wed
    Drew
    Den
    Wood
    etc.

18. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

No, you have to use all the letters lol.

19. Velorien

Velorien Member

ONE WORD.

20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Correct!

That's it from me.