A Bag of Questions

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Steelsong, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Steelsong

Steelsong Member

I just jumped back into the game a few days ago, after an absence of about 8 months. I have to say, the game is much improved, no more game-breaking bugs (nice try with the giant beetle stampede though, but my militia captain single-handedly dispatch the beasts before they did any real damage, hohoho).

I can actually start to enjoy the game now, and after a few restarts, I have a thriving colony currently populated with about 30 well-adjusted colonists, well supplied with pumpkin stew and corn chowder, enough surplus to last a few days if needed, and industry is just starting to gear up.

Things are looking good, but there are few nagging questions I have with the game, namely what things or items do:

1. I see that ammunition got turned into "Crate of Combat Supplies". Nice touch with the recipe change and adding gunpowder. The "gasoline and orange juice concentrate" recipes we had before was driving me nuts, at least this is more accurate relative to the RL stuff. But I'm confused with what these new Combat Supplies actually do. I made a few, but the crates just sit there in storage while my soldiers bang away with their guns without worries. What gives?

2. Landmines, I'm still a bit confused with whether these things need the bad guys to step directly on them or are they proximity-fused to blow when they're close? Also, would an exploding landmine cause another nearby landmine to detonate as well?

3. What in the world is Sulphur Tonic for?

4. Is there any effectual difference between beer/chica and their hard distilled liquor counterparts?

5. Did fertilizer get nerfed for removal from the game? I can still make it, but it appears to have no function anymore. It would be shame, because with the way some of these crops grow, we can do with some miracle-grow.

6. Why are gambions so expensive and time-consuming to build? If I remember, just about every New World settlement in the early days was fortified soon after they were established. One log per gambion is just too much for cost effective walling of even a small-sized settlement. Can't we have a workshop convert logs into gambion "supplies" instead? Maybe 1 log for 3 gambions, even 1 to 2 I'll accept.

2. berkstin

berkstin Member

1. Combat supplies are not useful yet. Don't waste resources on them (I even forbid my colonists from hauling them back from foraging raids)
    2. Dunno. Never bothered much with them but I do think they can trigger other explosions?
    3. I think sulphur tonic helps with physical ailments and laudanum helps with mental issues. Although now that barber shop is installed maybe not...
    4. No. In one recent build I noticed my distillery making beer out of corn (hello Budweiser!)
    5. See combat supplies above.
    6. Excellent question! I know the whole military part of the game is being heavily worked on now so hopefully this will be addressed.

3. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Just a note to say that these answers reflect the experimental build of the game and not stable, which is 2 patches behind and does not yet have the barber.

berkstin likes this.
  4. Wolg

Wolg Member

It's a madness curative (in the style of the era) for those who have gone over the edge, though drinking it inflicts injury, potentially fatal if the subject is grievously hurt already.

Regarding the effectiveness of booze types, madness has been undergoing a rebalance of late, these may be part of it. I believe the design intent is brewed < distilled < Laudanum, though lower strength preparations may still help with colonist moods if not their state of sanity.

5. berkstin

berkstin Member

Apologies for not pointing out how experimental I am. Also, wow, I was WAY off on the sulphur tonic, huh?

6. Steelsong

Steelsong Member

Thanks for the answers guys :D.

I been sticking to the stable release, I'm assuming this barber shop serves as an infirmary? I got to say, this game is starting to get good. Current colony breached 70+ pop, its a good feeling after the crashing, stuttering nightmare that was 8 months ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Hey, nice colony! And yeah, we're getting there, slowly but surely...

8. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

It's a common belief that sulphur tonic cured ailments and laudanum madness (And a lesser extent the opposite), so you're not the only one who has made that assumption at one time or another. :p

Even after the Health/Morale bars were introduced and it was pointed out that colonists drinking sulphur tonic were losing health immediately on drinking the tonic, you had discussions going on with comments still suggesting sulphur was curing colonists. hehe