A God am I - Egyptian Magic

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Psiweapon, Aug 7, 2012.

1. hafu78

hafu78 Member

Was it the full asp-imhotep-anubis-ra sandstorm? Cus i was busting that out at like +6 magic power and it was slaughtering imp diggles in 1 cast, demonic muscle diggles in 1 or 2, depending on where i cast it.

2. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

wide AoE attacks and Blood Magic combined will always be OP. deal with it. :cool:

But seriously, its true. Promethian, Necronomiconomics, and now Egyptian Magic are all like that. get a room full of mobs to cast on and usually you end up with lots of free XP.

3. Borodin

Borodin Member

Agreed. Personally, I have no problems with somebody who wants to play this way, or somebody who wants to play without any magic, at all. I won't choose either, but having a variety of both playing styles and difficulties levels due to the combination of skills seems to me a good thing to do. It leaves the decision of how difficult you want things in the hands of the player.

4. hafu78

hafu78 Member

Good point. I do like playing mage, and it did seem a bit OP, but I guess it's a fair trade for the fact that I'm one-shotted by a diggle.

5. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

This. Particularly with the cost of most AoE spells going up, and mana draining enemies proliferating. It can be very easy to wind up short on mana, even with all three support skills consistently refilling you, then life gets tricky for a while...

6. Borodin

Borodin Member

Glass cannons are fun to play, and they require a nice balancing act.

7. hafu78

hafu78 Member

The balancing is a bit hilarious when you're busting out 40+ squares of crowd control that 1-shot most things in the game, then fill your mana instantly via blood mana, one of my 6 phylacteries, that one ley lines ability, or just chug down some booze or a potion. It's a pretty fun way to play, provided you can avoid taking any hits at all.
    PS- diggle rocketeers FML

8. Borodin

Borodin Member

Six phylacteries? They must be wheeling your character between rooms on a gurney. :D

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You know, that post made me realize something amusing.

A certain Voldemort from a certain book series would really like Blood Magic - it is much more convenient for splitting his soul into seven parts than what he had to do in the books.

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

But he did all that for fun. (Typical child book villains.)

11. Hot-D

Hot-D Member

If it was nerfed, I wonder how it was before.
    I cleared 200 monsters in a level 15 zoo just yesterday by spamming Sandstorm to the point where the soundtrack bugged because of all the data the game had to register at the same time.
    Same for Diggle Hells. I cleaned 3 of them before to meet Digula and beat the crap out of him (Sandstorm was useless though).
    And then came Dredmor who was a complete joke: License to Cast > Wyrgling to block his way > Spam Tactical Pyre to win.

Here is the build you need to cakewalk your way through the Dungeon:

Egyptian Magic [of course]
    Ley Lines [of course]
    Magic Training (License to Cast, magic power)
    Blood Magic (Blood Mana, Soul Steal)
    Promethean Magic (Wyrgling, Tactical Pyre, Infernal Torus)
    Fleshsmithing (Knit Tissue, oh boy, does it save the day)

The last skill is up to you but Alchemy will keep boosting your magic power so I recommend that.

Of and for a reason I don't understand, my wizard could beat up enemies and knockback them, even on level 15. Egyptian Magic is so overpowered.

12. Borodin

Borodin Member

Are you running the latest patch, 1.1.12? Because all the reports I've seen write of requiring many casts to clear out a zoo, and some debuffs, as well. I'm leaving my modded character and trying out something like you suggest (Psionics substituted for Promethean), but I won't be able to play sufficiently to test it for some time.

By the way, to whomever is currently managing the wiki: It needs an update for Sandstorm.

13. Hot-D

Hot-D Member

Yup, I run this patch. And while I had to do several casts (2 max) on later levels, it was absolutely no matter. Thanks to Blood Magic, I could spam it all day and my mana would keep being replenished by the many deaths the first two sandstorms created. 18 mana points is not that much anyway when you got over 250 MP.
    Of course, I did a character who was fully wizard-oriented. I also think the many haywire my spells created explain partly why my character was so powerful.
    Here is a screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    And Blood Magic buffs nor Test of Time were on. Otherwise, my sagacity and my magic power would have been over 100.

14. Frelus

Frelus Member

He did it for Ultimate Arcane Power (I like whoever gets the ref)

wRAR likes this.
  15. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Shouldn't he have said the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons?

wRAR likes this.
  16. Borodin

Borodin Member

Then I'd suggest it isn't Egyptian Magic that's so overpowered, but the build. And that there's nothing wrong with the build, if someone wants to play that way--as opposed to, say playing Egyptian Magic with only Blood Magic as a support skill, instead of that plus Magic Training and Ley Walker. Everybody should have the option to make the game as easy or tough as they like, as simple or micromanaged.

But that really is quite a stats picture you've attached. Gave me a good laugh. :D

I take it you used magic-oriented items and encrusts to help?

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

"Noseless Ones win forever!" to a random hobo for the look on his face?

"Tea and Potato-Chips?" to his arch enemy to be kind?

"I eat Squid-Deer!" to his shrink because he thinks that may help "Resolve" his problem...

God. I could keep going...

18. Hot-D

Hot-D Member

Well, I completely forgot about encrusts and when I checked, I saw Alchemy doesn't provide good ones when it comes to enhance magic power. But you can be sure I used the best items I found for it. 2 cybernetic orbs, magic sandals, cloak of sagan, the best belt, the best hat, the best rings... The only thing I missed was a good neck item, like a Time Lord Scarf...And good pants, but according to the wiki, there is no magic enhancing pants. I guess the power doesn't flow there.
    Otherwise, yup, It was minmaxing at its finest.

19. Borodin

Borodin Member

All that wand polishing, you know.

Which supplies a very satisfactory result when after all that careful collecting and sifting, Dredmor goes down. Yes, I hear you. :)

20. Borodin

Borodin Member

So has anybody documented the changes to Sandstorm? Curious what those specifically are.